Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Has Anyone Tried a Whole Food Diet?

• Has Anyone Tried a Whole Food Diet?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 14, 2020 at 5:13 pm

Many people believe that diet plays a role in our health a great deal. Because my daughter is a registered dietician, RD, I hear about nutrition and lifestyles often. I have often thought of trying a whole-food-based diet. When we eat at home, and I am feeling good, I cook pretty healthy. We usually eat lean proteins, whole grains, and veggies. My downfall is fresh bread and baked goods, hehe. That and the weekend if we order food, etc.

Eating and cooking more at home helps me to know what is in my food. But, even condiments, like mayo, ketchup, etc., are not whole foods. That and any prepackaged food often has a list of 50 plus ingredients. These processed foods are not the greatest.

Have you tried a whole-food-based diet or any other diet to help with your PH? I know a few PHriends who are now vegetarian and/or vegan, and they swear that helps them feel better. What are your thoughts? Let’s talk about this?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Janet

July 29, 2021 at 1:52 am

Thank you soo much for suggesting your healthy routine, I am definitely going to try and will update back.

• jen-cueva

July 29, 2021 at 10:36 am

Hi @janet123, what type of diet does your family member follow? Has their PH team suggested a specific diet?

Are you a caregiver or a family member looking to understand PH better?

Please keep us posted on your healthy eating routine.

• Darla McCollim

July 29, 2021 at 7:15 pm

I have PH, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and stage 4 Peritoneal Cancer. Been on a lot of diets to improve my well being. My rule #1 is no high fructose corn syrup. #2 the closer to unprocessed food the better. # 3 Add healthier food than subtracting food groups. #4 You are human and if you crave a Dorito or a maple bar just don’t over do. Your body will let you know if it’s unhappy.

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2021 at 10:54 am

Well said, @darlarayne; we can try our best on most days. But as my daughter, a dietician reminds me, eat what you crave in moderation. We are human, and often those cravings mean that we need something else.

One day, we were talking, and I asked her what I was craving pineapple. Her fast response was that I needed to eat pineapple. LOL

Do you have cravings for certain foods? I often crave veggies and fruit, but other times I crave red meat or pizza. So, I eat that if I have it but a small amount.

I know that many of our cravings mean that our bodies lack a specific nutrient. It isn’t always what we think we need, LOL.

This is an interesting article that explains some of the reasons that we may crave foods.

• Cathy Brown

September 7, 2021 at 3:04 pm

I love the idea of a whole food diet, but sadly find I don’t have the energy to prepare food from scratch.

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2021 at 11:00 am

Hi @catbrown, you make an important point. Many of us are too exhausted to prepare healthier meals. But in my column last year, I interviewed my daughter about simple shortcuts for us with a decreased number of spoons.

In case you missed that, here it is. I have learned a few more simple tricks since.

Here in Texas, we had a grocery chain, HEB. They offer simple meals that are affordable and easy to slide in the oven or microwave. It is often a lean protein and veggie. Some have rice or whole grains. I usually get one or 2 of those and a few frozen meals that offer healthy options without a ton of extra sodium and a long list of ingredients.