Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Teens and Young Adults Do you have a college roommate or live in a single-occupant dorm room?

• Do you have a college roommate or live in a single-occupant dorm room?

Posted by Colleen Steele on April 16, 2024 at 6:49 pm

If you are a patient or parent of a college student who has PH or received a transplant, what are the plans for living on campus? Are you hoping to get a single-occupant dorm, or do you want a roommate(s)?

My son is a heart and double-lung transplant recipient and will live on campus for the first time beginning in August. It costs more, but we have decided to apply for a single dorm room, and his doctor supports that decision. As nice as it would be to have the roommate experience, his health remains my son’s priority, and he’s hoping having a single dorm room will help at least a little to protect him from illnesses.

What are your thoughts on this?

Colleen Steele replied 1 week, 3 days ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 17, 2024 at 8:08 pm

Hi @Colleen, I agree that, with Cullen being post-transplant, this is the best decision. His health is a top priority. Are there any grants to help pay for these extra costs because he is post-transplant? I recently read about scholarships and grants for rare diseases and common illnesses. I’ll see if I can locate that again.

Please keep us posted. I’ll be praying he gets that private room. It won’t be long until he’s off. Bittersweet!🤗

• Colleen Steele

April 18, 2024 at 7:20 pm

@jen-cueva I think there are grants for post-transplant students but to be honest, we have been so busy we haven’t looked into them. I’m guessing it’s past deadlines for first semester but if you happen to find that link I will check it out! Thanks!

• jen-cueva

April 19, 2024 at 2:31 pm

Yes, that’s so true, @Colleen. It won’t be long until he moves in. What weekend is move-in weekend? I know that it will be difficult yet exciting that he, too, will attend the same University as you did.

I’ll most definetely share any of those grants and scholarships when I find where I saved it at. My brain seems to fail me often. 🙈

• Colleen Steele

April 19, 2024 at 5:39 pm

@jen-cueva they don’t have a set date for move-in day yet but it will probably be the last week of August or first week of September. I’m so excited for him!