• Do You Have Experience With Tyvaso?

Posted by jen-cueva on October 9, 2020 at 2:51 pm

We have several members who are wanting to know how others dealt with titrating Tyvaso. Tyvaso is an inhaled treatment that comes with its own handheld system. To learn more about it, please click the link below.

Tyvaso inhalation

@jo-ann-white, and @carol-alexander, this post is for y’all.

Are you on Tyvaso? If so, can you please share your experiences with our members? Thanks.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 6 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 12, 2020 at 9:21 am

@carol-alexander, can you ask your questions about Tyvaso here? LMK if you are having issues posting to this. If you reply to this, it should share here, not as an “update.”

I hope that today you re doing better with the Tyvaso. If not, have you notified your PH team?

• jen-cueva

May 4, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Once again, I wanted to ask about those who have had experience with Tyvaso. Anyone here care to share their experience?

@carol-alexander and @jo-ann-white, anything new with y’all and Tyvaso? I have not seen any updates from other of you in some time.

@cdvol3gmail-com also wanted to ask about anyone taking Tyvaso. From the few PHriends that have used Tyvaso, their main concerns were timing throughout the day and sore throat and cough. I am hoping some members here can share a bit more.

• Jo Ann white

May 4, 2021 at 9:19 pm

I love my tyvaso except that it is very time consuming and can really break my train of thought when working to have to stop, eat something and dose, then sit quietly for a few minutes. However, everyone thinks it has helped me. I have more energy and had the best 6 minute walk time in almost two years. I also take anagrelide for a platelet disorder and tadalafil for idiopathic pah, which I don’t take at the same time as the tyvaso. The tyvaso timing can be difficult. I am very comfortable going 4 1/2 to 5 hours between doses but that makes for a long day with 4 doses. I am on 9 puffs four times a day and was told if I varied very much from dose schedule I might have muscle aches and rapid heart beats I had when first titering up…and that a dose lasts only four hours and it would do me no good while I was asleep! I have not had a problem with sore throat or cough but was told inhale should not be deep, just brief and shallow, not to swallow saliva while dosing, and to eat something first (peanut butter crackers and rice pudding both work well for me when it isn’t mealtime). I start in the morning with 1/2 a toasted buttered plain bagel and a swallow of water. I also make sure to do 1/2 hour aerobic exercise daily on the exercise bike. I am on 5-6 liters of oxygen 24/7 abd was diagnosed two years ago after about three years of shortness of breath.

• Jo Ann white

May 4, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Because my blood pressure has always been low normal drs worry about left pressure going too low when reducing right pressure. So they had me titration up starting at one puff four times daily and increasing one puff each week. Nurse came and did vitals first time I increased the dose until I got up to nine. I was told to sit quietly for 1/2 hour after dosing. Now I sit for only a few minutes after dosing. Just wait a bit for anything strenuous. Have been on it for 10 months now. Nurse told me she had one patient who has been on it for 7 1/2 years so far.

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2021 at 10:22 am

Hi @jo-ann-white, please accept my apologies as I missed this information somehow. I am sorry that this reply is not quick as it should have been.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Tyvaso. So, now it must be over a year for you, huh? Are you still seeing improvements with it? Wow, 7 years, so cool. I hope that you continue to do well with it. How is your BP?

@wheeldog recently stated his Tyvaso and is happy to answer questions about Tyvaso, too. Roger, @jo-ann-white, may be an excellent person to communicate with, too, about Tyvaso.

• Colleen

October 13, 2022 at 4:46 pm

@carol-alexander is on the Tyvaso powder now and Tyvaso is wondering if anyone else is on it and what they think of it? Remember to tag Carol if you respond. Thank you!

• Roger Bliss

October 19, 2022 at 12:28 am

Hmmmmm first time I noticed this thread. I was on Tyvaso for close to a year. Didn’t help….actually gave me a cough. The doctor at UCSD took me off it last March because she questioned if I have PAH. Seems as PAH is mostly women in their 30’s to 60’s. I didn’t find any changes after I got off it.

I found it a pain to deal with………..BUT……..if it actually did help, I would have stayed with it.

• jen-cueva

October 19, 2022 at 3:25 pm

Hi @wheeldog, I’m happy to see you pop in and grateful that you’re still feeling OK without the Tyvaso. @carol-alexander was asking specifically about the new Tyvaso powder that came out. Many have done well on it. She is experiencing more SOB. She was on the Tyvaso like you were prior.

Yes, a cough is one of the top side effects I have heard from those using Tyvaso.

How are you and Mary Ellen doing?

• Jo Ann white

October 20, 2022 at 3:47 pm

I have now been on Tyvaso for more than two years, a dam up to 12 puffs four times daily. I have not had luck with other inhalant meds so prefer to remain on the nebulizer even if it is time consuming. I have never had a cough or sore throat but have always been told to take only shallow  breath on the inhale and not to swallow after an inhale.  I don’t get rapid heartbeats ir an occasional skipped beat unless I take other meds or eat a large meal or get very stressed out just before I dose. Then I get rapid heartbeats and high pulse rate. I think doing the exercise bike regularly  is also important and staying calm and not rushing around. I do have sone diarrhea (Imodium helps) and sone joint pain if I neglect the exercise bike but am doing very well and stabilized for a long time now. Pah clinic says I am stable and  now has me coming in every six months now instead of every three. Apart from Tyvaso and anagrelide for a preexisting platelet disorder I am in no pah meds. Opsummit and three steroid inhalers did not work. Am on 4-5l oxygen 24/7 with 6l at night. Sterile saline mist for congestion and drops for dry eyes plus LASIX and potassium every other day and daily allopurinol for gout. Have probably had pah for five years and was diagnosed and out on oxygen three years ago.

• Jane Armstrong

October 20, 2022 at 8:04 pm

I have been on Tyvaso for about 1 1/2 years and now hope to go on the powdered form. I am having trouble getting my insurance to tell me the cost. I am on Medicare and have Humana for Part D. I suspect there are huge co-pays. I am taking 12 breaths now and have to take it easy for at least 1/2 hour after doses.

• Colleen

October 20, 2022 at 9:33 pm

@janenlnhtds-net it’s ridiculous that insurance is giving you the run around like that. As if having PH isn’t stressful enough. I’m so sorry! Maybe talk to your doctor’s office and ask if there is anything they can do to help move insurance along. They might also have advice on financial assistance to help cover the medication costs.

• jen-cueva

October 21, 2022 at 2:04 pm

Hi @janenlnhtds-net, so frustrating and exhausting to deal with. I’m sorry about the insurance dilemma. That can be frustrating and exhausting.

@colleensteele offers some excellent suggestions. I am also attaching a link to a copay assistance program for Tyvaso and Tyvaso DPI. Were you on one or currently with Tyvaso?
      Tyvaso/Tyvaso DPI Cost Assistance

When you contact your PH doctor, ask the nurse about this program and any others you may qualify for. Please do keep us posted.

• Jo Ann white

October 22, 2022 at 3:20 pm

I also think it is likely to ne very pricey and since I have had no luck with several other inhaled meds I am afraid it switch, even if it would. Be more convenient

jo ann

• jen-cueva

October 24, 2022 at 2:07 pm

Hi @jo-ann-white, it will be pricey since it’s a new treatment. But there are financial assistance programs out there that you may qualify for. I’m sorry that other inhaled meds have not worked well for you. Because this is a powder form, it may be something you do better with. It’s worth asking your PH team. The convenience factor alone may be worth a try.

Let us know if you do decide to talk with your PH team.