• Has Your Child Had a Potts Shunt?

Posted by jen-cueva on October 14, 2020 at 8:53 am

We have a new member, @azad, who has a teen son who had a POTTS shunt performed. I know another adult locally who had this procedure done in St. Louis a few years ago. For those of you who remember the term “blue babies” from years ago, this is actually an old procedure. I also heard from a local parent that it was quite difficult to locate a doctor specializing in cases like this when a child has severe PH.

Check out the link to find out more if you are interested. It is quite long, but I wanted some good information if some want to read up about this.

POTTS shunt

@azad, how long ago did your son have his POTTS shunt and where? I read that you are still concerned about his RV function. This should improve over time after this procedure. What has his surgeon said about this?

Has anyone else had a child go through this? Has discussion about a POTTS shunt been brought up by any f your child’s doctors? Please share any thoughts on this.

jen-cueva replied 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Md. Abul Kalam Azad

October 18, 2020 at 12:08 am

He undergone Potts Shunt in 2015. After Potts Shunt his RV become functioning. But few moths back it became again dysfunction. His Potts shunt de at Narayana, Bangalore, India.

• jen-cueva

October 20, 2020 at 9:48 am

Thanks for sharing, @azad. What has his surgical team said about the dysfunction? I am grateful that it sounds like it helped for about 5 years until this appeared to be an issue again?

• Md. Abul Kalam Azad

October 21, 2020 at 1:16 am

His surgical team said this will work long time if his PH is controlled.

• Colleen

November 9, 2020 at 4:12 pm

I shared in our “Awareness and Advocacy” forum a PH Mom’s story for “30 Days of PH” about her daughter who had the Potts Shunt procedure. Would anyone like to revisit this topic? If so share you questions and experience.

Have any of our adult members had this procedure or discussed it with their doctor?

• jen-cueva

January 3, 2024 at 3:53 pm

I saw an update from @marc and wanted to share it here so others don’t miss it, too. The message says, “First, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you and yours. My 3-year old grandson is doing great with his PH in terms of level of activity but has “plateaued” in terms of his current treatment, according to his care team, and they’re recommending a Potts Shunt. They are arranging a consultation in St. Louis and believe that it would be best to have it done while he is still strong. Does anyone have experience with the procedure in their toddlers, particularly the recovery and aftermath? TYIA”

Happy New Year, Marc! I hope you and your family enjoyed a lovely holiday season. I know a mom who shared her child’s jouney with POTTS Shunt in one of our 30 Days of PH stories. Here’s that link below.

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/30-days-of-ph/30-days-of-ph-quality-of-life-improved-by-potts-shunt-surgery/

I also have a friend, a mom of another child with PH, who had her POTTS shunt surgery in St Louis. Her name is Teresa, and I told her I would share her information with you. I’m happy to send her an email in a private message.

• marc

January 3, 2024 at 7:32 pm

Thank you. I received the email you sent. I appreciate the support. All the best to you

• jen-cueva

January 4, 2024 at 2:32 pm

Hi @marc. It’s my pleasure. We all must work together to help one another. I know Teresa has experience with St Loius, and I told her it was your 3-year-old grandson. Please keep us posted here on how he is doing and if we can support you and your family in any way.