Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Do you crave sugar and carbs when you are sick?

• Do you crave sugar and carbs when you are sick?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 17, 2023 at 2:00 pm

My hubby, Manny, and I have been PHighting COVID again. Thankfully, I am still at home and have been doing reasonably well, especially compared to the first time.

My appetite has been fluctuating. I looked this up and found this is not uncommon. However, I crave sugary foods and carbs. Plus, starting low-dose steroids a few days ago isn’t helping.

I’ve eaten 3 packs of Giant Chewy Sweettarts in a few days. It’s Manny’s fault for buying me multiple packs at once. Hehe. I’ve wanted bagels, pasta, and carbs.

When you are sick, do you crave sugar and carbs?

jen-cueva replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Carol Volckmann

April 17, 2023 at 5:07 pm

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Very interesting topic. My husband, Dick, does not want anything to eat when he is sick. I have to force him to drink water! For me, I crave carbs! Funny how your bodies respond differently 🤔. It is a good question.</p>

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2023 at 12:51 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, I usually do want soups and things. However, carbs and sugars are also something I crave. Maybe soup and warm fresh bread. Manny always wants burgers and pizzas when he is sick. But these are his favorite foods, so they are his comfort foods.

I am more like Dick most of the time when I am sick. But when I am hungry, I crave sugar and carbs. It is strange, but like everything else, we are different regarding appetites when sick.

What types of carbs do you crave? Does it seem that Dick takes longer to recover because he is stubborn with taking in anything, fluids, and nutrition?

• Carol Volckmann

April 18, 2023 at 4:17 pm

Even though Dick doesn’t eat or drink enough water when he is sick, he does recover faster than I do. It usually takes me twice as long to recover. Maybe that’s the answer. While I crave pasta, breads, soup and crakers he gets well!! Go figure!!

• jen-cueva

April 19, 2023 at 1:36 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, that’s interesting! We always hear that we need to eat to recover. Dick must be one Superman! I’m grateful that he recovers to care for you as you recover. We both are fortunate to have such loving husbands.

Manny’s pizza and burgers heal him quicker than my soups, carbs, and sweets!

• Jimi Mcintosh

May 7, 2023 at 12:18 am

Yes I crave my sugar, I throw a sugar-free cough drop and try to think about something else. I allow myself 2 teaspoons of sugar per week. I have to measure my sugar twice a day, trying to stay below level of being put on new meds

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2023 at 1:11 pm

Hi @jimi, do you have diabetes, then? Maybe you shared before, and I forgot. I know they watch mine, but my sugar is often lower. However, It isn’t because I have no sugar. But I do try and limit it on most days.

You know we all have days when we stress eat. Or is this just something I do?

Jimi, you do such a great job at managing all of your health conditions. Does your wife stick to a strict diet, too?