• roger-bliss

October 2, 2021 at 9:12 pm

I know what helps me. Back in the 80’s my mushing tour company would donate a trip to a group “Challenge Alaska”,  they took handicapped out doing things rather than sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. http://www.challengealaska.org/

Most of the people had serious physical and mental problems. I never had a problem getting mushers to donate their time. I used a couple remote lodges that were 12-15 miles off the road system that we used on our regular tours. The lodges would donate space and Challenge Alaska would bring enough food for everyone.

Even when you are in the best of health your gonna have problems and sometimes feel sorry for yourself. It tore us, the healthy mushers up. The people we took had a total blast……cheering and laughing the entire weekend. We were amazed at how happy these people would get despite all their problems. Their problems made ours look minuscule. Every musher who went on the trip, left a different person and had a tear in their eye when they said good by to the handicapped group. I think the trip gave more to the healthy people than the handicapped.

I don’t know what types of groups there are where folks on here live. I highly suggest for people to volunteer to help those less fortunate than they are. You won’t believe how you walk away with more then the people you help. To this day I think of these trips when I start feeling sorry for myself. It sure brings me out of it.

• jen-cueva

October 4, 2021 at 12:51 pm

That is such a cool group to work with, @wheeldog. I know that these kids had such lasting memories. Laughter truly is the best medicine.

I also agree that volunteering and helping others do help us feel better. I have volunteered with hospice when I could no longer work as a nurse. I have also volunteered at a food bank as well as some local PH events for the kids. It was all such fun.

I have not been volunteering in person since a bit pre-COVID. But there are so many places to volunteer, and they need all types of volunteer support.

@colleensteele has shared how much Make-A-Wish Foundation has impacted her and her family’s life. I believe that she write a column about Cullen;’s make a wish event. That one is huge, and I know many others for children with chronic illness or physical/mental limitations.

You’re a wealth of resources, my friend, Roger. Thanks again.