• Do You Feel Exhausted After PFTs?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 10, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Pulmonary function tests, or PFTs, are done often for those living with PH and other lung issues. @dawnt, mentioned in another post that she had PFTs the day prior, but did not think that she overdid it. I tend to become exhausted easily when I have to do PFTs.

What about you? Do you find that blowing through a hose, like doing PFTs is tiring and exhausting? Let’s talk about this.

Colleen replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • mendo-bruce

August 11, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Beside PH, I also have end stage emphysema (FEV1 19%, PA 48 mmHg) I don’t have any problem at all with the PFT test, my biggest problem is catching my breath after walking to the lab with my big E-tank strapped to my roller-walker.

I do find the skill of the person administering the test has a big influence on the ease or difficulty of the test. Fortunately, I am treated at a large university medical center with a dedicated pulmonary lab that performs dozens of them every day.

Of course the 6 minute walk test wears me out a bit, particularly the one done without oxygen that medicare requires regularly to remain qualified for O2. I drop to the 70’s after about 2 mins with that one and they end the test then, lol

• Colleen

August 11, 2020 at 9:59 pm

@jenc my son usually felt warn out after his PFT’s. When his PH worsened he even collapsed during one. I use to watch his face get redder and redder with each step closer to 6 minutes.

@mendo-bruce you brought up an important point. Yes, just walking to the appointment would often wear my son out too. For that reason I often grabbed a hospital wheelchair to get him from point A to B in the hospital, especially when he had a 6 minute walk to do once he got there.