Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Brittany Foster
      Keymaster

One of my favorite things to do with a chronic illness is to make fun of myself. If you follow my instagram page “recharged.rewired” you would most likely see funny memes, goofy pictures of myself, etc. I have always used humor to get me through difficult times and love when other can relate to my sarcasm and inappropriately funny jokes.

Something that I do often is try to laugh through some of my hardest symptoms. One of these symptoms is brain fog. I am always forgetting things to the point where I would forget my own birthday if I wasn’t reminded of it by family members. Yesterday I had to have a laugh at myself as I desperately tried to remember passwords for different sites. Sometimes the struggle bus is just too real!

What are some aspects of your illness that you enjoy finding some humor in (even though chronic illness itself isn’t funny, for some it can help to lighten the seriousness of things). Do you use humor in your own life to help you in difficult times?

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

I can’t wait to read the responses to this topic! Honestly, I don’t know how my son and our family could have survived all these years without humor! We have made each other laugh during serious situations which to any outsider must have appeared that we where all going crazy!

Here is my favorite humorous memory of when both me and my son where experiencing brain fog at the same time! When I read this post I made to his Caringbridge that day it still makes me laugh out loud! Even the first paragraph was funny after the fact, an example of something others wouldn’t find humor in at all.

“I got get a game from the library, but when I returned he wasn’t in bed. It really startled me so I yelled his name, not realizing the poor kid was just next to the privacy curtain trying to untangle himself from all his leads, tubing, etc.. He didn’t hear me walk in and he just about hit the ceiling, “Oh my God mom, NEVER do that to someone with PH,” as he clutched his chest. He wasn’t on his monitor at the time but I can imagine his heart rate was going wild. Way to go mom!

When he has to go to the bathroom we have to unplug a bunch of plugs and wires then plug him back in when he returns. He was already all undone so I grabbed everything and started leading him to the bathroom. Now I’m standing inside the bathroom, he’s standing outside of it and we are staring at each other. I ask, “What are you doing?” He asked me, “What are YOU doing?” “I’m helping you to the bathroom.” He said, “I was coming back from the bathroom and TRYING to get back in bed.” “Then why did you let me walk you to the bathroom door?” “Because I thought that was your way of straightening out the wires.” So there is a little hospital humor for you for the day.”

Brittany Foster
      Keymaster

Omg Colleen!!! Hahahaha! I love where we can find humor in situations other people would find horrific. I have a funny bathroom type story of when I was in the hospital. Before my nervous system was more stabilized my heart rate would spike so high with just the simplest of movements. Well, let’s just say I was going to the bathroom and the nurses came running in because when I was having some GI troubles on the toilet my heart rate was going all over the place and the nurses were running in like “what’s happening!?” I yelled out “I’m just trying to go to the bathroom!” Hahahaha!

Colleen Steele
        Keymaster

Brittany, that is too funny, well, maybe not so much when it happened but now it is, right? Days after my son’s transplant, as he was starting to move around, all he wanted to do was go to the bathroom privately. Most nurses would allow me to stay behind the privacy curtain in case he needed help. However, there is always that one who will insist on following every rule by the book. She told him she had to stand there and watch him to make sure he was ok. He said, “Then I guess I’m just going to have to hold it until shift change because I am NOT going to the bathroom in front of you!” He was a 14 year old boy, I mean seriously, give him a break! LOL!

Brittany Foster
          Keymaster

OMG I can’t even imagine being a boy in the hospitals. It sometimes gets super awkward for me when the nurses are my age or younger and I’m like talking to them about my bowel and bladder habits or having them change the sheets if I get sick to my stomach. It just gets weirder as you get older, especially with children’s hospitals LOL there’s so many plus sides to being at the children’s hospital, but also I feel like so many of the doctors and nurses are so YOUNG and it can get awkward really fast. Must be way worse for guys though, especially when the nurses are good looking ! (maybe that’s not where their thoughts are running to when feeling sick in the hospital but still).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account