Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Do you use a ventilator/BiPap?

• Do you use a ventilator/BiPap?

Posted by stephanie-mitchell on March 18, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Curious if anyone else uses a ventilator or BiPap in addition to oxygen? I use a Philips Trilogy ventilator at night and as needed during the day. I use the AVAPS mode with a minimum of 5 cm/h2o pressure support.

brittany-foster replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • brittany-foster

March 19, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Hi Stephanie @stephanie I use the NIV (noninvasive ventilator) and it works really well for me at night and even helped to improve my last step test with the amount of steps I could do and my exercise capacity. Although my oxygen still did de-sat in the 80s, at least they can’t blame it on not being in shape ! But what type of mask do you have for yourself? Did it take awhile for you to find the right one?

• stephanie-mitchell

March 19, 2020 at 4:26 pm

Brittany, I actually use an anesthesia mask. It’s clear plastic and has an inflatable face cushion. It’s super comfy and attaches with a four legged rubber head strap. My Trilogy vent uses and active exhalation valve which means the mask doesn’t have a built in exhaust port. The exhaust port is attached to the vent circuit and is driven by air pressure from the ventilator when it senses me exhaling.

I tried more traditional full face bipap masks with the built in exhalation valve, but my pressure is so high that it was putting out a really high pressure stream of air and was quite loud. My RT said the Trilogy, being an actual ventilator and not just a bipap, has the capability of using a real ventilator circuit with an exhaust valve. She hooked it up and I love how it works. Since the circuit is an actual ventilator circuit, I can use a mask that doesn’t have a built in exhaust port. My RT and I were discussing different masks and I mentioned that from the many surgeries I’ve had, that I really like the feel of an actual anesthesia mask. She said the since I’m using a ventilator that I didn’t need a mask with a built in exhaust port and that I should be able to use and anesthesia mask. She got me some to sample and I found the one that fit me best and I’ve been loving wearing it. I use the vent at night and probably on average of about six hours or so during the day. Sometimes more if I’m feeling week or exert myself.

• jen-cueva

March 19, 2020 at 4:52 pm

I am not on a ventilator or BiPAP. I am on oxygen at night, only. I just wanted to chime in and say to @stephanie; you are posting some great questions. It sounds like you are getting samples of all that you can to see what works best for you. Thanks for sharing, as I am sure this is helpful to many members here.

How long have you had PH?

• stephanie-mitchell

March 19, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Hi Jen. Thanks for you kind words. I’m throwing out questions to the forum that I’ve wondered about myself since being starting on oxygen. I’ve been diagnosed with PH for just a few months, so compared to most here, I’m a newbie with lots of questions. I’m so grateful for this forum. It allows me to ask questions and read about experiences from other PH and oxygen patients.

• jen-cueva

March 19, 2020 at 5:26 pm

No worries, @stephanie. This is great, you have some important questions and also information to share with others. We are glad that you are here with us. Ask away, we love new questions and this forum is all about supporting one another.

• brittany-foster

March 20, 2020 at 12:41 pm

@stephanie I think that the trilogy and the vent is a lot better for me. I also have that machine. I tried using the full face masks that were very similar to the anesthesia type mask and it really bothered me a lot. I think it started to trigger my ptsd and my anxiety because this is always the scariest part of surgery for me because it is the part where I have to just surrender and give up control that I wish I had. It is hard for me to use equipment at home that brings up these feelings. Do you ever get anxious with wearing the equipment at all?

• stephanie-mitchell

March 20, 2020 at 12:53 pm

Brittany, I’m so sorry that you have those feelings on losing control. I’ve had many surgeries too and as you know, you must have total faith and confidence in your surgeon and the surgical team. I can empathize with you, but in my case, I actually feel a sense of relief when they place the mask on my face to pre-breathe oxygen. I know that I have a problem that needs to be dealt with surgically and I have confidence and faith in my surgeon that he’ll be able to repair what’s wrong with me this time.

As far as wearing the anesthesia mask at home with my Trilogy vent, I don’t have any apprehension wearing it as I know that I’m having trouble ventilating and I need to use the Trilogy and that the Trilogy will help me breathe adequately and allow my respiratory muscles to rest and regain some strength. In fact, I’m wearing the mask and on the vent as I write this!

I’d like to hear more about what makes you feel like you are losing control as they prep you for surgery.

• brittany-foster

March 20, 2020 at 12:55 pm

@stephanie I am so so glad that you found these forums ! All of your contributions and questions have been so great ! Keep posting because your posts really could help a lot of others who are probably wondering about many of the same things that you are. You never know who is just shy or afraid to ask something. These forums help to give me and others a voice and that’s why I really love coming on here and chatting with everyone.