Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Cueva

Pulmonary function tests, or PFTs, are done often for those living with PH and other lung issues. @dawnt, mentioned in another post that she had PFTs the day prior, but did not think that she overdid it. I tend to become exhausted easily when I have to do PFTs.

What about you? Do you find that blowing through a hose, like doing PFTs is tiring and exhausting? Let’s talk about this.

Mendo Bruce
      Participant

Beside PH, I also have end stage emphysema (FEV1 19%, PA 48 mmHg) I don’t have any problem at all with the PFT test, my biggest problem is catching my breath after walking to the lab with my big E-tank strapped to my roller-walker.

I do find the skill of the person administering the test has a big influence on the ease or difficulty of the test. Fortunately, I am treated at a large university medical center with a dedicated pulmonary lab that performs dozens of them every day.

Of course the 6 minute walk test wears me out a bit, particularly the one done without oxygen that medicare requires regularly to remain qualified for O2. I drop to the 70’s after about 2 mins with that one and they end the test then, lol

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

@jenc my son usually felt warn out after his PFT’s. When his PH worsened he even collapsed during one. I use to watch his face get redder and redder with each step closer to 6 minutes.

@mendo-bruce
      you brought up an important point. Yes, just walking to the appointment would often wear my son out too. For that reason I often grabbed a hospital wheelchair to get him from point A to B in the hospital, especially when he had a 6 minute walk to do once he got there.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account