Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions Do You Take Nifedipine For High Blood Pressure?

• Do You Take Nifedipine For High Blood Pressure?

Posted by Colleen on August 17, 2020 at 1:28 pm

My son struggles with high blood pressure triggered by kidney disease. He takes a very high dose of metoprolol and was taking amlodipine at night. These medications combines were helping except every morning his BP would climb until he took medication.

He recently transitioned to adult care and his new neprologist was not happy to hear that his BP would climb even once a day. He took my son off of amlodipine and replaced it with nifedipine (which the doctor described as the big brother to amlodipine). He was to take it two times a day but it worked a little too well. His BP dropped too low and too fast. Now he is taking it just once a day. That did the trick but now he’s back to once a day his BP climbs a bit. My son feels hesitant about trying twice a day again because of how sick it made him the first time he tried it. I’m thinking his body has adjusted to it and now he’s ready for twice a day.

We are of course going to discuss this with his doctor but I was wondering if anyone has experience with nifedipine? Do you take it once or twice a day? How does it effect you?

Colleen replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 17, 2020 at 1:57 pm

Oh @colleensteele, like you, I am hopeful that Cullen’s body has had a bit more time to adjust. I hope and pray that twice a day is not too much. Is he on the lowest dosage? If not, could he half the evening dosage? I can certainly understand Cullen’s concerns. He had a rough time when he took it like that before.

I hate that he is still not getting the right dosage to help keep his BP stable. Please do keep us posted and know that I keep y’all in my thoughts and prayers.

• Colleen

August 17, 2020 at 5:09 pm

Thanks @jenc. The new med is making a difference but I think it’s going to take another small adjustment to find a nice balance for Cullen.