• Hair loss and what to do about it?

Posted by Brittany Foster on November 26, 2019 at 1:21 pm

This past year from being malnourished before my surgery for my heart, dealing with over 8 surgeries and procedures, and taking a lot of medications, I have experienced hair loss and thinning. My hair was never exactly thick and full to begin with but I have noticed the thinning of it and the just over all appearance of it when it is pulled up is noticeably different.

I am wondering if there are others that have experienced hair loss? What do you think has contributed to this for you? What (if any) supplements have you used that helped with hair regrowth? Do you use any special shampoos or products in your hair? I have been trying out the Biotin products that promote hair regrowth and have been using it for a little over a week. There is definitely a little more bounce to my hair I think but I will have to continue to use it to see full effects.

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 4 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 27, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Well I mentioned somewhere else where I was thankful my hair is growing back. I lost all my hair over a year ago and was completely bald, because I went through high doses of Cytoxin ( chemo) it was horrible, to say the least! But it did help me to get better. Anyway losing all my beautiful long hair, it was down to my waist. Caused me to mentally break down. I couldn’t help it. I cried for days and it almost broke me. But luckily it is growing back. I take vitamins everyday and it seems to help. I also use protein masks in my hair. And yes eating has helped it grow the most. I will never cut my hair again! Losing all of it made me really appreciate it! Lol

• Brittany Foster

December 3, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Shannon,
      It’s true that we really don’t know what we have until it’s gone and we don’t have it. I am grateful that your hair has been growing back too. I can only imagine the emotional stress and mental toll that all of that caused. It is so hard to see changes in how you physically look on the outside, especially when on the inside you must have been feeling so poorly too.

• Elaine Wanhala

November 28, 2019 at 10:37 am

My hair has been thinning for a number of years. Probably because I am hypothyroid and old age and being on many medications. I April, I started using a biotin shampoo. I also use a biotin conditioner and take a biotin supplement. I started noticing a difference in August and now in November I definitely can tell a difference. I get them all at Amazon. Am I allowed to post a specific product here? Elaine

• Brittany Foster

December 3, 2019 at 12:19 pm

I also use the same biotin product and I see a difference in the thickness of my hair. I have not heard of the supplements though. I will have to ask my pharmacist or doctors about this too. I think that when I start getting better nourishment it will also help!

• Carol Volckmann

December 2, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Hi Brittney and Shannon, I have not experienced hair loss, but Shannon’s experience sounds like one I would try for sure. I am so glad it has helped Shannon get through a very tough time. Hopefully there are remedies out there that will help.My heart goes out to you both.

Today is Thanksgining. Going around the family dinner last year sharing what we are thankful for, our youngest grandson said “I am thankful for Dr Saggar ’cause he is helping Gammy.” I wish all a very thankful day – be safe and fill your heart with joy!

• Brittany Foster

December 3, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Carol,
      That certainly is something to be thankful for ! Especially when a child mentions something like that as part of his “thanks” . You are blessed for sure!

• Colleen

December 3, 2019 at 4:09 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com what a sweetheart your grandson is! You are obviously so very loved! It sounds like you have a very nice Thanksgiving.

• Vanessa Vaile

December 3, 2019 at 11:16 am

OTOH my thining hair (never thick and male pattern baldness runs in the family) is somewhat thicker due to increased circulation in scalp since being on Uptravi. That’s a plus since the other side effects are less agreeable.

• Brittany Foster

December 3, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Vanessa,
      At least that is one benefit of the medication that you’re on. There has to be some plus side to all of this. The shampoo and conditioner I use is supposed to increase the circulation in the hair and that’s how it works and part of the active ingredients in it. So I could see why circulation would play a role in all of this for sure!

• Jimi Mcintosh

December 5, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Brittany if possible, start using gelatin, capsules or even drinking
    Liquid jello. The gelatin will help your hair and nails, soothe your stomach.
    Bone broth will help your thinning hair. I have been using it for years to help
    Strengthen my bones.

Check with your doctor or dietician before using any supplements

• Brittany Foster

December 5, 2019 at 5:19 pm

Jimi ,
      Thank you for this information ! I definitely will run it by my medical team and see what their thoughts are. I have heard of bone broth being good for you. Do you use it as a soup and put other things in it or do you just have the broth? I’m curious about how it tastes just plain.