Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Do you have a special animal in your life?

• Do you have a special animal in your life?

Posted by Brittany Foster on October 22, 2019 at 8:38 am

Yesterday, after months of my boyfriend and I being stuck in a “rut” of emotions with the loss of two people so close to him and I, we decided that it was time to get a dog. I had absolutely NO IDEA what I was getting myself into when I walked into the puppy shop. All of them were absolutely adorable. I fell in love first with a Bernice Mountain Dog. Sure, that dog gets to be a good 20 lbs to 40 lbs more than me, but it was the cutest puppy ever. After looking at a second store, we found OUR PUPPY. He is a two month old King Charles Cav and his name is Bernie Borrelli (BB for short). He already slept through the night with me and I couldn’t help but stare at him all night long. Going on about an hour sleep right now, but it totally feels worth it and just warms my heart so much!

I really want to think about getting him to be a certified service dog so I can take him public places with us. I am already going to take him to introduce him to my therapist today and my doctor. He is hypoallergenic so he would be an adorable addition to any office space (including my office from home). I can’t get over how adorable he is. There are pictures on my instagram account @recharged.rewired if you want to check him out .

Do you have a special animal in your life? Did you have them from when they were babies? Is your animal certified as a service animal?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 22, 2019 at 9:43 am

Awww, I saw the pics, I am SO happy for you and Jay. A little fur baby is great to have to cuddle with and love. I love those King Charles Cavs, there are adorable. I hope that you get some sleep and cuddle with BB.

Sasha is not a service dog, we did not get her until she was a year old. She is a great cuddle buddy, but also can be a busy body and keep me busy, Hehe

I cannot wait to see the pics. Love you and get some rest today.

• Brittany Foster

October 22, 2019 at 10:36 am

Jen,
      LOL I wish that sleep was a part of my schedule today. I feel like I won’t be getting a lot of sleep for the next few weeks. It’s literally like having a newborn baby. He slept in the bed with us last night, I know people say to not let the animals sleep next to you, but he was already SO COMFORTING to be sleeping next to! I ended up taking him into the guest room to cuddle with me when my boyfriend was snoring hahaha! I need a snuggle buddy when the snoring keeps me in a different room LOL

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 8:31 am

Oh, Brittany, I am so sorry that you are still not getting much sleep. I hope that you and BB will soon get on a schedule that will work for you both. If it helps, our Sasha sleeps with us, too. She is the only fur baby that has ever slept in our bed, Hehe

Yes, she is rotten, just as I am sure BB will be if not yet.

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 8:57 am

Jen,
        LOL totally spoiled already. Although I did have to leave him yesterday for a couple hours while I went to a doctor appointment. He was whimpering a little when I left but when I came home he was just laying down in her pack and play area, didn’t even poop in it and was just calmly waiting for me. Such a good boy! I felt heartbroken leaving him, but I know that it’s better to get the dogs used to that when they are young and then when they are older they will be trained enough to not get into everything and anything LOL

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 9:11 am

LOL, I knew he would already be spoiled rotten! But, it sounds like he was a good boy yesterday. I know it breaks your heart leaving him, especially when he is whining. Yes, it is much better to teach him young.

Sasha loves to take rides, I started it. We would go to the Starbucks drive-thru. I only let her have a Puppicino(sp?) in my Jeep once. But in her Dad”s truck or her sister let her have it in her car. Now, if we go, she knows and starts coming over by the window. LOL

I think it was @colleensteele who said once that her fur baby loved these two? They are just whipped cream pretty much and can get messy.I usually just put a towel in my seat where she is at if I let her get it, LOL

• Carol Volckmann

October 22, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Brittney I am soooo happy for you and happy that BB found YOU! I don’t know who told you that your fur child should not be cuddled up with you on the bed, but you, BB and your boyfriend sleep well!

I have always had dogs in my life. I cannot imagine not having one sharing my/our life. Spirit our golden retriever came into our lives at 6 weeks after we lost River to cancer. Spirit was different from day one – he is am old soul. He especially seeks out people and other animals who need special attention.

Our oldest grandson (19) is going through tough times – Spirit will follow him and sit by him calming our grandson as he also did with my brother. While visiting my family in Rhode Island Spirit sought out my brother who is in so much pain he isolates himself away from everone. Spirit would not leave his side and brother came out of himself and talked, joked and told stories to the amazement of the whole family.

Spirit has enhanced our lives as I know BB will for you! His unconditional love will fill your heart every day! 🐶❤

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 8:54 am

Carol, what a heartwarming story. I know that our fur babies can certainly offer that unconditional love and cuddles. That is the best!

Spirit sounds like he is attached to your grandson. That is a great companion when dealing with things that life throws our way. I love reading your stories about spirit.

As I am typing in my office, my Sasha bear has to be in a chair next to me. She will look out the window for squirrels and lizards for a while. Then, if I am here for a while, she will nap in that chair.

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 11:03 am

Carol,
      I just melted at that story! I absolutely love that about dogs that they really can sense when someone just needs to be calm and they know the ones that they can mess around with and play rough with. My boyfriend always comes home and lets BB jump all over him and nip at him LOL I am definitely more calm with him since I am with him pretty much all day until my boyfriend gets home at 7. I felt like I was handing off a child last night when he came home because then I was finally able to get some house things done! It’s a lot to manage especially when they are a puppy and still training to use the bathroom. So far only 1 accident in the house but we have hardwood floors so it was pretty easy to clean up and won’t leave that lingering smell. So glad that your dogs make your life better too. It’s so hard to lose animals and I have also just lost two really close people to me and we knew it was time for some love back into your life! What better way than a puppy!?

• Colleen

October 23, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Carol,
      I honestly believe that just like people come into our life for a reason, so do animals. Have you read or seen the movie, “A Dog’s Purpose” and “A Dog’s Journey” by W. Bruce Cameron? If not, I highly recommend it! The movie isn’t bad but I would read the book first…the book is always better. @jenc @brittany-foster, the both of you would enjoy the books too!

• Brittany Foster

October 24, 2019 at 7:15 am

I heard that A Dog’s Purpose was really good ! I definitely need to get my hands on it. I admit, one of the only books that made me cry hysterically was Marley and Me. I really didn’t know I had a sweet spot in my heart for this but it was so good
        The movie made me cry so hard too. I definitely will read it before seeing it

• Colleen

October 22, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Congratulations Brittany! Your puppy is adorable! I 100% believe that dogs, as well as cats and birds, can be so therapeutic for anyone. In early September my column was about my son’s Jack Russell that he adopted after transplant. Honestly, I don’t know what he would have done without that dog. She is not a service dog but definitely a comfort companion. Enjoy all the love your fur baby will add to your life!

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 8:59 am

I probably wouldn’t want him to be a service dog because I still want him to play with others and be a dog and run around and interact with other animals, people etc. Service dogs are usually just tied to that one person. I want him to be a good family dog. So far he is the perfect mix of energy and rest, kind of similar to how I am LOL. He gets his second wind at night and starts running around like a maniac and then just sits on someone’s lap and falls asleep . the cutest! Best decision I’ve made in awhile.

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 9:15 am

Awww Brittany, it sounds like y’all are the perfect match. I understand about the service dog. You want him as an emotional support dog, right?

Sasha often goes crazy at night when her Dad gets home like that and often after dinner. Then finally she flops down and is out, LOL

Soon, BB will know when his Dad gets home. Sasha starts barking when she hears his truck and beats me to the door. Hehe

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 10:59 am

BB knows when his dad is home. B is more relaxed with me and we go on a few nice long walks about 30 minutes each during the day (I have been taking the o2 of course) but he isn’t bothered by it at all. When I first put it on he was like “what the heck is that!?” But it helps me to be able to run with him and enjoy our time more. He is already helping me take much better care of myself. I couldn’t believe that I slept for almost 10 hours last night. I usually sweat so much in the middle of the night, but this morning I woke up without sweating with the dog cuddled in the same position as we fell asleep together. It was so heart warming.

• jen-cueva

October 23, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Wow!!! First of all, 10 hours of sleep, you needed him earlier! That is so great to hear! I know that this helped you recharge some. I know that you have been going without much sleep at all. And, no sweating!!! Amazing!!

Too funny you mention that BB knows his Dad already. They learn fast. Sasha is all me until Dad gets home.

Sasha does not like to see me with my oxygen at first but then it is OK after a few minutes. I do not know why she wants to check it out first. Maybe she thinks it hurts me, IDK. They can be too funny.

It sounds like BB is feeling at home already. I love this!!!

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 4:12 pm

He definitely feels more at home. He is so tired from the 3.5 miles that we did today that he is sleeping on my lap and has been sleeping on my lap since we did our computer call LOL! Hope you have a good afternoon with your friend.

• Colleen

October 23, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Brittany, I agree, I wouldn’t want my son’s dog to be a service dog for that reason but it’s easy for them to become a therapy dog. I believe @kathleen-sheffer considers her dog to be a therapy dog and takes her everywhere.

• Kathleen Sheffer

October 23, 2019 at 10:58 pm

Ok so I basically minored in ADA in college.

Emotional support animals (ESA’s) do not have the same rights that service animals do. They’re not granted the same public access as service dogs. ESA’s aren’t allowed in food facilities, for instance. They’re not protected by federal law.

You do not need to get any special tags or proof or buy into a program to have a service dog (do not fall into the traps that have you pay a fee!). Federal law defines a service animals as follows:

“Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.”

So you have a disability, check. Now you need to train your dog to be under your control, behave appropriately in public, and perform a task that you cannot. No one can ask you what your disability is, but they can ask you if your dog is required because of a disability, and what your dog is trained to do. I have never been asked, but plan to say my dog is trained for “medic alert.” You can look up a list of categories that qualify as “work” for the service animal.

I stretch the rules a bit, but I live in dog-obsessed San Francisco where people take their pets everywhere. My dog is hypoallergenic and doesn’t bark. I sometimes put her in a dog backpack and no one knows she’s there (I’ve taken her to work meetings at cafes like this and the interviewer didn’t know). She brings joy to people who do see her.

On the other hand, I’ve been shopping in a grocery store and had someone’s dog barked at my dog and then jumped on me. And then he still claimed it was a service animal. Don’t be that guy.

• Brittany Foster

October 24, 2019 at 7:19 am

Thank you for all the info Kathleen. I want my dog to still be a pet so probably not going to have it as a service dog because I do want him to interact with other dogs and play. But I definitely will need to get him some type of training for commands so he can behave in places like therapy sessions, hospitals, etc. Actually want to look into getting him as a therapy dog so I can volunteer with him on weekends to visit nursing homes or hospitals with kiddos. Have to look into how to go about doing this.

• Carol Volckmann

October 23, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Hi Jen, sounds like Sasha Bear is very dear. I am so happy you have her in your life. They give us so much pleasure sometimes just watching them curled up sound asleep other times on the alert for that squirrel to run by! 🐶

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Carol,
      OMG too funny! sounds like my dog chasing after a bunch of leaves LOL too funny. Gotta love their energy. It keeps us going!

• jen-cueva

October 25, 2019 at 6:28 pm

So true, Carol. Sasha is such a great cuddle buddy. They certainly can help us on the rough days. She has such a personality, it is funny.

• Carol Volckmann

October 23, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Woof woof Brittney. You are right, puppies are new born requiring all of our attention. At the same time they give back so much of their little souls.

I can certainly understand why you would not want BB to be trained as a service dog allowing her to be a part of the whole family. What would be the difference if she were trained as a therapy dog?

What a wondrous new adventure for you, your boyfriend and BB!!

• Brittany Foster

October 23, 2019 at 3:58 pm

It definitely is a great new adventure for sure! I have walked with him over 3 miles today and he is absolutely exhausted. I feel like he is sleeping and doing exactly what I wish I was doing right now.

• Carol Volckmann

October 24, 2019 at 7:00 am

Colleen I also believe that people as well as animals come into our lives for a reason – purpose. I did see A Dog’s Purpose ad I think on netflix or prime
    I will get the book. Thank you!