Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions Do You Have Pets? Do you feel like they "know" when you’re sick?

• Do You Have Pets? Do you feel like they "know" when you’re sick?

Posted by brittany-foster on March 21, 2019 at 2:10 pm

I had a dog and cat growing up and they both died of old age. Now, my parents and sister have a dog and cat in their house so my nephew can grow up with animals.

I have really started to bond with the dog and cat even though initially I was hesitant. Something really cool about the cat we have (it’s a black cat not sure the specific kind) is that he seems to “sense” when I’m sick. He always lays and purrs on the exact area that seems to be hurting me and rests on my shoulder almost like he’s giving me a hug when I’m feeling down.

They aren’t trained for medical or emotional support animals but I think they can still sense when something is “off”.

What pets do you have? Do they have specific behaviors when you’re not feeling well or do you think they express some type of compassion?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • kathleen-sheffer

March 21, 2019 at 6:44 pm

To this day, my dog, Basil, whips her head around to stare at me any time I sniffle or cough. She doesn’t do it for anyone else. I got her in late 2015 when my PH was at its worst stage, and she must have picked up on coughing as a bad thing. Now it’s how I get her to look at the camera.
    Basil staring attentively.
    Animals are so intuitive and I feel lucky to have bonded with her by spending many many many hours in bed or on couches together.
    Basil and Kathleen in the hospital.
    You should write a column about this!

• brittany-foster

March 22, 2019 at 9:37 am

OMG Kathleen SO CUTE !!!!!! I love your doggy and from the pictures it looks like she just loves you too! Love seeing pet pics !

• jen-cueva

March 26, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Awww so cute, Kathleen!

Brittany, our Mini Schnauzer, Sasha , always seems to know when I’m not feeling good. She likes to nap, so she’s been a great companion while my hubby is at work. ( then she’s off to him , most days, lol )

But, I definitely think they know and it’s so cute and comforting having them !

• brittany-foster

March 26, 2019 at 5:03 pm

I agree Jen! It totally is so comforting to have a pet nearby to snuggle with! They make better snuggle companions than my snoring boyfriend hahahaha!!! Your little doggy must be so cute ! Do you have any pictures?

• jen-cueva

March 27, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Brittany , here’s a pic of Sasha ! I think my Daughter was trying a photo shoot with her out back one day lol 😂

Well, dang…I can’t get it to post 🙈

Maybe I need instructions, lol 😂

• jen-cueva

May 6, 2020 at 1:22 pm

I was planning to ask if anyone has any service animals or fur babies at home. But, I came across this topic from the past. So, who has pets, and do they know when you are sick?

I have a black mini schnauzer, Sasha. I just took her for a drive, and she loves it. I rolled down the window and opened the sunroof. She is too funny.

She also tends to want to be clingy when I am having heart issues, mostly. My hubby took notice of this a few years ago. But, she can be my lap dog and cuddle when I want to. Isn’t it funny how they tend to sense our moods? Are any registered service animals? Let’s talk about our pets.

• Colleen

May 6, 2020 at 7:02 pm

@jenc your little Sasha sounds adorable! Pets make such a difference in our world, don’t they? I do believe pets can sense when we are sick or when our emotions change. We already had a dog but Cullen asked for one that would be “his” after transplant. He picked her from the humane society, named her Mellow and the two have been inseparable every since. She is a Jack Russell but very calm for that type of breed…hence the name Mellow.

She always seems to be very in tune to how Cullen is feeling and is very protective of him. I can’t take his blood pressure when Mellow is around or she tries to take it off of him. I think she thinks it hurts him.

• jen-cueva

May 7, 2020 at 1:09 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele. Sasha is a bit spoiled buy keeps us moving, Hehe.

I remember hearing about Mellow but not realize that he is a Jack Russel. I have always heard that they are usually hyperactive. I am happy to know that Cullen has Mellow to cuddle with. That is funny, and they can be protective, too.

I think that they can sense our emotions. Sasha runs the other way when she knows that she is in trouble, like having a small child-Hehe.

Have you had the other dog for a long time? I am glad that they get along well. Sasha is a bit territorial, and she likes her own space. When my daughter brings over Rosie, our grandpup, Sasha, is not happy. Plus, Rosie is a mix of a Golden and something, she towers over Sasha.

• Colleen

May 7, 2020 at 4:58 pm

@jenc we had a Rosie too! She was a black lab. We still had her after Cullen’s transplant but his request was to adopt a dog that would be “his” baby. Sadly, Rosie passed away a few years ago. The two dogs got along well but Rosie did not care for the cat when we brought him home. The cat is Aidan’s fur baby that a friend gave him for his birthday a dew years ago.

Mellow is playful but not hyper. We adopted her from a humane society in Seattle and it’s about a 45 minute drive from our home. I remember thinking that the puppy was going to be all over the car while I was driving in rush hour traffic. Instead she sat calmly and contentedly in Cullen’s lap the entire time. It was like the two of them were meant to be and all was right with the world.

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2020 at 1:30 pm

Oh no, sorry @colleensteele, about the loss of Rosie. It sounds like each one of the boys has their fur baby. Does Mellow play with the cat, too? He sounds really mellow for a Jack Russell. Too funny, I imagine him bouncing all over as you drive. I would have thought the same, so glad that he is mellow. So, Mellow is the perfect name.

So, do you and your hubby just share with the boys? Do they take care of feeding each, or do y’all do that?