Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Do You Notice Increased Side Effects When Drinking Alcohol?

• Do You Notice Increased Side Effects When Drinking Alcohol?

Posted by Brittany Foster on October 23, 2018 at 10:53 am

This past weekend, I learned the hard way that I can’t drink the way that my friends do. I will usually have one or two drinks when I go out with friends and feel tired the next day. Over the past few months, drinking has made me feel physically worse than it ever has.

As many know, alcohol is a respiratory depressant. It makes the average person have a slower rate of breathing. For someone that already has difficulty breathing, it can become dangerous if ventilation gets disturbed. After my drink I had over the weekend, I began to get more dizzy, felt chest tightness, and immediately had to go home and lay down. My body certainly has been paying the price for a fun night out.

Are you able to drink alcohol/do you drink alcohol? Have you noticed any changes in your breathing or increase in side effects while drinking or difficulty recovering afterwards?

Safe to say, I will be watching my intake a lot more closely and will always make sure to pay attention to what my body is telling me.

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Shane

October 25, 2018 at 9:44 pm

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have an alcoholic beverage ever if you have lung or heart complications like I do. I can’t even have caffeinated beverages and I also try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I was an alcoholic until I stopped drinking alcohol late in 2014, a couple years b4 I became ill. I also smoked cigarettes and marijuana up until I became ill. I gave up smoking cigarettes after I nearly died from pulmonary emboli that I had no idea I had until I started throwing clots. Not smoking marijuana has by far been the most difficult for me because I enjoyed it. But I haven’t smoked in about 6 months and don’t intend to start smoking again unless it was somehow deemed safe.

• Brittany Foster

October 26, 2018 at 10:03 am

Shane
      Thank you for sharing that here. I’m glad you found it in you to give up smoking ! My doctors advise me to stay away from caffeine and they always have said that. Drinking has always been an “in moderation ” type thing so if I do it. I do it socially or when getting dinner with friends. Drinking to get drunk just isn’t worth it for me anymore. Even though most of my friends are still in the party stage of life.

• jen-cueva

October 25, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Brittany, I used to be able to drink more too, but now I rarely will take a few sips, it doesn’t make me feel well at all…so I can relate …unfortunately some of my “ friends” don’t understand ….

Shane, sorry about the health issues. You are correct , in saying most should not drink or smoke, but I also think it depends do on the individual, their meds, illnesses, and what their doctors tell them. For instance, several years ago, my previous PH Doc was OK for me to have a Margarita or drink occasionally, now it’s pretty much sips, if that. As we th PH, the ways it affects us and the meds we are own, it’s not a , “one size fits all disease”. Congrats onthe no alcohol and smoking, I’m sure you probably notice a difference in how you feel.

• jen-cueva

October 25, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Brittany,
    Sorry Girl, but I’ve had that same scenario, felt like I was so hot too, and almost faint like, had to lie down and that’s when I changed my habits…it sucks when we want to go out with the crew…but often I would pay for several days fir just a few drinks,,, one long weekend, I recouped for a week plus, lol

• Brittany Foster

October 26, 2018 at 10:05 am

Jen,
      Yes that’s exactly what happened to me. It was like it hit me out of nowhere and my whole body was freezing cold!!!! I feel like I’m still recouping hahahaha!!! It has been almost a full week! I guess thats another part of this to accept. The party days are OVER!

• VK

October 27, 2018 at 2:55 pm

If physical health is bad I agree it’s best idea to avoid alcohol completely if possible. Hopefully the friends you’re with understand that you have a chronic and deadly illness and alcohol won’t make it any better.

On the other hand, I notice decreased psychiatric effects (i.e. it’s easy to forget about how ill I am) when drinking alcohol, though that is NOT a valid reason to drink!

• Brittany Foster

October 27, 2018 at 5:48 pm

VK,
      I know what you mean. The “fun time” out serves as a good distraction from the actual realities that we face. And even people without a physical condition can turn to alcohol or other substances as a means of helping them with emotional pain that is too hard to face. I have learned to only drink what I can handle (if I even choose to drink at all) which is a huge improvement to how I was a few years ago and just had the ” I don’t care” attitude. That attitude had to change really quick because it just wasn’t helpful in any way.

• VK

October 28, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Yeah it’s a matter of finding healthier distractions. Or at least less damaging ones :-\

• Brittany Foster

October 29, 2018 at 8:27 am

So true VK. What are some of your healthy distractions that you use? For me, I like reading (even though half the time I can’t remember what I read the day before) lol and I like watching movies or TV shows that I enjoy. I always repeat seasons of Grey’s Anatomy and I like the show “The Good Doctor” . Surprisingly, medical dramas are my favorite !

• VK

October 29, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Great question. Maybe even worthy of a new thread!

Because of my constant lack of time I have to integrate anything I enjoy into things I need to do. I’ve successfully put together video games with working out and also with vocal therapy so that I’m not wasting my time in front of the Tube.

I really enjoy cooking and have made it a point to take time out and cook myself a treat 2-3 times a week, not much else because finishing up a graduate thesis is brutal work. The excuse is that it’s healthy (for me) food.

• Brittany Foster

October 29, 2018 at 6:42 pm

I’ll definitely post this as a new topic tomorrow ! Could I include your username in the post since you offered these suggestions for healthy coping skills?

• VK

October 29, 2018 at 9:00 pm

@brittany-foster – Hi Britt — You definitely have my permission, I think it’d make a great topic. If you want, you can quote my above reply (#14557). I can facilitate the discussion, too. I look forward to seeing the new post!

• Joyce Sandberg

October 30, 2018 at 10:11 am

I enjoy a glass of wine each night with dinner. So far, after doing this since my CTEPH diagnosis of 2 years ago, I do not experience any side effects. I am on oxygen 24/7 and mainly use an electric chair in my house to keep my sats stable.

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 10:22 am

Joyce,
      I’m glad you are still able to enjoy this. I think sitting down and have a drink is easier for me ! It’s when I’m up and pushing my body on top of drinking that really does me in! I just end up pushing myself to the limit too quickly! Sitting down or at least somewhere where I can sit down and enjoy a drink every now and then would probably be my better option!

• Michelle Figueras

November 5, 2018 at 11:28 pm

I am on triple therapy and have no problem with drinking. I don’t know if it’s a blessing or a curse but I can drink a lot of alcohol despite the multiple meds. I definitely pay for it with the water retention the next day, but for the most part I enjoy my scotch and wine on a regular basis.

• Brittany Foster

November 6, 2018 at 10:53 am

Hi Michelle
      I’m glad the therapies are helping you! I totally understand what you mean by the water retention being increased the next day. I swell a lot easier than I used to and find the swelling to be more in my hands and feet. Do you have particular areas where you notice the swelling more? Usually I take an extra lasix for a few days to help my body get rid of it.