Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Community Events Have You Attended Any Regional Conferences for any of your health conditions?

• Have You Attended Any Regional Conferences for any of your health conditions?

Posted by brittany-foster on June 25, 2019 at 3:25 pm

I really loved the last adult congenital heart conference I went to. I realized that there are so many other conferences for many of the health conditions I have. Going to the conference a few years ago for the ACHA and meeting tons of doctors and surgeons, and other patients was so great.

Next April I am going to be attending the regional conference for electrophysiology and pacemakers. Today, my doctor asked me if I would be interested in speaking and participating IN the conference as a patient speaker. It was really great to have him ask me if I wanted to do that and he told me that I have a really good story to tell.

Has anyone attended conferences for their other health conditions too? What take away things did you learn from these conferences? Have you ever spoken as part of a patient panel/ solo speaker at any of these events?

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • jen-cueva

June 25, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Awesome, Brittany! You’ll do awesome!

As I’ve mentioned before, I have been to one PH Conference in Dallas several years ago. It was an amazing time. It was so great to meet up with so many I had talked to online. It was like we all ” fit” in. It was sad to leave.

I was part of a patient-led session. I spoke as well as @kaye-norlin and one caregiver on our team. It was us 3, so we didn’t have to talk the entire time. I was super nervous but had tons of support! I think @kaye-norlin did early morning yoga classes, too. ( sadly, I wasn’t up that early)

These types of Conferences are awesome, we had people from all over the world. We had patients, caregivers, doctors, nurses, and others. I really enjoyed it, although I was exhausted by the end of it.

I say go for it, you’ll be awesome!

• brittany-foster

June 26, 2019 at 11:53 am

Jen,
      I remember you sayin that about attending the conference. I’m glad that you were able to make some good connections. I feel like that was the best part of the conference that I attended. Thats is so cool that Kaye did a yoga session! That is something I would have loved to attend. I think more exercise type classes or modified classes should be offered (as long as each doctor allows it of course!)

• jen-cueva

June 26, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Yes, I hate I missed the yoga classes. I’m hoping that @kaye-norlin will pop in and share as I know she was still teaching yoga . It is great to have those classes available and as you mention, depends on the doctor approval.

• Colleen

June 26, 2019 at 6:18 pm

I’m embarrassed to say we have never attended a conference. I’ve heard nothing but good things from others who have attended them. Brittany, I know you will do such a great job at the conference in April! Can’t wait to hear about it!

• kaye-norlin

September 23, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Hi People,
    My life has calmed down lately so I did pop in. I am going to be starting my yoga on-line this winter. There will be sessions for PH patients, among others. All this will be in connections to my NFP: Creative Connections. I will let you know.

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Great, Kaye! I am so excited. I am glad that your are slowing down a tad, well, probably not much, knowing you. Hehe

We certainly will be on the look out for this.

• brittany-foster

September 23, 2019 at 6:38 pm

That’s so awesome, Kaye! Are you going to be the one teaching the classes too? If so I didn’t know that you were an instructor.

• Colleen

September 23, 2019 at 2:23 pm

This is awesome Kaye! Please let us know when you start and we can make it a topic where you can share yoga tips and links to your yoga on-line