Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Working With PH Have You Considered A Career In Nursing?

• Have You Considered A Career In Nursing?

Posted by Colleen on June 8, 2021 at 12:37 pm

In my column this week, From PH Mom to Registered Nurse: A Story of Love and From PH Mom to Registered Nurse, I interviewed a PH mom who has successfully pursued a career in nursing. I really admire her for that. It hasn’t been easy balancing her son’s care and her nursing education, but somehow she did it.

I have heard caregivers, myself included, comment on how we should take our PH experience to the next level and go into nursing. Some people, like Carrie, have actually taken on the challenge and I don’t know any of them who have regretted the decision.

I do also know a few PH patients who are nurses. It can be very challenging with their health issues but they are trying to keep at it for as long as they can.

What are your thoughts about this? Have you ever considered pursuing a career in nursing or other position in the medical field? How would your experience make you a better nurse?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

June 8, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Wow, this was an emotional tug at my heart, @colleensteele. First off, as a mom, I applaud her. I can only imagine how complicated and bi=usy their life has been. Then my nursing background applauds her again. What a beautiful story!

I know Manny has said that he should have been in the medical field on more than one occasion, not a diesel mechanic. Hehe

But, as you mention, many caregivers say this, but Carrie did it! She will make an excellent nurse, and what a treasure for other families to have her and her background to talk and walk them through their struggles.

This is such a touching column; we all can learn from it.