This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kathleen Sheffer 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
     Brittany Foster 
    Keymaster

Going ANYWHERE can be a process. Travelling for the holidays is even more of a challenge, especially with PH. From making sure you have the essentials and have something to bring to a house like gifts and food to making sure you have all you need to take care of yourself. It seems like there’s just so much to remember and keep track of!

Having some holidays at my house is easy, but there are lots of times when my oxygen cord gets stepped on, when I feel like the tank is in the way of people, and times when I feel like it’s a nuisance.

If I’m travelling, I make sure to bring 2 back up oxygen tanks with me and I like to travel with a larger size tank that I can wheel. This is because it lasts longer (usually around 4 to 5 hours each) and I can move it around on wheels and don’t have to keep it on my back in the backpack. I have been dressing up my tank for the holidays. This makes a statement and also makes it so people take notice of it and don’t accidentally trip on it when running around opening gifts.

What makes it easier for you to travel with oxygen or to navigate a holiday at your house with the oxygen? How do you take care of your oxygen needs while still enjoying yourself?

Kathleen Sheffer 
    Participant

Holidays are seriously stressful when you’re running low on spoons! It’s important to focus on what matters and what’s actually remembered: spending time with those you love. Do what you can and need to do to be able to enjoy your time with friends and family. You’ll probably fall short – we all do. It’s okay.

Oxygen cord getting stepped on and tugged: I relate so hard. When I had to wear oxygen all the time in a big house, I put some fabric tape around the cord a few feet from the cannula and then safety pinned the tape to my clothes. That way, my clothes got pulled on instead of my nose/face. I learned this trick from having a “safety loop” for my catheter – I never wanted to risk getting it tugged out, so I always taped some loops of tubing to my chest, which would be pulled on first. Have you tried this with your oxygen tubing? Can definitely help avoid tensions with family! I would always get sooo mad at my immediate family members if they ever stepped on it!

Brittany Foster 
      Keymaster

@kathleen-sheffer ! Yes! The dreaded face pull when someone steps on the oxygen. Sometimes this happens to me when I’m doing my workouts and it feels like my nose it gonna fall off hahaha! But then I have to stop and readjust. I feel like family members think that if they step on it once then I wont be getting any oxygen, but the tubes are pretty flexible and one step on them isn’t going to make a huge difference. Pulling the tanks is sometimes easier for me and they’re more fun to dress up when I’m with larger crowds ! I love your idea though! Do you have any pictures of how you did this that you could send to me through instagram message or facebook? I would love to see your creativity with it !

Kathleen Sheffer 
        Participant

Oh you’re so right people think they can’t step on it at all haha!

Gosh, I wish I had photos of my technique…I just looked through my phone for photos from 2.5 years ago lol. I will see if I can recreate it…might have some old tubing lying around somewhere.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account