• Do You Sip Or Chug Water?

Posted by Colleen on November 22, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Do you sip or chug water? This may sound like an odd question but apparently it does make a difference on your body.

My son is in stage 3 kidney disease and must drink at least 2.5 if not 3 liters a day. It’s not an easy expectation to meet every day. He tries to meet the requirements but often comes up short.

Last week he stopped sipping and started chugging bottles of water. He discovered that he could manage it better if he just chugged it and guess what…his creatinine levels that week were the best they have been in a while. His doctor asked if he was doing something different. He said, “I’m chugging it!” There was no response so he has continued to do it that way.

Out of curiosity I googled, “Is it better to sip or chug water,” and to my surprise I found articles written about it. Here is the best one which sides with sipping. It explains why sipping is better for the body.

It makes sense what they are saying but I think I’m going to let my son keep chugging water for a while. It seems to be helping him.

http://www.scienceabc.com/humans/chugging-water-vs-sipping-water-one-better

jimi-mcintosh replied 4 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • aubrey

December 19, 2019 at 2:07 pm

When I drink water I usually use a straw so I’d say sip. Since being in subq Remodulin my teeth are sensitive. Before subq I’d do both. Chugging made me full faster and never quenched my thirst. When I sip water I feel more hydrated.

• brittany-foster

December 19, 2019 at 2:44 pm

Aubrey,
    good point about the sipping through a straw too. I feel the same way that when I try to drink something too fast it just doesn’t help with my thirst at all. It also is more sensitive on my throat as it goes down and ends up causing more reflux and pain. Teeth sensitivity is a big problem for me too!

• Colleen

December 19, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Aubrey, my son had teeth sensitivity from PH meds as well. I can’t remember which one was the culprit. He is a fan of straws as well. I know what you are saying about the down side to chugging but since he’s been doing that, his kidney function has improved. I don’t think he was drinking enough when just sipping. He still sips too but at the end of the day, if he didn’t get his 2.5 to 3 liters in…he chugs it. I guess it’s better than not getting it down at all.

• jimi-mcintosh

December 24, 2019 at 6:31 pm

I am stage 3-4 depending on the meds that day. I am a chugged, drinking 2-3 liters a day, is like eating oatmeal for breakfast for 10 years, it is good for you, but anything else taste better.
    I occasionally will drink
    Flavored water sugar free, that I get at Walmart or Kroger. I drink 12-24 oz of water when I wake, my CPAP, leaves you dried out, it refreshes and allows you to get started.