• Do You Have PH and Iron Deficiency?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 10, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I know that we have discussed iron infusions and several of you required these, like me. Iron deficiency anemia is common among many with PH.

This article discusses iron replacement therapy does not impact the severity of PH.

Give it a read and let me know what you think. Do you require iron infusion therapy? If so, do you think it helps your PH symptoms or severity?

jen-cueva replied 8 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Md. Abul Kalam Azad

May 11, 2021 at 9:43 am

What are the food suppliments for iron deficiency? What are the symptoms of iron deficiency? What is the iron therapy? The answer of the questions are required to improve the health condition. If someone know plz. answer.

• Susi Steppins

May 11, 2021 at 11:37 am

Good morning @azad.
    Here is a link to an article about iron rich foods.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthy-iron-rich-foods#1.-Shellfish

Make sure you always talk with your doctor before changing anything about your diet or trying to treat something yourself.

Symptoms of iron deficiency include

General fatigue
    Weakness
    Pale skin
    Shortness of breath
    Dizziness
    Strange cravings to eat items that are not food, such as dirt, ice, or clay
    A tingling or crawling feeling in the legs
    Tongue swelling or soreness
    Cold hands and feet
    Fast or irregular heartbeat
    Brittle nails
    Headaches

These are not all of the symptoms, just the most common and a lot of these symptoms could be from something else other than iron deficiency.

If your son is exhibiting these symptoms he really should be seeing a doctor soon.

I hope you find the answers and the help that you need.

Take care

• jen-cueva

May 11, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Wow, @s-steppins, what great resources you offer to @azad. My hematologist/oncologist tells me when I start craving ice; my numbers are too low. I was eating Sonic ice for years before I started receiving iron infusions.

Susi offers another important point, don’t change anything until you check with your son’s doctor. They can do blood work to check his iron levels if he exhibits any of the symptoms.

Some do OK with oral iron replacement pills. But some, like me, require iron infusions at least every 6 months. Some require it more frequently.

I hope that you will be prepared to ask the docs if needed between the information that Susi shared and my additions.

@s-steppins, do you require iron pills or infusions?

• Susi Steppins

May 12, 2021 at 9:46 am

Hi @jenc, not right now.
    I do have a problem with bleeding too much though and am always on the watch for it.
    The meds I take make my gums and nose bleed a lot.
    I hope that in the future this will be more controlled.
    I am still fairly new to this journey and my doctor and I are still trying to figure it all out.

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2021 at 10:18 am

Oh @s-steppins, I am sorry to hear about your bleeding. Are you on blood thinners, or is this related to your PH meds? Which PH treatments are you on again? My apologies as I have CRS and forget some details, LOL

We are here to support you along this newer journey. Let us know how we can best help you.

Your contributions hee have been valuable. Thank you.

• jen-cueva

August 23, 2023 at 7:12 am

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, here’s one topic about iron deficiency and PH. I thought you may find it beneficial. Although, I know you also research lots on your own. I like that because it’s best to be well-informed about things going on with our bodies.