Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Has Anyone Had Experience With Ranexa for Chest Pains?

• Has Anyone Had Experience With Ranexa for Chest Pains?

Posted by jen-cueva on July 16, 2021 at 1:44 pm

In my 16 years with PH, I have always had chest pains at times. Most often, this is more of a heaviness in my chest. You all know it as the “elephant sitting in your chest,” most likely.

But at times, the chest pain is more like a deep crushing pain that squeezes tightly. Of course, no nitro(nitrates), so I have been on pain medication when it gets that bad.

A new cardiologist saw me this time and planned to try Ranexa (ranolazine) for chest pain. It is a medication that doctors used for uncontrolled angina (chest pains). It is a twice per day medication, not only as needed. After a few doses, my PH team decided that it was not a great mix with my other PH meds.

It is mostly used for patients who have blockages. So, it would probably not have been effective for me anyway.

Does anyone here have experience with this medication? If so, did it help your chest pains? Do you have issues with blockages?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Colleen

July 16, 2021 at 9:39 pm

@jenc it makes me feel so sad to hear you describe your chest pains because I know the kind you are talking about. Cullen use to get them that bad. I’m not familiar at all with Ranexa. Cullen was never given anything for the chest pain because the options weren’t safe for him. Keep in mind he also had Long QT Syndrome which complicated treatments a lot more.

When he was placed on Milrinone it helped somewhat with the chest pain but I don’t want you to have to go that route unless you absolutely have to.

The heated corn bags helped him. I really need to ask my friend if she can make you some.

• jen-cueva

July 19, 2021 at 1:38 pm

Hi @colleensteele, you are so kind. I appreciate your words of encouragement, as always.

I know that Cullen was on milrinone and a few other PHriends to help their chest pains. I am keeping that one in my pocket as a last resort. Thanks for that reminder.

I am so forgetful most days. I blame CRS and post-COVID, not age at all, hehe.

• Carol alexander

July 18, 2021 at 7:35 am

No JEN NO EXPERIENCE WITH THAT SORRY YOU ARE HAVING A HARD TIME THINKING OF YOU Payers to you

• jen-cueva

July 19, 2021 at 1:40 pm

Hi @carol-alexander, you are so sweet. I never see you post much anymore. How are you doing? Are you doing OK?

Some days, I know it is a struggle to breathe, too. I am sending hugs your way from Texas.