Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Do you experience fluctuations in body temperature?

• Do you experience fluctuations in body temperature?

Posted by Brittany Foster on March 5, 2020 at 10:43 am

Lately I have been way more sensitive to fluctuations in body temperature. I don’t necessarily have a “fever” by definition, but I end up feeling pretty warm and my temperature will read 99.6 to 100.0. Usually I get clammy, and just feel kind of light headed out of nowhere when my temperature rises.

I am not sure about others, but my baseline body temperature and what is considered “normal” for me is 97.0 to 97.5 . Sometimes it is even in the higher 96.8 range.

Do you have a lower baseline body temperature? What feels like a fever to you? Are you sensitive to a fluctuating body temperature?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Colleen

March 5, 2020 at 2:31 pm

@brittany-foster menopause can cause those fluctuations in temperature. I’ve also had the personal experience of it seeming to be a symptom of being run down. My theory is that our body goes into overdrive as it tries to deal with our exhaustion. That is just my opinion than and not based on anything a doctor ever told me.

I know you know this…make sure you tell your doctor about the fluctuations you are experiencing.

• Kimberly

March 11, 2020 at 3:17 pm

I’m so glad this topic came up. My body temp is crazy. I can be sitting doing nothing and all of a sudden my face and arms will get super red, like a I have a sunburn ???? and it radiates heat like crazy. If you touch my arm or face you would think I had a high temp. Also I’ll start to sweat horribly. The sweat just pours off of me. It will last anywhere from 20 mins to hours.

My normal body temp is 96.5 so if I get up to 99 there’s something wrong.

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Kimberly,
    Same here with the low body temperature. I really feel it like I have a true fever if my temp is anything above 99. I also get flushed and my hands swell when I am warm. They get really sensitive to touch too when they’re hot like that. Do you experience sensitivity in your extremities?

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Colleen,

I always let my doctors know about this. Some say that it is just hormonal but I have been having weird symptoms latelt even with bone and joint pain. I had a bone density scan. The nurse received the results but then told me my doctor would have to call me and let me know next steps so it’s a little concerning to me.

• Libby

May 8, 2020 at 1:02 pm

My baseline body temp is always 97-ish as well. For me it is the opposite, I am always freezing cold, I think due to my body temp. But then when it actually IS warm/hot outside, I don’t seem to handle the heat real well.

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2020 at 2:15 pm

@libby, my body temp usually runs a bit lower too. I am often cold because of my anemia. But I tend to get hot and do not do well in extreme temps either. I think the combination of meds, illnesses, and hormones is my culprit.

I think that you are much younger than I am, but are you anemic? What other medical issues do you have? Often that, meds, and how our bodies adjust can affect temperature.

How are you doing, BTW?

• joyce

May 23, 2020 at 12:00 pm

First, I had no idea lasix could cause hearing problems! I have been taking it for about 14 years and I do have some hearing loss. Also, when I am done with the usual things like laundry, housework, and I sit for a while, i get such cold chills. they are almost painful. This has been happening for a few years. I had asked my dr. about it. its a daily thing and the only relief is to turn on the electric blanket. this is only in the colder months. the heat is on to a reasonable temp. and turning it up does not help. thankfully, the weather is headed toward summer. my dr. said “well, i get chilly easily too, why dont you get a space heater to use when you sit.” Im pretty tired of being humored.

• jen-cueva

May 24, 2020 at 12:53 pm

Hi @jas186, I also have been taking Lasix for about 15 years. I have had some changes in hearing but contributed it to age. I hope to see an ENT if this continues.

I know that many PH patients do have problems with their temperature fluctuating. I tend to get cold easily, but I also have anemia. I have never noticed this happening after I have done chores. It is sporadic for me. I also use a heated blanket as needed.

But, I also get hot flashes and sweat easily, but this is more at night. I am sorry that your doctor is not taking you seriously. This can be frustrating.

• Jimi Mcintosh

May 27, 2020 at 8:35 pm

My normal body temp
    Is now 97.2, only see 98.6 when I feel a fever coming on. I experience frequent chills, usually lower extremities arecold, upper torso warm. Weather changes really leave me disoriented and not certain of how to dress for the day

• jen-cueva

May 28, 2020 at 1:58 pm

Interesting @jimi, I, too, tend to run on the lower side. Thanks for that reminder, I have been sick, and my temp was 99.1 and I was like, I do not have a fever. But with my norm on the low side, it possibly was.

Weather changes here in Texas are something that I can never prepare myself for.