• Colleen

January 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm

@wheeldog thank you so much for sharing this information! I am not familiar with Evusheld. Had anyone heard of this before @wheeldog mentioned it?

I’m interested in knowing more and following your decision. As a transplant recipient I wonder if this would be an option for my son if it’s safer or more uncertain than the vaccinations.

• jen-cueva

January 27, 2022 at 1:11 pm

Hi @wheeldog, I had never heard of Evusure before you shared this. Thanks for the information. Which one of your doctors told you about this treatment, your oncologist?

Like @colleensteele, I would like to learn more about this and its effectiveness against COVID.

• Roger Bliss

January 27, 2022 at 1:40 pm

Had a visit with my oncologist today. He doesn’t recommend me getting Evusheld unless I am under treatment for my cancer. I was supposed to start cancer treatment, but can’t while I have this infection. The treatment would further lower my immune system, so then I should get Evusheld. It isn’t a vaccine, but rather similar to Regeneration, only it’s supposed to work better.

• Tris Windle

January 27, 2022 at 2:45 pm

Yes. Asked my doctors about it Dec 8th when released for emergency use by FDA for immuno-compromised patients and other categories. I’m still on the fence, but my doctors feel I should definitely get it. I have PAH, ILD and MCDT. I’m due for Rituxan again in 4 weeks which makes me very immuno-compromised. He said: “My bar for you is very low. I don’t want you to get sick and die from covid, so I really feel you should get the Evusheld.”

The vax didn’t work on me, so this is the best approach without many issues that should protect me. It works immediately too unlike the vaxes.

Google Evusheld, AstraZenica and look at the data fact sheet for medical providers for full information on Evusheld and all the details. It’sa 23 page PDF that’svery thorough.

I am scheduling for next week. It should last 6 months. There is NO data on longterm side effects currently, but there are some potential risks noted in the data sheet that do worry me, but that’s kinda true for all my meds. Its two shots at one time. You wait at the doctors for 1 hour after the shots to ensure there’s no reactions.

My problem is I’m totally isolated anyway, but I do have in-person doctors appointments that put me at risk, especially if it’s an illness that pops up and I need to be hospitalized….that would be bad as well.

I suggest doing your research and talk to your doctors and decide on risk vs. benefit. But, I have been told that even after treatment,  wear an N95 mask and continue all covid protocols to protect myself, including staying away from closed spaces with groups.

• Colleen

January 27, 2022 at 10:20 pm

@wheeldog, @jenc @twindle17 a forum moderator for the PF community at BioNews shared the following article with me. It offers more information about Evusheld.

Click on link: Hospitals use a lottery to allocate scarce COVID drugs for the immunocompromised 

• Carol Volckmann

February 14, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Thank you wheeldog for bringing this up and Tris and Colleen. I saw this in the news this morning and am going to call my Pulmontologist – I have an appointment with my PCP, but I think I will have better luck with UW. Everything I have read sounds like a go.

• Colleen

February 15, 2022 at 8:06 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com I’m so glad you brought this topic up again. I had forgotten about it and would like to ask Cullen’s doctor her opinion. He is scheduled for a cardiology appointment at the UW on the 18th but he is begging me to try and reschedule it because he is busy with a challenging final. Hopefully when I call tomorrow they can move him to a date not too far out and when we go I will ask about this.

Let us know what response you receive.

• Carol Volckmann

February 15, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Hi Colleen, I will also be seeing our new Cardiologist at UW the same day I have an appointment with my Pulmonologist – all on the 23rd. This Friday I have an appointment with my Rheumatologist so … many opinions (hoping for all agree one way or other). You may have some answers before I do. I will for sure let you know. Stay safe – sending you hugs from the peninsula!!

• Colleen

February 17, 2022 at 12:18 am

@cdvol3gmail-com Cullen has decided to keep his appointment on the 18th. I’ll let you know what is recommended. Maybe some day we will be at the UW at the same time and we can at least say hello to each other in person.

• Carol Volckmann

February 17, 2022 at 10:02 am

Wishing you and Collen good luck. I would love to know what his Cardiologist has to say.

Would love to meet you. I feel closer to you and Jen than many I see all the time or at least talk to.

Our next visit to UW to see our new Cardiologist and my Pulmonologist is on the 23rd.

Be well Colleen, I know you too are fighting your own battles and I do hope they are under control and that you are taking care of yourself! ????❤❤

• Colleen

February 17, 2022 at 2:19 pm

You are so supportive @cdvol3gmail-com and I really appreciate it! It sure would be nice to meet you someday. For now, cyber hugs to you!

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, please let us know how this conversation goes. I am curious and plan to mention it next month to my PH team at my appointment. I planned to research this a bit more but haven’t had the time/energy lately, so hoping to get to it before then.

• Carol Volckmann

February 20, 2022 at 5:44 pm

A very quick note – my Rheumatologist who treats me for Scleroderma SSs (caused my PAH) definitely recommends having the Evusheld. I will be seeing my Cardiologist on Wednesday and will get her opinion also.

• Colleen

February 21, 2022 at 10:51 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com thank you for the update my friend. I wanted to ask Cullen’s cardiologist but we had a lot of other things to talk about and Cullen figures if they want him to have it they will tell him. They are however encouraging him to get the booster.

• jen-cueva

February 22, 2022 at 10:56 am

Hi @colleensteele, how did Cullen’s appointment go? Did he get a positive report? Will Cullen be getting the booster soon? How does he feel about this and Evusheld? I know with him, being a young adult, he has his views. From the stories, it sounds like he has formed his own opinions from a very young age. He’s such an old soul.

• Roger Bliss

February 21, 2022 at 10:26 am

I don’t need treatment for my cancer so I won’t get Evusheld.

• jen-cueva

February 21, 2022 at 10:48 am

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, thanks for updating us from your rheumatologist about this treatment. I would guess that your cardiologist will agree too. But please do keep us posted, and I hope that you have a positive visit with great news for us.

Thanks, @wheeldog, for letting us know. I’m also grateful to hear that no treatment is needed for your cancer. When do you go back to UCSD again? Hopefully, you and Mary Ellen can enjoy Arizona and friends a bit in between your appointments.