Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

Have any of you invested in a medical alert system? I think this would be beneficial even if you have family at home in case you are in another room and unable to yell for help.

If you have one what kind do you use? What is the upside and downside of have one? Have you ever had to push your alert button and how effective was it in getting you help quickly?

Please share your experience.

Jen Cueva

Hi @colleensteele, I do not have a medical alert system. My hubby has commented a few times that this would be helpful while he is at work during the week, especially after I have had several falls in recent weeks.

He usually calls me at least twice while on his breaks at work. If I do not answer, he panics. Poor guy, I am often on a call and forget to tell him ahead of time, so he freaks out. Once he was ready to clock out and head home when I text him that I was OK.

Years ago, my mom and I ordered a life alert necklace for my grandmother. My mom was living here at the time, and we were worried about her being alone. A few times, my grandmother “accidentally” pushed it. We joked back then about her wanting the good-looking paramedics to stop by- hehe. Thankfully we never needed it for a fall.

I am sure that some others have used some type of alert, and this is not a bad idea, especially those who are living alone or stay home alone for periods.

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

@jenc this might be one of those things that people associate with a certain age group. I know my son struggled many times with things that he thought he was too young to need – oxygen, handicap placard, pacemaker, etc.. The reality is, every age group should be open to whatever is available to keep them safe and well.

Do you know if they only work when at home or can it be used when out of the house too?

Jen, I sympathize with your husband’s anxiety. He just wants to make sure you are safe even when he isn’t there. You are so loved.

Dawn
      Participant

Hi @colleensteele, I don’t have a medical alert but have been thinking about having one. I live alone (plus my two dogs), and between the ph and my knee issue I have fallen more in the past couple years than ever before. No serious injuries, but it does make me wonder if it might not be a good idea. I think about the ‘I’m only 61’, but better to have a safeguard in place before you need it. We got one for my mother, even though she lived with my brother & his wife, after she fell at home for the first time. It did give us a sense of security because if she couldn’t get the button it also had a fall detector feature. If the monitoring center couldn’t reach her they could call us, and I had it set up that they always called me when anything happened. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing commercials for ones that are usable wherever you are, not just at home.

Jen Cueva

@colleensteele, I agree! I think too often that we do tend to associate these things with age. Like Cullen, the handicap placard, the oxygen, the wheelchair all took time to adjust. I think for me, it was even more of a challenge as I was a nurse. You would think that would help, but I associate those things with sick and or the elderly, and I did not want to think of myself as either. ( Humm, may have another column idea)

I am loved, and I am grateful that my family loves and cares for me so much. This is all so difficult for him, as you know how this affects caregivers. It hurts my heart, knowing how frightened he gets.

The medic alert we got for my grammar years ago would work inside and out. I am already not allowed to get in the pool when no one is home. I barely get out back lately with the weather and all my body is dealing with. I know that eventually, we may look into something, especially if this continues.

Jen Cueva

Wow, @dawnt, I did not recall that you were so tall! I would be short next to you-hehe.

I do think that it would be an excellent idea for you to get one with being alone. I know that your fur babies are there. Like Sasha, she knows when something is wrong, but sadly, they cannot call someone. What type are you looking into buying? I have not yet looked into any but would be curious to what some have used or thought about.

Anyone else has experience with any medical alert devices that would like to share your experiences?

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

@dawnt I don’t know if it’s covered by insurance or the cost out of pocket, but if you are able to get one it sounds like it might be a great peace of mind to you. Same for you @jenc. If the age thing bothers you let me put it into perspective. My son is 20 and he and his brother have been kicking around the idea of sometime in the future getting an apartment together. Cullen doesn’t know it yet but if they do this I am going to recommend a medical alert system for him. I can understand if he doesn’t want to wear it out but when home alone, especially during days he is having issues, I think it would be good for him to have it. I’m not suggesting it until they actually get an apartment because I have the feeling it’s going to be an eye roll and argument.

Jen Cueva

Thanks, @colleensteele, I do agree that this would be helpful for myself at times when I am home alone. I also agree with having something for Cullen when they do move out. I love that they can share an apartment. My sisters and I would have never been able to do that-hehe. I do love them both, but living with them, even back then, would not work. But, I know as far as Cullen, this will offer you some bit of security when he is there alone, especially when he has “bad days.”

I would also guess, especially at his age, to expect some eye-rolling. My hubby got that, too, when he mentioned it-hehe. We do plan to discuss this again, and I do need to check to see if insurance covers the cost. I have no clue what they cost. Have you priced any yet that you have in mind that may work for Cullen?

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

@jenc I haven’t researched it at all. There have been too many here and now concerns to deal with and as much as they want to, I don’t think an apartment is going to happen for the boys anytime soon. I think they are going to stay at home and save their pennies for a while before making that leap to independence.

I have been thinking about my parents too and that maybe it’s time for them to consider this option. My mom is always so assertive with their care – I’m surprises she hasn’t looked into already. Whenever I finally get out to see them I’m going to mention it.

Let me know if you start considering it more seriously.

Marsha Ashurst
      Participant

Yes I have one. I live alone with my kitty. I was just diagnosed with PH six weeks ago and my son encouraged me strongly to get one. He did all the research on the various systems and purchased ADT. ADT is a Home security Company That has a health Division. A few times I’ve accidentally set off the alarm and find that ADT calls me within one minute.

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

@jane42 I have heard of ADT but I thought they just didn’t security. I didn’t know they have a health division too. I might also suggest this to my parents.

Although it might feel a little embarrassing when you accidentally set it off, I’m sure they are quite use to it happening. It’s great that they respond so quickly – at least now you know!

Jen Cueva

@jane42, like Colleen, I have heard of ADT, we had that security on our previous home. I did not know that they had a health division and offered this service. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I am grateful that your son suggested this, and even if you hit it accidentally, better to be safe. What is your kitty’s name?

How are you doing with this new diagnosis of PH?

Marsha Ashurst
      Participant

Kitty is Tinker. I got her from the humane society right after my daughter died. She had been encouraging me to get a cat and so Right After she died, I Did. Tinker has been an absolute comfort to me and I believe strongly that my daughter’s spirit guided me to her.

I continue to struggle with this diagnosis and continue to be mostly in denial about it. I am both a nurse practitioner and a clinical psychologist and so know a lot about the various stages of the grieving process. That being said it was just a few days ago that it occurred to me that I was smack dab in the middle of it. While being overwhelmed is not considered to be a part of grieving, I‘m adding it. I’m absolutely overwhelmed.

Jen Cueva

Hi @jane42, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. I can only imagine that loss and heartache never fades.

Tinker, is cute! I am grateful that you have her and she comforts you and when you needed comfort the most. How long have you had her now?

Awesome that you have such medical expertise. I would agree that being overwhelmed is apart of the grieving process. I must say that I feel overwhelmed, most days. I am unsure if this is my anxiety or grieving process. I would suspect a bit of both.

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

Oh @jane42 I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. I agree, overwhelmed should be considered a part of the grieving process. Treating others and treating yourself are two very different things. I’m not surprised that you have been grieving and didn’t realize it.

Know that we are here for you. Feel free to share your feelings anytime. You will always receive understanding and compassion here.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account