Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Do you have caffeine restrictions? How does caffeine affect you?

• Do you have caffeine restrictions? How does caffeine affect you?

Posted by Brittany Foster on January 7, 2020 at 3:59 pm

For most of my life I had to follow caffeine restriction guidelines. This was always something my cardiologist made me aware of as a child. I know that not everyone with a heart condition is the same, but I was even told to stay away from soda as a kid. It really does have an impact on my heart rhythm. It makes me very jittery and nervous when I have a cup of coffee and my body seems pretty sensitive to it. Even though it serves its purpose by waking me up, the payoff for it of the faster heart rate just isn’t worth that little caffeine rush that I feel.

Have you ever had caffeine restriction? Do you feel the side effects of caffeine stronger than others might?

Joanne Sperando replied 4 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Colleen

January 7, 2020 at 5:02 pm

Well, my son’s doctor’s for a while assumed my son just naturally understood that he had caffeine restrictions. He has always loved the frappacinos , chi tea and other specialty drinks. He let it slip one time that he was drinking them. The doctor was even less thrilled when he admitted that it was venti’s he was ordering. He eventually learned the hard way how much caffeine triggered his hear problems. He never totally gave it up but learned moderation. Post-transplant he can indulge a little more but is still careful.

• Brittany Foster

January 8, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Colleen,
    For the longest time I didn’t know that chai was made with caffeine and I always would get it or have it before classes in college especially because it was free in the cafeteria. I learned the hard way that it was what was causing the increase in my heart rate. That is when my doctors were like “well are you drinking any caffeine” and was like “nope just chai latte” and they’re like “ummmmm that usually has espresso in it” So then I was more cautious and it also helps if I take my heart rate medication BEFORE having that if I know I am going to be having that caffeine for the extra boost.

• Colleen

January 9, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Brittany, that is too funny because my son had the same experience. He was hospitalized for almost two weeks and one day the doctor came in and asked what he was drinking. He was like, “Oh, just a chai latte.” Let’s just say that did not go over well. The worst part was that I was the one who ran to Starbucks to get it for him. Not a great mom moment.

• V.R. Peterson

January 9, 2020 at 6:47 pm

Brittany, Chai only has caffeine if it’s made with green tea. Chai made with red tea (Rooibos) doesn’t have caffeine. Even with Rooibos tea, though, you need to be careful to not overdo it. Drink too much, and it can affect your liver.

• Denise K Thompson

January 9, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Oh, yeah. If you’re a migraine sufferer, there’s the caffeine juggling act to be played there, as well.

• Denise K Thompson

January 10, 2020 at 11:44 am

My heart rate is usually between 52 & 63 while at rest, but moving, even to go to the bathrm, raises me above 100. I drink a 50/50 folgers, cause they are the only co. that makes it. 1 cup each morning. I love french roast and would grind 1/2 & 1/2 if I did my own grocery shopping, but that’s over & I hate requesting special tasks for my husband, or I should say he hates special tasks…we both do.
    Don’t know what the dif is between albuterol vs caffiene, except the obvious breathing benefits. I find I try to get past a breathing crisis rather than jack my heart up with albuterol.
    Good topic, thanks.

• Brittany Foster

January 10, 2020 at 1:44 pm

@colleensteele My mom is always the culprit for getting me chai lattes from the Au Bon Pan in the hospital. They have really good chai latte and I always crave it when I am in the hospital . Probably because it was giving me that little “pick me up” that I needed. Funny that I didn’t know where that jolt of energy would come from. For the longest time I just blamed it on the fact that I was probably getting antsy and anxious being in the hospital! Now I blame the chai. I have is usually once a week though, especially towards the end of the week when I seem to be running low on energy.

• Colleen

January 10, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Brittany, your mom probably felt the same way I did, that you deserved a treat. My son always had a tendency to feel very cold, especially when he was in the hospital, so the latte was comforting as well as yummy. Post-transplant they haven’t seemed to mind him drinking caffeine, even during recovery, but when he was in heart failure, it was a big no-no! Not to say he didn’t still sneak one in for a treat every now and then.

• Aunt Lizzie

January 11, 2020 at 7:14 am

My cardiologist has no problem with me drinking caffeinated coffee. He knows I only have about 3 cups a day – usually instant coffee, but occasionally feel like something stronger and tastier. I have a small coffee cup of Turkish coffee (one small teaspoon coffee, one small teaspoon sugar). For some reason it doesn’t seem to cause me any problems with my heart rate, but if I drink too much instant coffee my heart starts tap-dancing all over the place – work that out ! Another thing, coffee has never perked me up – it actually relaxes me. By the way – no-one has mentioned decaf coffee. I’ve found that if you get a good brand, taste-wise it’s difficult to tell the difference between caffeinated and decaf. Cheers.

• Aunt Lizzie

January 11, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Spoiler alert ! Hot chocolate has or may have some caffeine, though not as much as coffee – more like the amount in decaf coffee. That is, according to Mr Google. At present the house across the road from me is fading in and out of view due to thick bushfire smoke (I’m in Parramatta, Sydney Australia) blowing up from fires down south, so damn it, I’m going to make myself a coffee right now, it can’t be any worse than breathing this smoke! Seriously, I’m fine, but it’s truly depressing having to stay inside for weeks on end because of the smoke. See ya’

• Aunt Lizzie

January 13, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Hi Brittany, Well I am managing OK so far as breathing is concerned because I simply stay inside if the smoke is too bad. If I can see the buildings down the street I’m OK – if they are obscured then that’s a good indication of how much smoke is around. Watching the continual TV news is very depressing. Mind you, one upside – we have the most glorious sunrises and sunsets. Sometimes the setting sun is a scarlet sphere in an orange sky. My camera will not pick it up, but I found a watercolour that did, so I will just have to paint it. One day the sun was an orange sphere with a diffuse orange halo all day – the smoke was very thick that day. Yesterday I wore my P2 facemask to walk up the road to the train station, and my heart was thumping by the time I got there. Bought myself a cappuccino at the station and relaxed on the train for my 40 minute ride to the City – not so bad. Blah, blah, blah – sorry – I sometimes need to express the good things in life. See ya’

• Joanne Sperando

January 14, 2020 at 1:45 pm

I know we should avoid caffeine due to it’s affect on our hearts but it’s also an irritant for the gut. I gave it up years ago and only indulge once in a blue moon.

• Colleen

January 14, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Joanne, that is very true! I know it does a number on me sometimes, especially if I drink too much in a day. To make matters worse, my favorite drink is peppermint mocha’s. When I complained to my doctor about acid reflux and we went over my diet, he actually laughed when I told him what I drink. He told me that was a double wammy, chocolate and peppermint. Have I cut back…not really. I haven’t learned my lesson yet.

• Colleen

January 14, 2020 at 6:53 pm

@auntlizzie I just read in your profile that you are in Australia. Now I understand better your struggle with smoke. My heart has been aching for the devastation there and I have been keeping Australia in my prayers. How close have the fires come to your home?

• Brittany Foster

January 15, 2020 at 12:12 pm

@joanne-sperando-schmidt it definitely is a stimulant. For those that have a strong reaction to stimulation (like myself) I find that I have to RUN and SPRINT to the bathroom after the first few sips of caffeine coffee. I’m sure it doesn’t actually work that fast, but it seems like it is perfect timing ALWAYS! LOL

• Joanne Sperando

January 15, 2020 at 4:06 pm

Colleen, there are just some foods we go ahead and eat and take the consequences! Been there, done that! I haven’t stepped into a Starbucks in years, but I do make myself an instant cappuccino with lactose free milk on occasion. We’re only human!

• Joanne Sperando

January 15, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Absolutely Brittany! A known GI irritant, same as alcohol, lactose, etc. etc!