Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies Do you use Breathing assistance devices?

• Do you use Breathing assistance devices?

Posted by Brittany Foster on July 3, 2019 at 11:17 am

Lately I haven’t been able to use my bipap that really helped me with my inspiration and expiration at night and during the day. I haven’t been able to use this because of all the reflux I’ve been having. My respiratory doctor has mentioned other types of inspiratory devices like a vest used for breathing therapy, airway clearance devices (both vest and one that you breathe in and out with your mouth similar to an incentive spirometer. what breathing devices do you use to try to help with your inspiration and expiration?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

July 7, 2019 at 2:51 pm

Hey, Brittany, I’ve only used an incentive spirometer. Is the vest you’re referring to like a compression vest? I’ve seen those but not used one.

• Brittany Foster

July 8, 2019 at 8:56 am

Hi Jen,
      Yes I think it is a vest that mimics the act of breathing almost like a “steal lung” as my cardiologist put it. I already have the afflovest for airway clearance but I haven’t used one yet that works the inspirstory muscles. I am not sure how it will feel considering i have been post op for not even 8 weeks yet and my back and chest still are pretty sensitive. I have my first treatment with the respiratory therapist on Friday so I’m anxious to see how it all goes and what its about. I’ll keep you updated!

• jen-cueva

July 8, 2019 at 10:01 am

Ohh, Brittany, I can imagine you’re still sore after all you’ve been through!

I can’t want to hear about your respiratory therapy and this vest! I enjoy learning new things, hope it helps you. Good luck on Friday! Thinking of you.

• Colleen

July 8, 2019 at 2:27 pm

Like Jen I will be anxious to hear more about your experience with the vest too. I don’t think it is the same as what my son’s doctor has discussed with him, but maybe? Since transplant he has had issues with inflammation and scarring. He has been doing saline breathing treatments for the past year and we are hoping it has helped, but if not a vest has been discussed that vibrates and helps loosen up the lungs. I think that is what it does. My son is NOT keen on the idea of using it so we haven’t investigated it further I guess because neither of us wants to think about him having to use it.

Let us know how the vest works for you and what the experience is like.

• Brittany Foster

July 8, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Colleen,
        One of the vests that I have already is called the Afflovest. It used to be something that you had to plug in and basically just sit there in order to get therapy. Now people are able to get their therapy when they are on the go, it could even be worn while walking, working out, hanging around the house and playing video games (idk all the things your son is into) But what I’m saying is that it definitely is lifestyle friendly ! I really like mine, like I said I just can’t wear it much right now because of the incisions and it gets sore around my tube.