Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies Do You Have Experience With Angioplasty?

Tagged: 

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 7:45 am

Hi @carol-alexander, can I ask if you have CTEPH due to blood clots? I know that often a balloon angioplasty, which is done similar to a right heart catheter, is done to check for blood clots and open the arteries that become narrowed with PH.

I have not had this procedure, but I know several CTEPH patients who developed PH due to blood clots, and they did fine with this procedure.

Is your PH team discussing this? How are you feeling about this and overall?

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 8:53 am

Hi @carol-alexander, I just saw this article as I was scrolling the PH News website. Maybe this will be helpful for you. Thinking of you and sending hugs from Texas. Let me know if it helps.

• maureen-mccarthy-magill

April 28, 2020 at 2:13 pm

I had 5 Balloon Pulmonary Angioplasty procedure sessions at UCSD in 2017 for distal clots. I can’t tell you how many clots were opened up, but it was a lot- I think easily 20-30. Those procedures helped me a great deal. I went from needing supplemental oxygen 24/7 to using oxygen at night, at high altitudes, and during strenuous exercise. The BPA procedures were a life saver for me. BPA is a very less invasive procedure than PTE – You are awake for the procedure but are given a sedative – just enough so that you can respond the the doctors, take deep breathes, hold your breath, etc. It was not difficult at all. I spent one night in the hospital after the procedure for observation. If you have in operable CTEPH, ask to be evaluated for BPA. I experienced a remarkable difference after the first 2 sessions, and after the last one. I still take adempas as my pressures are not quite were they should be to go off it. I have been able to return to work full time and enjoy life again. I just have less stamina than I did before – perhaps because I’ve gained 30 pounds too. Hope this helps. MMM

• brittany-foster

April 28, 2020 at 2:46 pm

@maureen-mccarthy-magill wow it is so great to hear about your positive experience with this. I am sure you have given so many people hope just by reading this part of your story. It is great that they have these interventions as treatment options for those that may qualify. It certainly beats having a major operation done that is invasive. It’s great to see procedures like this and hear good stories about the outcome. I know that many operations that were once open heart surgeries are now being performed via a heart cath and patients end up seeing great improvements.

• jen-cueva

April 28, 2020 at 3:52 pm

@maureen-mccarthy-magill, welcome. Thanks for sharing your positive experience with balloon angioplasty. It sounds like although you still take Adempas, you have improved quite a bit after these procedures. That is awesome to hear. Yes, this is not a major surgery and can benefit those, especially with CTEPH.

I am sure that @carol-alexander and others will appreciate you sharing this positive experience.

• Colleen

April 28, 2020 at 7:24 pm

Thank you so much @maureen-mccarthy-magill for jumping in right away as a new member and sharing your experience with angioplasty.

• libby

May 5, 2021 at 6:52 pm

Finally someone else who has had this procedure done!! I’ve had at least four, if not more. I’m having another one to treat my PH this fall.

I’ve never had blood clots. I’m asleep for it. I was having them consistently as a kid every 4 years but during my last one, they tore an artery and I had internal bleeding for 8 hours. The doctors kind of freaked out after that and haven’t done one since. Now I’m having one this fall because I’ve not been feeling good.

• jen-cueva

May 6, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Hi @libby, I am sorry to hear that you have not been feeling good. I hope that you see improvements soon. Why are they waiting for the fall? Is there a reason? I am asking because you mention that you aren’t feeling well.

It is nice to see you again.

• Colleen

May 6, 2021 at 4:22 pm

@libby it’s so nice to hear from you but I’m sorry you have not been feeling well. As Jen mentioned, Fall seems like a long way off for a patient who is having issues. How I you emotionally dealing with having another angioplasty scheduled? Are you nervous or hopeful that it will help you?