Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Exercising With PH Tips for Exercising Safely with PH

• Tips for Exercising Safely with PH

Posted by kathleen-sheffer on February 19, 2018 at 8:41 pm

These nine tips can help you exercise safely with pulmonary hypertension. Do you have any tips to add?

After my transplant, I started exercising through a pulmonary rehabilitation program at a hospital. Such programs are available to PH patients, too, and can be a great way to start an exercise routine with staff on hand to monitor vital signs and recommend appropriate exercises based on your condition. Have you tried a pulmonary rehab program before?

kaye-norlin replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • isaura-santos

April 18, 2018 at 7:18 am

these are awesome tips, Kathleen!
    I’m summarising in case anyone is interested:
    1. Check with your doctor

2. Start slowly and be patient

3. Don’t start alone

4. Be careful with outdoor temperature

5. Alternate upper and lower body exercises

6. Try walking or swimming

7. Exercise with your oxygen

8. Give yourself some breaks

9. Stop if you’re not feeling well

• kaye-norlin

April 19, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Yes, I have done pulmonary rehab after a month in hospital in 2016. I hated it but I was told to go so I did for 6 months. The reason I hated it was not the exercise because it was fine and helped me; it was some of the people and one of the therapists there. She didn’t respect confidentiality and there were other issues. Post-transplant my team said I could do things on my own and finally gave me permission to at least walk the mall and continue yoga. I walked 2 miles on Tuesday and am planning on participating in 02 Breathe on May 5th, even if it is the Fun Walk; I would rather do the 5K but I am not sure that I will be ready by then. The mall is calling me now so I had better get active.