Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Ever use a home concentrator in your car?

• Ever use a home concentrator in your car?

Posted by stephanie-mitchell on December 29, 2021 at 9:50 pm

My oxygen need is currently 6 lpm. At that flow rate, tanks don’t last too long when I’m out of the house. My husband rigged up a system in the back of our Toyota Land Cruiser that securely holds a M10 home concentrator that we recently purchased (I currently use another M10 at home) in the cargo area of the SUV. The Land Cruiser comes with a 110 outlet already, so getting power for the concentrator is not a problem.

He already built a storage rack for my oxygen tanks so that I always have extra when we travel. Since I’m on a ventilator most of the time and needing oxygen continuously, getting out of the house now requires use of a wheelchair so that I can carry the ventilator, oxygen, suction machine and my trusty Ambu bag (never have it out of arms reach).

Even though I don’t need a wheelchair to walk, it’s virtually impossible to carry all my equipment with me without using the wheelchair. Plus my hubby gets to roll me around like I’m a queen!

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • jen-cueva

December 30, 2021 at 12:18 pm

Hi @stephanie, wow, your hubby has been designing this all, so it works. I’m impressed. I didn’t realize that my Jeep Grand Cherokee also has a 110 outlet. After reading your post to my husband, Manny, he educated me on that hehe.

I have not used a home concentrator in my Jeep, only my portable. But I look forward to hearing more and seeing if anyone else has done this.

Have you been using it already, or did he rig this all up?

Because I use a wheelchair for long distances, my hubby says, “your chariot awaits my Queen.” So, your comment about your husband tolling you around like a Queen made me smile big.

Happy New Year to you and your husband, Stephanie. May 2022 may be a healthier year for you, a bit more stability, my PHriend.

• stephanie-mitchell

December 30, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Hi Jen. I’ve been using it for a few months now and seem to have all the bugs worked out of the system. Having the concentrator in the car allows me to conserve my oxygen tanks for when I arrive at my destination.

My wheelchair has racks for two tanks so that allows me a pretty good time away from the car before I have to exchange the oxygen tanks for full ones. The battery on my ventilator last about 6 hours and I always have a backup in the car. The vent also plugs into the car’s electrical system, so as long as I’m in the car, I can stay out as long as needed.

When my MG flares up, which is fairly often, I’m basically wheelchair dependent as most of my core body shuts down and my legs and arms, while still functional, aren’t really strong enough for me to get around without assistance. When a flare up starts, I’ll have to place a nasogastric feeding tube through my nose into my stomach and hook up to a tube feeding pump. My diaphragm and chest muscles get so weak that I’m 100% ventilator dependent and must keep the cuff of my tracheostomy inflated and therefore, cannot speak. I also lose control of my bladder and bowels and have to be catheterized with a foley catheter into my bladder and must use an inflatable rectal plug to contain my bowels.

Sorry for getting carried away with the above, but the bottom line is the car oxygen concentrator system works great and I encourage anyone who’s on high flow rates of oxygen to look into it and see if it works for their needs.

• Colleen

January 3, 2022 at 10:47 pm

@stephanie it sounds like your husband is an amazing caregiver and advocate! We never tried using the home concentrator in the car for my son. It sounds like it’s working great for you. I’m curious if there are issues with it making the car too hot? At home we kept it in the hall because it would heat up my son’s bedroom too much.

Thank you for being so open about what you are dealing with. Sharing helps others going through similar situations feel less alone.

• stephanie-mitchell

January 4, 2022 at 8:33 am

Hi Colleen. We keep the concentrator free of things so it gets good airflow and if it does warm up the interior, well, that’s what the a/c is for!

• jen-cueva

January 3, 2022 at 11:06 am

Hi @stephanie, it sounds like you and your hubby have figured out a great plan to get you out of the house with your ventilator and oxygen needs. I was dependant on my POC for the trip from Texas to California. We rented a moving truck, so we already had a converter to use my POC. But a home concentrator would have worked much better for me on continuous oxygen.

But the plugs in my Jeep Grand Cherokee would have worked, and those heated seats would have been much more comfortable.

THose MG flares sound horrible. How often do you have a flare? You are talking about Myasthenia Gravis, correct? You are indeed an inspiration. I know that we do what we have to do to get through these rare diseases and have no choice. But when these flares up pop up for you, it must be challenging. Do you tend to stay home, if possible, with the flares? How long do they tend to last for you?

Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing such personal details. Anyone reading will understand the just of your flares by reading your post. I’m sending you gentle hugs and wish you a feel-good week, Steph.

• stephanie-mitchell

January 4, 2022 at 8:43 am

Hi Jen. You are correct on the MG. The flare ups are variable in their timing but typically happen every couple of months and last generally around a week or so.

Having the flare ups on a regular basis for the rest of my life is the reason that I went ahead and had  the tracheostomy. Otherwise when a flare occurs, I’d have to go to the hospital and be intubated with an endotracheal tube and stay in the hospital till the flare subsided. Now with the trach, when I feel a flare coming on, I able to stay at home and ride it out.

• jen-cueva

January 5, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Whew, @stephanie, what a ride this must be. I know that having the trach must be good for keeping you at home to “ride it out.” For me, we did a few things that hopefully helped keep me at home. Those are our saving graces when needed, right?

Although, my things are not anything like your flares sound. I’m sending you extra love and hugs from San Diego.

Weren’t you also in the USAF? Or, is my mind playing tricks on me?

• randolph-reynolds

January 4, 2022 at 3:23 pm

Stephanie

Your Land Cruiser with a 110 outlet peaks my interest.  I had looked into renting an RV and having an inverter put in it to be able to use my M10 concentrator for a long trip but never thought of having my SUV modified with one.  I desperately want to attend my 60th Class Reunion at the Air Force Academy but could not figure a way to make that happen.  This idea might work if such a modification can be achieved. I have over a year to look into it.

You have other health issues and you make them sound so matter of fact. To undertake any travel under your circumstances is courageous.

• jen-cueva

January 5, 2022 at 12:08 pm

Hi @ripple76, I am happy you found Stephani’s tip of interest and a possible solution. Attending your 60th USAF reunion would be awesome. I also think that @stephanie was also in the USAF. Hopefully, she will clarify for us.

Your words of encouragement to her are heartwarmim\g but true. Her struggles and the way she carries them inspire me, too. What a courageous group of people we are surrounded by daily. I am grateful and humbled.

How are things going at your house, BTW?

• stephanie-mitchell

January 6, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Thank you Jen for your kind words as always. Yes, I’m former USAF.

• jen-cueva

January 10, 2022 at 11:42 am

Hi @stephanie, I thought you were.

LOL @ripple76 on the zoo name and how it became that. Thank you both for your service in the USAF.

Randy, I hope and pray that you can make that reunion in 2023!

• stephanie-mitchell

January 6, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Hi Randolph. Putting in an inverter should enable you to power your M10 from your vehicle.

Is your zoo reunion in the Springs?

• randolph-reynolds

January 7, 2022 at 10:28 am

Stephanie

What did you do in the Air Force?  I was in the fifth graduating class of the Academy and yes we are going to have our reunion in C Springs sometime in 2023.  I see you recognize our term zoo.  Once upon a time we were thinking of ourselves as being in a ‘monastery’ but since so many people came to stare at us on the weekends zoo was more appropriate.

I salute you on your determination to stay active.

All the best