Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions Do You Take Carvedilol / Coreg For High Blood Pressure?

• Do You Take Carvedilol / Coreg For High Blood Pressure?

Posted by Colleen on August 20, 2020 at 5:44 pm

I recently shared that my son’s kidney doctor recently replaced his amlodopine with nifedipine. Let’s just say that didn’t go well (he’s in the hospital). It messed with his immunosuppressants and made his blood pressure get worse instead of better.

They have put him back on amlodopine but a different dose taken two times instead of once a day.

He has also been on a crazy high dose of metoprolol for several years. That has been replaced with caredilol also called Coreg. So far his BP has improved but still isn’t quite baseline and steady yet. He is feeling much better though.

Have you taken caredolol / coreg? Did it help you? Did you experience any side effects with it? Any input will be appreciated.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 22, 2020 at 9:52 am

Hi @colleensteele, I have not taken coreg, but my stepfather did for years for his CHF. I also took care of cardiac surgery patients when I worked home health, and this was a standard treatment for them. I do not recall any significant side effects.

I do know that bananas and high potassium foods were limited. But, as a kidney patient, Cullen may already have to watch his potassium intake. Does he or did the doctors mention to watch or limit these foods? I am hoping and praying that y’all go home today. Please try and get some much needed rest when you do. I am here when you need to talk.

• Colleen

August 22, 2020 at 10:24 am

@jenc I really appreciate the potassium mention. Cullen’s was low upon arrival and they have been giving him a supplement. Level is good now. I will ask about how much or little he should take at home. Discharge is looking promising for today!

• jen-cueva

August 24, 2020 at 12:41 pm

I am happy that y’all are now home. Take care of each other and rest up.

My potassium has been low at times, too. This is mostly due to diuretics. But, my nephrologist wants me to watch my potassium in foods. I am not on the usual kidney diet but potassium and phosphorous rich foods I am told to limit.

I think in the past, Cullen had no diet restrictions related to kidney disease. Is that still true?