• Exercise Induced Pulmonary Edema

Posted by libby on April 12, 2020 at 8:13 pm

Anyone ever experienced exercise induced pulmonary edema? I have been really good about walking 1.5 miles every day since this quarentine and have felt good about getting daily exercise. It’s all very flat ground, any inclines and I am dead. Well today I decided to try jogging part of it. I jogged about half a mile which for me is very good. For a good 5 hours after I had mucus in my lungs and was coughing on and off. It never produced anything and it wasn’t hard to breathe or anything but I had a “rattle” in my lungs. This has never happened before. Anyone else had this? Is this a sign of PH?

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • brittany-foster

April 13, 2020 at 7:45 am

@libby I have never had the unusual lung sounds before, but something that happens to me when I increase my activity level and begin jogging (doesn’t happen all the time but most of the time it does and stops me from that level of activity) is I get neck tightness. Usually it is on the left side of my neck and it feels really tight and constricted. Sometimes it makes me feel light headed so that is when I stop as soon as I feel any of that tightness. Has this ever happened to you at all with the tightness either in your chest or neck with increased activity? This is something that I have mentioned to my doctors and it seems to be related to exercise and when my body is low on oxygen.

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2020 at 9:13 am

Wow, @libby! Great job at exercise. I am sure this does help during this quarantine. I am sorry to hear of your issues resulting afterward. I have never had mucous as to speak, but coughing is more my issue and lightheadedness when I exercise. If I overexert myself, I will certainly feel the chest tightness and for some time afterward.

The mucus and “rattle” you describe are both concerning. I would certainly mention this to your medical team. I know that runners often develop what they call “track hack.” My kiddos have that after they run sometimes. But, they usually can cough it up.

I’m hoping today that this has cleared, please keep us posted.