Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Do You Prepare to Travel for the Holiday?

• Do You Prepare to Travel for the Holiday?

Posted by Brittany Foster on December 19, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Going ANYWHERE can be a process. Travelling for the holidays is even more of a challenge, especially with PH. From making sure you have the essentials and have something to bring to a house like gifts and food to making sure you have all you need to take care of yourself. It seems like there’s just so much to remember and keep track of!

Having some holidays at my house is easy, but there are lots of times when my oxygen cord gets stepped on, when I feel like the tank is in the way of people, and times when I feel like it’s a nuisance.

If I’m travelling, I make sure to bring 2 back up oxygen tanks with me and I like to travel with a larger size tank that I can wheel. This is because it lasts longer (usually around 4 to 5 hours each) and I can move it around on wheels and don’t have to keep it on my back in the backpack. I have been dressing up my tank for the holidays. This makes a statement and also makes it so people take notice of it and don’t accidentally trip on it when running around opening gifts.

What makes it easier for you to travel with oxygen or to navigate a holiday at your house with the oxygen? How do you take care of your oxygen needs while still enjoying yourself?

Colleen Steele replied 3 months, 4 weeks ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Kathleen Sheffer

December 20, 2018 at 1:27 am

Holidays are seriously stressful when you’re running low on spoons! It’s important to focus on what matters and what’s actually remembered: spending time with those you love. Do what you can and need to do to be able to enjoy your time with friends and family. You’ll probably fall short – we all do. It’s okay.

Oxygen cord getting stepped on and tugged: I relate so hard. When I had to wear oxygen all the time in a big house, I put some fabric tape around the cord a few feet from the cannula and then safety pinned the tape to my clothes. That way, my clothes got pulled on instead of my nose/face. I learned this trick from having a “safety loop” for my catheter – I never wanted to risk getting it tugged out, so I always taped some loops of tubing to my chest, which would be pulled on first. Have you tried this with your oxygen tubing? Can definitely help avoid tensions with family! I would always get sooo mad at my immediate family members if they ever stepped on it!

• Brittany Foster

December 20, 2018 at 12:28 pm

@kathleen-sheffer ! Yes! The dreaded face pull when someone steps on the oxygen. Sometimes this happens to me when I’m doing my workouts and it feels like my nose it gonna fall off hahaha! But then I have to stop and readjust. I feel like family members think that if they step on it once then I wont be getting any oxygen, but the tubes are pretty flexible and one step on them isn’t going to make a huge difference. Pulling the tanks is sometimes easier for me and they’re more fun to dress up when I’m with larger crowds ! I love your idea though! Do you have any pictures of how you did this that you could send to me through instagram message or facebook? I would love to see your creativity with it !

• Kathleen Sheffer

December 20, 2018 at 5:14 pm

Oh you’re so right people think they can’t step on it at all haha!

Gosh, I wish I had photos of my technique…I just looked through my phone for photos from 2.5 years ago lol. I will see if I can recreate it…might have some old tubing lying around somewhere.

• Colleen Steele

December 4, 2023 at 3:21 pm

In case anyone is traveling for the holiday I thought it would be worth revisiting this topic.

If you have travel plans share with us how you are preparing for the trip around your PH?

• jen-cueva

December 5, 2023 at 3:24 pm

Hi @Colleen, what a fantastic idea since many travel during the holidays. I know you will be traveling to NJ. How are you feeling about that? Do you know how long you will be there? I know you still have so much to balance on your plate. But I hope and pray you can enjoy the holidays with Cullen and your parents. Will Aidan be there with y’all too? Or is he staying in WA for the holidays?

We are not traveling this holiday season except to Manny’s sister’s house and it’s only about an hour or 90 minutes away. It will be nice to spend Christmas with her and their family, they have two beautiful girls.

• Colleen Steele

December 6, 2023 at 9:45 pm

@jen-cueva it sounds like you have a lovely Christmas planned! I leave on Dec. 12th and will return to WA sometime in Jan.. Aidan is staying in WA for the holidays due to work and his own plans. Really wish we could all be together but it isn’t working out.

• jen-cueva

December 8, 2023 at 5:51 am

And that’s OK, too, @Colleen! I’m sure it will be different for each of you this year. Indeed, Brian will watch over you three and smile from above. What was one funny thing that you will miss this Christmas season? I know he enjoyed cracking up. Also, what would he usually cook for Christmas? He was the chef most often, right? There have to be a gazillion family traditions you two shared through the years. I hope you can look back on those cherished moments and find a little comfort, my FWW and friend!

Thanks, we are excited to spend Christmas day with my SIL and her family!🤗

• Colleen Steele

December 11, 2023 at 4:43 pm

@jen-cueva we loved the movie, “When Harry Met Sally” and always watched it over the Christmas holiday. No matter how many times we watched it we still laughed at all the punch lines. We like it because Sally is so much like me and Harry is a lot like Brian. I’ve thought about watching it a few times but couldn’t put myself through it. Maybe once I get to NJ I can find it in my heart to watch it and laugh like we always did.

• jen-cueva

December 12, 2023 at 5:55 pm

Aww, I LOVE that so much, @Colleen. But I can also understand how it may be tough to watch it this year without Brian. I think I may watch it this season because I haven’t seen it in years! It is a great comedy and one to help us enjoy laughter. Unfortunately, it’s probably too soon, and you would shed more tears than laugh this year. My heart aches for you; I can’t begin to imagine how empty your heart feels. You two were so dang cute!🤗

• Colleen Steele

January 3, 2024 at 2:18 pm

@jen-cueva I never did watch it. Maybe next year.