Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Do You Have Experience Taking Lexapro?

• Do You Have Experience Taking Lexapro?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 12, 2021 at 9:19 am

I am unsure why but my Psychiatrist keeps switching my anxiety medication. I need it for anxiety, focus, and rest. This time, she switched me to Lexapro (escitalopram), starting at 5 mg each morning. We started last week with no improvements noted. But I know this, too, will take time.

Have your doctors changed meds after only a few weeks? I have been on 4-5 meds within the last 4-6 months for my anxiety.

Lexapro is an SSRI and helps with depression and, in my case, anxiety.

Have you or your loved one taken Lexapro? If so, was it effective for you or your loved one? Let’s talk about this important medication.

jen-cueva replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Colleen

April 12, 2021 at 2:13 pm

@jenc switching your meds as often as they are does seem a bit counterintuitive. It can take longer than a few weeks sometimes to experience improvement from an anxiety medication. If anything I could see adding a supplemental medication but not totally switching meds every few weeks.

I’m trying to remember if I was on Lexapro but I think it was Cullen. He was placed on it post-transplant during his Cancer scare. He had actually reached a point where he asked to be put on something and I believe that is what it was. I remember he felt an improvement. When his health improved so did his anxiety and he was weaned off of it. Hasn’t need it since but keeps it in mind should he need it again later.

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2021 at 9:22 am

Hi @colleensteele, thanks for your response. I, too, find this counterintuitive. I know for most all meds, it takes time for them to work and see any improvements. I am going to refuse if they want to switch again shortly.

I hope that they could increase the Lexapro if needed in the future but not want to keep switching meds. That in itself gives me anxiety.

I am grateful that it helped Cullen, but most importantly that he does not need it. I would love to get rid of some of my meds. But instead, it seems that my medical team keeps adding. Thanks for sharing his experience.

• V.R. Peterson

April 14, 2021 at 6:11 am

@jenc, I was on Lexapro several years ago. My doctor told me it would take 4-6 weeks to start noticing a difference, and that was about the time frame it took to start working for me.

• jen-cueva

April 14, 2021 at 9:21 am

Hi @mamabear007, thanks for your response on taking Lexapro. Do you recall what dosage you were on? I was started at the lowest dose, 5 mg, and they plan to adjust as needed. But my appt is about a month since starting.

I have not noticed any changes yet, but it all takes time. I am not planning to let them switch this one so fast.

Hugs to you from Texas<3

• V.R. Peterson

April 15, 2021 at 10:58 am

@jenc, I think they started me at 10mg. I eventually had to stop taking it — when I said “start working for me”, that’s about the time it took for the side effects to start. Something about SSRIs and antidepressants. Some make me more depressed, some give me a rash, and Lexapro turned me psycho. Since I was only taking it for physical side effects being caused by another medications, I simply stopped taking everything. I’ve never been a fan of starting another medication to deal with the side effects of another one, but with Lexapro, my doctor insisted. I should’ve listened to my gut.

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Oh no, @mamabear007! I hate that Lexapro turned you “psycho” I am OK thus far. But of course, it is only 5 mg and not had much time to take effect.

I am sensitive to meds, so they like to start at the lowest dosage possible. That and my bad kidneys aren’t helping. If this does not work, I don’t think I will try another SSRI. I need to see some benefits before I am OK taking any meds.

I totally agree with you. It often just creates a cycle, taking this med for side effects of this, etc. Thanks for sharing your experience; it is valuable. Often, our gut is on track.

I hope that you are doing well this week and keeping busy as usual.

• Colleen

April 15, 2021 at 3:30 pm

@mamabear007 I’m glad you brought up your experience with Laxapro because I think it was the same case for me. When @jenc mentioned Lexapro I had a hard time remembering whether I took it or Cullen did. Pretty sure he did but I think I was placed on it years ago to help with something not related to depression or anxiety. I was think I took it in my 20’s when I was having irregular periods and it was supposed to help with that. I don’t believe I had problematic side-effects from the Lexapro though.

• jen-cueva

April 16, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele, for sharing your experience with Lexapro. I am doing OK so far, but of course, not enough time to tell. I hope so within the next few weeks.