Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Do you ever feel vulnerable?

• Do you ever feel vulnerable?

Posted by pulmonary-hypertension-news-moderator on April 20, 2018 at 7:05 am

“When I was younger and trying to figure out how to be strong through testing, surgeries, and procedures, I never thought it was a sign of strength to express my most vulnerable emotions. But I now realize that vulnerability — crying when I need to, feeling my strongest emotions, talking about them openly, or expressing them through writing — is a true sign of strength and bravery.” Brittany Foster

Read more of what Brittany has to say about vulnerability here: “Managing Chronic Illness Taught Me that Vulnerability Is a Sign of Bravery

Do you agree that it can take alot of courage to be vulnerable? Or do you think being vulnerable is a weakness?

beverly-repouille replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • brittany-foster

April 20, 2018 at 11:47 am

I think that it can be so hard for anyone to express their vulnerability and emotions. I feel like a large part of that has to do with pressures that society puts on others about what it looks like to be “brave”. For most of my life, I didn’t think that bravery looked like crying and breaking down. Sometimes it’s necessary and cleansing to have a good cry! Anyone else feel refreshed after a good cry sesh?

• beverly-repouille

May 2, 2018 at 12:44 pm

I don’t see crying as a negative in others, but in myself, I’ve always had a hard time with. For years, through many challenging things, I’ve always tried to keep a “stiff upper lip.” Now, I find it very difficult to cry at all. I will go to any lengths to hold it in. It is hard changing the “habits” of a lifetime.

• brittany-foster

May 2, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Beverly,
      I can definitely relate to these feelings. I always felt the need to put on a brave face. When I finally allowed myself to have breakdowns and cry when I needed to, it was very difficult to manage the flood of emotions I felt. It felt as though everything I once held back came full force at once. I think the hardest part of managing the difficult emotions is feeling them so fully at first. It’s as if I need practice on accepting my emotions as they come so I dont feel as overwhelmed by it all.

• beverly-repouille

May 2, 2018 at 3:06 pm

I think you’ve hit it on the head! That’s exactly it!