Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions Do You Have A Watchman Implant for atrial fibrillation (afib)?

• Do You Have A Watchman Implant for atrial fibrillation (afib)?

Posted by Colleen on September 14, 2020 at 12:28 pm

One of our members mentioned the Watchman procedure/device. It is a small implant placed into the heart that can reduce the risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation. I read that it’s a permanent device that doesn’t have to be replaced and can’t be seen outside the body.

Do you have a Watchman, know someone who does? Is this something you have discussed with your doctor about possibly having in the future? Share your experience with us.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 14, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele for sharing this topic. Many here have Afib and may have some type of implanted device like a Watchman. I had never heard of that specific one.

We do all learn from one another. That is why this forum is so amazing!

• Joe Flynn

September 15, 2020 at 5:09 pm

I had it after my ablation now off all anticoagulation and loving it

• Colleen

July 8, 2021 at 3:23 pm

New member @peterseaford was just fitted for a Watchman in May and is hoping some members can share their experience with it.

Here is a link that provides information about the Watchman in case you aren’t familiar with it.

https://www.watchman.com/en-us/home.html

• Peter White

July 9, 2021 at 7:52 pm

After my triple bypass in 2002 I was on warfarin but had problems so switched to eliquis but just recently more problems so Watchman was inserted

Seeing doctor on Monday and hope to be off thinners but thought that next step was baby aspirin

have a beaut day

regards peter

• Peter White

July 12, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Hi – it’s me again – peter – saw my doctor and he has ordered a TEE for me on 21 July and , if all ok , then no more blood thinners but I read somewhere that some people are prescribed “baby” aspirin – we will soon know

Have had no problems to date – touch wood – but have one question – I received a photocopy of a Watchman card in the mail but it is only one side

I was told that the proper card has details on the reverse about emergency contacts

Unfortunately the lock down for COVID stops me from calling at the doctors office but over the phone all I get sent is another photo copy of the front

Would appreciate your advise as to if the reverse of the card is important at all

kind regards

peter

• Stephanie Mitchell

December 28, 2021 at 8:25 pm

I have permanent A-Fib and have had numerous cardioversions and two ablations, both of which lasted about 90 days before the A-Fib came back. My EP and I have decided to let the A-Fib do it’s thing as it’s the least of my numerous other medical issues.

• jen-cueva

December 29, 2021 at 11:42 am

Hi @stephanie, it’s great to see you post again. I know that you recently updated me after MIA for a while. @peterseaford will appreciate you sharing your experience with Afib and ablation.

Many I know wh have had an ablation need it more often than they initially thought. Have you found any relief yet, @peterseaford? with your many other medical issues, I hope that the

Stephanie, with your many other medical issues, I hope that the Afib isn’t much of a bother. After so ing, many say they tend to become accustomed to how this comes on and how it makes them feel. Some cardiologists tend to leave it last if other health concerns prioritize.

I wish you both all the best in the new year ahead. We are always here for support and look forward to your updates.