Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Do You Sing And/Or Play A Wind Instrument?

• Do You Sing And/Or Play A Wind Instrument?

Posted by Colleen on September 16, 2019 at 11:02 am

Music can be both therapeutic and healing, and not through listening but also by playing.

My son had an opportunity to play a wind instrument in grade school but it proved to be too challenging with his PH, so he took up the guitar instead. He has a nice signing voice and on good days who could manage with is class but there were many others when I know he was just lip singing.

However, I have known or heard of people with PH who do play wind instruments and one who sings professionally. Do you play a wind instrument or sing? If so, how do you manage this talent with your PH?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • VK

October 1, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Played trumpet from ages 13-17, in my 30s now and have been singing the past 5 years.

It’s a really fun way to train the lungs – the biggest problem is avoiding comparing myself to others, because all other things equal, a normal person can do much better than me.

• Brittany Foster

October 3, 2019 at 12:10 pm

VK,
      The fact that you are even able to DO THIS is truly amazing and I think worth celebrating ! Even if there are others who are “better” or “more talented” , your talent has a LOT of heart and a lot of determination and that’s what makes it even more real and raw. You can always tell the singers and musicians who have been through a lot in their life. You can hear it in their voices and in the way they share their music with others. It leave a mark on the life of the listeners. Do you have your own recordings of your music and singing? That would be cool to hear it !

• Colleen

October 2, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Wow, the trumpet! That’s what my son wanted to play but found it way to difficult with his PH. Do you think having played the trumpet and singing has trained your lungs to work around the PH in a way?

It’s so hard not to compare yourself with others. I struggle with that in many ways so I understand where you are coming from. I have to tell you, I if I could hear you sing I would be so much more impressed by you because I know how amazing your talent is considering your health challenges.

What type of music do you enjoy singing?