• Posted by jen-cueva on October 28, 2019 at 3:38 pm

I know that the cooler months have started in most areas. I also realize that these months can be hectic for PH. We have discussed the effects of seasons and the time change on our bodies. We spoke on mental and physical effects.

But, I also noticed that I have not seen some of the “usuals” here lately posting. I wanted to do a little check-in and see if anyone is going through a specifically difficult time. I understand that at times, between appointments and life, some keep busy. I am hoping that this is the case. But for others, this may mean that health-wise, you are struggling and just have not been on.

Please know that the forums are here for you and to be supportive. If there are things you want to discuss, please let us know. If you have been busy with other things, you can share that, too.

I have been busy working on the PH Awareness project but still try to come check-in at least every other day. Both Brittany and Colleen are doing an awesome job at leading the discussions.

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Vanessa Vaile

October 29, 2019 at 12:37 am

Yup, that’s me. I get forum updates by email and would probably click through to reply and comment if the links were active, like they are in the PH News Digests. Maybe moderators and columnists could bring this to the attention of IT.

Last week was Campus Equity Week. Although no longer teaching, I stay in touch professionally and support campaigns like CEW distance as best I can digitally. In addition to advocacy pages on FB, I also have a couple of community pages and maintain another for the county Indivisible group. I’m still getting used to how much more time just daily living takes with PH, let alone side gigs. In a way I paced myself better before meds because I had to. My body reminds me that I still have to. I’m adjusting to better not meaning no bad days and good ones not meaning no more side effects.

Weather — yes, when winter comes to Colorado, it doesn’t do it by half measures. Even so, bundled up enough, I handled last winter better than I did the heat this winter.

I have an idea for “30 days of PH Awareness” but will save it for commenting on that post.

Already past the time of coherent writing and moving into fat finger typing, so I’d best close now…

• Brittany Foster

October 29, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Vanessa,
      It sounds like you need to open up your own course on self care and making suee you are the one that comes first especially if we want our bodies to do the best that they poaaibly can. Your attitude and personality is certainly inspiring to me and others on here.

• Vanessa Vaile

October 31, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Oh @brittany-foster everytime something feels overwhelming I think of you decorating your oxygen tank as a dragon and just do it.

• Brittany Foster

November 1, 2019 at 7:41 am

Vanessa,
        Exactly ! You just gotta do it! We have to make the best of the moments we have and sometimes I need to be reminded of that and need to be reminded to just slow down and take life as it comes.

• jen-cueva

October 29, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Wow, Vanessa. I sure hope that you can take some time for yourself. I think that you will enjoy reading my upcoming column this Friday.

I know it is tough to balance trying to stay busy and helpful versus self-care. You are not alone.

I know so many are appreciative of all that you do but they would want you to feel your best, too. Hugs to you.

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2019 at 9:49 am

I’m glad you are going to be writing about that, Jen. Such an important topic to remind us to slow down and practice self care even when we feel like we are too busy for it. Those are the things that help us stay the most rejuvenated and strong!

• Jimi Mcintosh

October 29, 2019 at 12:31 pm

I am fighting off my usual fall ailments, pneumonia, RA, PAH, and stiffness. Truly enjoying the cooler weather, it would be ideal year round.

• Brittany Foster

October 29, 2019 at 12:48 pm

The Fall definitely does go alone with all of that for sure!!! For me it brings about the worst in allergy season. I used to love it when i was younger because for me it meant the start of hockey seasons and having something to look forward to!

• jen-cueva

October 29, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Aww, Brittany,I am sure that this season can also cause some depression for you as you think of hockey. How do you deal with this? Or have you been able to think of the happy moments playing without any depression?

Allergies, certainly are here. I never had bad allergies until the last few years. My hubby has always had them bad as Fall and Spring come around, it never fails. I finally got him to go in on Friday for an allergy shot, after his complaining and hard time for over a month. He is too often, hard-headed. Hehe

• jen-cueva

October 29, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Hi Jimi, thanks for sharing. The Fall season and cooler air certainly can stir up other ailments like pain from RA, etc, along with seasonal allergies as Brittany mentions.

I hope that you are keeping updated on brother the Flu and Pneumonia shots. It is the time of year when we hear of pneumonia too often.

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2019 at 9:41 am

My boyfriend won’t even get the flu shot even though I have been telling him to get one for the years that we have been together. At least I am protected myself. I wish he was too, but you can’t make someone do something they won’t. I feel like a lot of the depression comes from having to stay inside. Especially after what just happened with that game and getting hypothermia the way I did, I just will never ever do that again or take that type of risk.

• jen-cueva

October 31, 2019 at 8:04 am

Brittany, I am sure after that experience with hypothermia, you have many fears and anxieties about the upcoming months. I hope that you will be able to take short amounts of being outdoors. I know you will take many more precautions. I just hope that you can relieve some of these fears and anxieties with time.

As far as the flu shot, I do get those annually. With the Pneumonia shot, it is confusing. I was told it was good for me for like 5 years. But, I also know that several years back, the CDC changed the recommendations on the pneumonia shots. I have found that different medical centers follow their own protocol.

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2019 at 9:43 am

You’re right, Jen. Those flu and pneumonia shots are so important! Do you get the pneumonia shot every year or is that once every few years? I believe mine is once every 2 years.