Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health “Falling” In Love With Autumn?

• “Falling” In Love With Autumn?

Posted by Colleen on September 14, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Do you “Fall” in love with Autumn as much as I do?

Seasons can affect our moods so how does the changing of the leaves and slight chill in the air make you feel? Are you happy to pull those warmer clothes to the front of your closet, order a cup or slice of something pumpkin and go for a walk or drive to enjoy colorful trees or are you grieving summer and dreading the approaching winter?

Also, does autumn affect your PH care at all?

Share what you love or dislike about this time of year.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 6 months ago 5 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 15, 2022 at 1:41 pm

Like you, @colleensteele, I love the fall/autumn season. It reminds me of my childhood because my birthday is in October, and it was usually a fun-filled month. Halloween falls just after our birthdays, too.

I love the warm and cozy feel and the smell of apple cider and hot cocoa with melted marshmallows. I enjoy watching the leaves change colors and blow in the wind as they fall to the ground.

This year, I plan to make a trip to a local apple orchard and try a few wineries in the quaint little town nearby, Jullian.

Although, most know I love the beach and sunshine. The days described above are a great mix for me. But I know many of you who experience harsh winters may not enjoy this time of year. Where are our members who dread the long, harsh winters? We have a few “snowbirds,” too. Share your thoughts.

In Texas, the season cooling off certainly impacted my PH symptoms. But here, with the milder temperatures, not so much.

• Colleen

September 19, 2022 at 6:16 pm

@jenc I knew my birthday buddy loves this season too! Everything you said I enjoy too except the cider. Wish I could but I’m allergic to cinnamon. It’s the only part of the Fall I can’t experience.

@kygon pumpkin spice oreos? How have I not heard of these before? I don’t know if they have cinnamon in them but I would be willing to take a migraine on to try a few!

So how does everyone feel about scary movies? I don’t care for a lot of blood and gore but give me a good scary movie and a comfy blanket on a Fall night and I’m happy!

• jen-cueva

September 20, 2022 at 12:10 pm

Hi @colleensteele, that’s too funny that you tell me you’re allergic to cinnamon. But then you’re like, oh wait, @kygon; I may try those PS Oreos and tolerate the migraine if it does have cinnamon. Hehe. I’m headed to the grocery store soon, and If I don’t forget, I’ll look at the Oreos and see what it says for ingredients.

I will do some scary movies if I am not watching them alone. Now, some that Manny enjoys alone because I can’t do.

Our friends have already invited us to a Halloween Bash, so I am trying to think about a cool and funny Halloween costume for us. It’s been years since we’ve dressed up. How about y’all? Will you dress up for Halloween?

• kygon

September 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Oh I absolutely ADORE fall, the leaves, the smells, Pumpkin Spice Everything! PS pumpkin spice oreos are like the BEST little teat .. OH and of coarse the giant hoodies and sweaters LOL I love raking the leaves going on hikes in the crisp fall air .. Bryan and I have several favorite spots to go see the color changing not to mention we live in the foothills so we can just watch it change around us, with climate changes and the heat and drought this year hopefully it will still be a very colorful season. OH MY HAPPY Birthday Season PHriend JEN!!! May you be celebrated the full fall season!

• jen-cueva

September 19, 2022 at 9:57 am

Hi @kygon, Oh, I saw that pumpkin-spiced Oreos the other day. I usually go for the orange-filled Halloween ones. But I try hard not to buy any because I’ll eat the entire package in a few days; hehe.

Giant sweaters, hoodies, leggings, and Ugg or “Fugg” boots, as mine are not Uggs. LOL are all things to look forward to.

I hope you and Bryan will enjoy your favorite spots to see the changing leaves and find a few new places this year. You mention raking leaves; I also love the sound of them blowing around. As young kids, we would rake them and jump into the middle. I would do that now if someone had a large pile. Who’s game?

Thanks for the birthday season wishes. It’s our lovely co-moderator and my FWW, @colleensteele’s birthday season. Both of us have birthdays in October.

• kygon

September 20, 2022 at 1:24 pm

@colleensteele Happy Birthday Season to you and all others with Ocotober birthdays! @Jenc, Bryan and I love halloween, we used to do fun costumes that matched every year, but now that the kids are growing up I find tossing on a witchy hat and stiped stockings super easy. We have some friends that throw halloween parties every other year and to those we have gone as Alice and the mad hatter , did princess Bell and a taco .. so we were taco bell LOL.  I like to do something that I don’t have to do a ton of make up (I don’t mind a wig) but I was little dead riding hood and bryan was a bloody wolf and the make up took a long time and and smudged by the end of night.. and he got over heated as the wolf…same with vampires, the fake teeth kept popping off by the end of the evening… and you have to reapply blood after eating and drinking… I think next time they throw their party I am going to Try and talk bryan into being little red riding hood and I will be cute wolf hahaha

• jen-cueva

September 21, 2022 at 10:05 am

LOL, @kygon, let us know if Bryan will agree to be Little Red Riding Hood so you can be the sexy wolf. I already know what you’re thinking, LOL.

I told Manny we need to get this going and buy the things we need before October and the supplies run low, LOL.

One year we were the patient and sexy doctor. But he was the patient, with ,my wheelchair and even a fake catheter bag that I made some gross colored concoction to add to it. That took some time. But the neighbors/friends at that time loved it because it was earlier in my PH diagnosis. Plus they decided at last minute to do their party. My thinking cap is on, so thanks for the ideas.

• debbie-moore

September 19, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Happy double birthdays @jenc and @colleensteele!  I love fall.  I’m always cold, so bundling in my turtlenecks and sweaters is wonderful and cozy.  I live in the foothills too @kygon (Blue Ridge Mountains).  Love it when the leaves change.  Who could paint as beautiful of picture as God?  Anything pumpkin is good.  Mulled cider – mmmm!  We have a huge festival in Mount Airy – Autumn Leaves Festival.  That seems to kick off our season.  Oct. 14,15, & 16 – you all are invited!

• Colleen

September 19, 2022 at 6:08 pm

Thank you @debbie! Sorry, you lost me for a bit though when I read Blue Ridge Mountains. John Denver immediately started singing in my head. Oh how I wish I could join you for the festival! I would probably rate it better than Christmas!

• jen-cueva

September 20, 2022 at 12:06 pm

Hi @debbie, thanks so much for your birthday wishes next month, or maybe all season. Right, @colleensteele?

Oh my, your Autumn Leaves Festival sounds lovely. Thanks so much for inviting us all to join you. I would love to do that one year. Maybe I’ll have to plan that for a birthday excursion sometime. We can all enjoy the beautiful landscape and mulled cider. We will have Colleen sip on her peppermint mocha since she can’t have cinnamon.

I hope you take loads of pics and share them on your social media when you enjoy the festival in the next few weeks. How far is that from your house?

• kygon

September 20, 2022 at 2:55 pm

@debbiemoore, Blue ridge mountains look stunning! I will have to put it on the list of to see places for sure! The mountains behind us are Mt Timpanogos (Timpanooeke)  most known for the cave however we are just a skip down from many many beautiful canyons and have a wild flower festival every July in little cottonwood. I agree with you, God truly is the best artist, after all look at the sunset and sunrise, we are blessed to behold such beautiful places!

• barbara-a-perry

September 21, 2022 at 7:59 am

Ray and I grow pumpkins, gourds, butternut squash, and sunflowers. We recently found three baskets in the barn and made arrangements with the pumpkins and gourds to give to our kids and it was fun arranging them and nice seeing everyone when delivered.i made a butternut squash pie for breakfast the other day. It was delicious. Tried adding a little cocoa powder to the flour to make the crust.Gave it a nice flavor. Happy birthday to October babies. including me.Enjoy Fall!

• jen-cueva

September 21, 2022 at 10:11 am

Hi @braysgemstone, first off, Happy birthday season. What day in October is your special day?

Aww, my late Pawpaw grew gourds along with many other crops. I rarely recall eating butternut squash but I love most squash, so I plan to try many different things using it this fall. I’ve had it roasted along with sweet potatoes and other root veggies.

My daughter’s favorite flower is the sunflower. I love the Fall arrangements you made for your kids. I would have used it on my entryway to decorate for a bit. That sounds like something my mom would do. I bet the kids really enjoy these.

Now that I’m all in a fall eating mood, I have nothing here but my stew with some root veggies I made yesterday in my Instapot. That’s my lunch. I would prefer a slice of pie with my coffee, LOL.

• barbara-a-perry

September 21, 2022 at 6:23 pm

Hi All! My birthday is October 5. What day is yours?

What is your recipe for root vegetable stew?

I do not know if the pulmonologist specializes in PH. He took his time to draw me a picture of what it is so I could comprehend PH. I have COPD and started using Breztri, an aerospace inhaler.

Looking forward to seeing the beautiful colors of the leaves in the trees, the hot mulled cider, cider donuts covered in cinnamon and sugar, brightly colored porch decorations, and those cornstalks with Indian corn.

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2022 at 2:34 pm

Hi @braysgemstone, my late stepfather’s birthday is October 5. Mine is on the 28, so I’m almost Halloween baby.

I don’t usually follow a recipe; it just depends on what I have on hand. But I use lean stew meat, lots of garlic and onion, and turnips, celery, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Sometimes, the veggies change based on my mood and what’s on sale and in the pantry/fridge.

It sounds like you’re happy with your pulmonologist. Does that inhaler offer you relief?

You mention porch decorations; @colleensteele usually does an excellent job with hers. Last night, I told my hubby, Manny, that I’m trying hard to wait until October 1st to put mine out. However, today is the first day of fall.

• barbara-a-perry

September 22, 2022 at 3:17 pm

I didn’t know that I was breathing with any problem until I started using Breztri around a month ago. Today I danced continually at a senior center 50th celebration. I’m sure the inhaler helped with that. T u for the stew ingredients and for telling me about having a mutual birthday with your stepdad.
        Looking forward to seeing Colkeen”s decorated porch.

• Colleen

September 21, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Oh, another Autumn child among us! Happy soon to be birthday @braysgemstone!

One of my favorite pictures of my mom and I was her holding me up to the sky to see the top of a sun flower we grew together. So whenever I see a sunflower I think of that.

I’ve never grown gourds but I love decorating with them. It’s fun looking for unique shapes and colors.

• jen-cueva

October 11, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Please help me wish our very own @colleensteele a Happy Birthday today! Colleen, we are fortunate to have you here to lead us and offer your kindness and love daily. You are the jelly to our peanut butter!

Hoping you have a great day celebrating the amazing beautiful soul you are. I love you bunches and am blessed to call you my FWW and friend.

Happy Happy Birthday to you- may all your wishes come true.