Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Working With PH Has PH Made You Better At Your Job?

• Has PH Made You Better At Your Job?

Posted by Colleen on May 30, 2019 at 8:00 am

There is no doubt that holding down a job and having Pulmonary Hypertension is challenging. You might easily be able to list ways that PH has made working difficult, but have you ever considered how it has helped you become better at your job?  Are there skills and a mind set that you developed through your PH experiences that have been useful at work? Can you think of an example of when you handled something at work better than anyone else, possibly because of your experiences from living with a rare disease?

charles-nester replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • jen-cueva

June 1, 2019 at 11:49 am

Although not long after my PH diagnosis, I was unable to continue my job, I think this is a great question. I know many PH patients are able to continue their jobs or even other jobs, so I’m interested to read the comments.

I do think that living with PH could help some have patience as well as not be so judgmental of others , for example; even if I’m shopping or eating, If the cashier or server is not very friendly, maybe they are having a bad day, we have no clue what others are going through and what it took them just to make it to work that day! I know some days, it takes me a lot just to get showered and dressed! Can y’all who work , either home or outside the home relate ?

• brittany-foster

June 1, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Jen,
      I had a similar experience as you with having to leave my job. I worked as a special education teacher. I feel like my life growing up with a heart condition and the compassion I have for others who are struggling with something led me to be a better teacher. I just “got it”. I knew that my students went through a lot and I could give them sympathy but I also REFUSED and will always refuse to allow them to use their disability as a reason for terrible behavior or acting out. I think this gave the students a different level of respect for me. Because I pushed them appropriately despite their disability. That’s what I miss the most !

• jen-cueva

June 1, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Brittany, that’s a great point and I respect you and know the kids learned to respect you as well. A disability does not allow someone to have bad behavior, although I do have compassion and sympathy, I know adults with disabilities who try and use that for their bad behavior and poor choices. I see this on Facebook, even within the PH community. I applaud you and I’m sure you miss it greatly!

You’re an awesome teacher here on the forums and I feel that you teach in so many others ways as well.

• brittany-foster

June 1, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Jen,
        I really do miss it a lot! It was so hard for me to give that up. I just know that with my health so many aspects of it are unpredictable and always will be. It makes it hard to keep and maintain a job when there’s so much unknown.

• jen-cueva

June 3, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Brittany, I can definitely relate! Often, when I have several good days in a row, I feel like I can conquer the world as my hubby says, hehe…I’m often saying, ohh I could maybe go back to work….

Then, my PH likes to stop by and remind me why I’m not working . As you mention, often when our health is so unpredictable, it’s tough to maintain a job. I just continue to think …” one day “, even after so many years.

• brittany-foster

June 3, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Jen,
        I totally get what you mean. Sometimes I like to think that it will be possible for me to go back to work full time and then I remember that even at my best there were still so many days that I had to take out. As a teacher this was really difficult. Not only did I have to do EXTRA work when I missed days because of planning for the absent days and planning for things for the sub teacher to do, but it gave me MORE work to do when I got back from missing a few days, never mind the times where I had to take even more days off. Being in a public school and around so many kids made me so susceptible to illness that I ended up with meningitis my first year teaching and had to take 3 months out of work. It was awful. Such a disservice to the kids for me to be out as often as I was.

• Colleen

June 3, 2019 at 5:25 pm

Jen and Brittany, I can imagine how leaving your jobs must have been so disappointing for you. When I posted this question I tried to word it in a way that included those who also work from home as well. Attending school became impossible for my son for all the reasons you mentioned regarding work, so I get it. I hope you both find satisfaction in all the lives you touched when you where working. In a sense, the work you did has continued on, for example, through Brittany’s students. I’m sure you had a tremendous life-long influence on them!

You both are a great influence here and your contributions are so important! I’m sure there are day’s when it’s a challenge just to put a sentence together, and yet you do. Your talents and work ethic are displayed here every day. Thank you!

• brittany-foster

June 3, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Colleen,
      It’s really moving to me to hear from some of my old students that I had. You should have seen the outpouring of messages I was getting from some of them before my surgery. I had to stop and realize, “wow, even though I was only with this kids for a short amount of time, I made a difference in their life”. Enough of a difference that a few of them reached out to me to tell me the impact I had on them and how I helped them through hard times. It brought tears to my eyes and is something I will hold onto forever. I feel like that part of me is never gone and I try to keep the “teacher” in me alive in different ways.

• jen-cueva

June 3, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Brittany, you have me in tears! That’s so amazing, I definitely know that you impacted those kids much more than you’ll ever know!

• Colleen

June 3, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Brittany, that has me choked up, hearing how your students have reached out to you. That must be such an amazing feeling to know how you have touched their lives! I’m sure in many ways they still see you as their teacher!

• brittany-foster

June 4, 2019 at 8:12 am

It definitely was one of the greatest feelings and exactly what I needed to hear at the time too. It made me want to push forward and realized that even though I felt like I was failing them by taking so many days off during that school year, I’m still someone they had in their life that impacted them and made a difference.

• charles-nester

June 4, 2019 at 8:03 am

Has PH Made You Better At Your Job? This description enchanted me so much, and now I am so excited to know about it.
    Thanks for sharing a useful idea,

• brittany-foster

June 4, 2019 at 8:10 am

Hi Charles,
      Are you currently working with PH? I am lucky to be able to have a job from home right now but before I had my surgery I was able to nanny (hopefully will be getting back to that sooner than later once I get some strength up) . I know that having the extra income from that helped a lot.

• charles-nester

June 10, 2019 at 5:29 am

Hi Brittany, yes, I work with PH and confess that a little extra income helps me a lot. I feel proud of working with PH.

• brittany-foster

June 11, 2019 at 6:36 am

Charles,
        I would feel proud of that too. It always is a good thing to feel like you are contributing to something and doing something with your day (whether it makes me money or not, having something to keep me grounded and stay busy does help with my mood and mental health).

• Colleen

June 4, 2019 at 12:21 pm

I thought it was a good topic too @charlesnester mainly because I am a believer that you can always find some good that comes out of the bad. You can’t change the fact that you have PH so you might as well take the life lessons you gain from the experience and use it in a positive way. I hope more people respond to the question. Are you currently working Charles or have past working experience that you would like to share?

• jen-cueva

June 4, 2019 at 1:38 pm

So true, Colleen! I’m hoping to find something online to do as I think it’s just a part of dignity for myself if I’m working , even in a some small way. Life lessons are so important !

• charles-nester

June 10, 2019 at 5:23 am

Hey Collen, I agree with you because of life lessons are very important for living life. Collen, I greatly want to tell you that I feel better in this forum and feel happy.
        Thanks

• Colleen

June 10, 2019 at 11:10 am

Charles, it makes me so happy to hear that our forums are helping you. It is so important to me and Brittany that everyone feels welcome and supported here. Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us!

• brittany-foster

June 11, 2019 at 6:33 am

Charles,
        I’m so glad that these forums are able to hopefully make you feel less alone in all that you’re going through. They really have helped me a ton as well and I’m so lucky to be able to connect with such amazing people who truly “get it” and know what it’s like to live with suffering and difficulty. How have things been going for you lately? Have you had any changes to your health?

• charles-nester

June 15, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Thanks to all and all the best.