Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Pediatric PH Encouraging Children To Participate In PH Awareness Month

• Encouraging Children To Participate In PH Awareness Month

Posted by Colleen on October 31, 2019 at 12:31 pm

November is PH Awareness month.

Pediatric PH patients can show awareness by creating PH posters for display at their school and/or by handing out PH swag. They could also simply wear awareness ribbons and bracelets and have PH awareness cards available for people who ask about PH.

Has your child done something special for PH awareness in the past or have something planned for this year? Share their awareness ideas with us.

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • brittany-foster

October 31, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Something that I did when I got older for the kiddos was talk to them about heart disease and PH during this month. I created a slide show that was appropriate for the age of the students I was presenting to. At the end of it we made posters that said “Room 24 (insert room number of class here) Is PH Aware” and another that said “Room 24 is CHD Aware”. I would wear my oxygen and the students were really interested in how it went on and off and even thought that it went all the way up to my brain at first lol so they were surprised with how easily I took it off. But the teachers told me how they couldn’t stop talking about it and also the signed posters I gave to the Pulmonary unit and cardiac units at the hospital I go to! They all wrote words of encouragement on it and signed their names too. It was great! Good lesson on showing acceptance and also showing how LUCKY those students are to actually be in school!

• Colleen

October 31, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Brittany,
      WOW! You are so awesome! I love that you did this. It sounds like a lot of thought and time was put into this and well worth it. This experience must be a very special memory for you. It’s a great idea that I hope someone reading this will latch on to.

• brittany-foster

November 1, 2019 at 7:35 am

It really was so educational and really good for me to see how accepting and curious the younger generation can be. It would be a good lesson especially in an inclusion style classroom about acceptance. Kids are often told “don’t stare” but in a way, I want them to ask questions and want them to be curious about what is going on and genuinely care. Telling them “don’t stare” takes that away from them and makes them think they are doing something wrong. I personally would rather someone ask, especially a younger child.