Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Do you have days when you just need a “break”?

• Do you have days when you just need a “break”?

Posted by Brittany Foster on February 13, 2020 at 4:55 pm

I am sure this applies to a lot of treatments and therapies that we are on to manage our conditions, but I have noticed that there are days when I just need breaks from my oxygen therapy. Not only does it sometimes weigh heavily on my back, especially when I don’t have much strength to take it along with me, but it also sometimes just gets in the way. It really can feel freeing even if it’s just for a little while to take my oxygen off and go without it for a little. Of course, I can’t go without it for too long because I don’t want to cause damage to my body. But even having that few minutes of time that I can rest my nose, my back (from carrying it) and not having to worry about it running out feels like weight literally off my shoulder.

Do you have times where you have to take a break from the oxygen therapy? How do these breaks make you feel?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Colleen

February 14, 2020 at 2:40 pm

@brittany-foster my son could relate to your need for an occasional break from supplemental oxygen. He preferred using the oxygen mask. I can remember finding him sitting on our sofa or wandering around the house with it resting on top of his head the way people do with their sunglasses – and not attached to his oxygen. I would ask him how he thinks that is helping him. He would give me a deep sigh, look me straight in the eyes and say, “I-Just-Need-A-Break!”

• Brittany Foster

February 17, 2020 at 10:50 am

@colleensteele That is totally me ! I think that when I am feeling overwhelmed about other health conditions this seems to come out more for me and the whole ” I need a break” mentality really kicks in. But it’s true ! You really do just need a pause from it all sometimes.

• Margie Novak

February 18, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Hello Brittany and Colleen Margie here (again). “days when I need a break” you couldn’t have timed this question any better.. Yes, yes and again yes!! I just want to step outside and smell the seasons and the rain and life in general. I want to take a break from wearing my oxygen tubing so I can take a decent bath when I am not all caught up in my tubing! This week my family was in and on Friday I went to lunch with them (had to take my wheelchair); then on Saturday had to go down the steps and sit in the cellar and do about 3 loads of laundry (hate to keep climbing steps so I just sit there and wait)! You never realize how long a minute on a washing machine can be (LOL)! Then on Sunday my family wanted to meet before they headed home for brunch so I had to get ready again make-up and jewelry. And today – I am brain FRIED!!! I cannot do a thing. Paying bills and playing my game. Not even dressed!! May take a nap. Those 3 days were so long to me and to other people they are normal days! Will take me till Thursday to recover. Hang in there everyone we are PH fighters!!!! margie

• Vanessa Vaile

February 20, 2020 at 10:29 am

Yes yes yes. Resting numbers good right now so I’m taking what I call a nose break

• Colleen

February 20, 2020 at 5:59 pm

@vanessavaile that is great! Enjoy your nose break!

• Vanessa Vaile

February 21, 2020 at 5:49 pm

LOL. Breaks only work if you don’t take too long a break, remember to not do too much if it’s not a 100% resting break or take them on bad days.

• Carol alexander

March 11, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Oh yes their are days I need a break if I sit real still iam ok for a while it is so freeing but it doesn’t last ugh. Sometimes I will see someone and think to myself do you realize how lucky you are that you can breath so easy for you I to was like that once.

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 7:59 pm

Carol,

I can relate to the feeling of this when you see someone and you just stop and think “wow I wish I could do that” or you just have days where you wish things could be easier, even just for a little while ! It is hard!