Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies Have You Been Unresponsive to PH Treatments?

• jen-cueva

September 25, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Colleen, I hate that your son did not continue to do well on treatments and required a transplant. I am grateful that he was able to receive the transplant and doing well with it post-transplant. I know it must have been one scary ride to watch him. I know it still is a hectic journey.

I know that some PH patients who I have met through the years do well on one treatment and that lasts them years. Then, like myself, I was started on Revatio and a Calcium Channel Blocker(CCB) which I did not do well on the CCB. I was then just told to increase. my Revatio dose. I increased to that to 3 pills, 3x per day. This lasted for me for almost 2 years. I only had oxygen and the diuretics to add with it. But then my pressures started to increase and I was having more symptoms. I tried almost all oral PH meds available that was not contraindicated for me. Nothing was holding me.

Then Orenitram came out and my PH team decided to try that. I took that for maybe 4 months. I was losing weight, not able to eat. I was having more lightheaded and dizziness as well as horrible GI side effects. My PH team discussed IV, I was ready if I needed it. Thankfully, Uptravi cam out and it was told to be less GI side effects. We decided to try that and thank God that is working so far. I know that IV is on the table and I always told my PH team I want to save that until there is no other choice. I am just happy that I have been on all oral meds and for the research that we have.

• Brittany Foster

September 25, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Colleen,
    A similar thing happened to me while on oxygen therapy. In the beginning of my therapy, with exertion and activity it DID improve my oxygen levels when I was at 3 liters of oxygen. My levels went from in the low 80s to the mid 90s. Now, my SYMPTOMS improve siginifanctly when wearing my oxygen with activity, but it doesn’t reflect in the number on the pulse ox. I have to remind myself that I am still getting the oxygen delivered to my body that I wouldn’t be getting if I didn’t wear it, but it is hard when the body doesn’t improve in the same ways or when I end up needing more of a medication than I did before.