Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies Do You or Have You Ever Taken Isradipine?

• Do You or Have You Ever Taken Isradipine?

Posted by Colleen on May 27, 2020 at 1:53 pm

My son developed kidney disease post-transplant which makes his blood pressure difficult to control. He takes two BP medications daily and a prescription for isradipine in case it climbs higher than 150/100. I’ve never had to give it to him at home because usually one number goes over while the other stays in range, but on Monday night both systolic and diastolic went over 150/100.

He was given isradipine at the ER and it quickly lowered his BP…maybe a little too quickly because his body started trembling and he began vomiting. However, once he got past that he felt so much better. In fact, his BP even 2 days later is better than it’s been in a long time.

Isradipine is considered his emergency blood pressure medication. I was wondering if anyone takes it regularly. What is your experience with isradipine if any?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

May 28, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Hey @colleensteele, this must have been scary for y’all. I am grateful to learn that they did get his BP down and stable. Poor guy!

Isn’t this a calcium channel blocker(CCB)? I have not been on it, but my BP runs low, even before my PH meds.

I hope that he will not need it; it does sound like it dropped him too fast. How do you feel about giving it at home? I am keeping y’all in my thoughts and prayers- hugs.