• Emotional Support Animals

Posted by Kathleen Sheffer on May 22, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Do you have an emotional support animal or pet that helps you cope with your disease?

Taking care of my dog gives me purpose and structure to my day. I cuddle with her when I’m not feeling well physically or emotionally. Yesterday I had a stomach ache and she served as a heating pad. Laying in bed with her feels less like I’m wasting my day because I know I’m making her feel good.

Please share stories about the animals in your life that bring you joy!

Beverly Repouille replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

May 22, 2018 at 12:56 pm

This makes me miss my dog so much ! We had him for 18 years. Whenever I was sick or not feeling well it was as if he knew and would sit next to me closer than usual. He wasn’t trained as a medical or emotional support animal but I feel that all pets provide emotional support ! I hope to get another dog in the future and would definitely want to look into getting it as a medical support dog. I wonder what the process is for this ! Anyone have any insight ?

• Beverly Repouille

May 22, 2018 at 4:45 pm

I have cats and they most certainly know when I am not feeling well. They will all come and cuddle up with me or next to me.

I looked online regarding your question, Brittany. There are lots out there. Here is a PDF from the government that gives lots of information an explains the difference between different types of service or emotional support animals. It’s all very interesting, but especially from #13 on down. HUGS!

https://www.nh.gov/disability/information-referal/documents/servicedogfaqs.pdf

• Brittany Foster

May 22, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Wow Beverly !
    Thank you for finding this information for me. That is so helpful. I really appreciate you doing the research. I love cats too! I wish I didn’t well up with tears from allergies when I cuddles too much with them. I had a cat growing up too and would love to pet him and have him lay with me (even though my eyes blew up the next morning ! Wish I could get rid of the allergy because cats are very comforting to me too. My aunt has a cat without hair (super creepy!!!!)

• Beverly Repouille

May 22, 2018 at 5:04 pm

🙂 You are most welcome, my friend!