Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions Have you experience back pain several days post heart cath?

• Have you experience back pain several days post heart cath?

Posted by jen-cueva on January 22, 2024 at 11:02 am

A new forum member, @Nikki, asked about back pain a few days after his husband’s heart catheter was typical. I would expect this to be more likely if he had both a right and left heart cath after needing to lie flat for hours.

However, to be safe, I suggested calling his PH nurse and asking them since they know his case and any other ongoing health issues that could cause his back pain.

So many other heart issues could also cause some back pain.

Have you or your loved ones experienced back pain after a heart cath? Please share your experiences with Nikki.

jen-cueva replied 2 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • jen-cueva

January 24, 2024 at 4:36 pm

Hi @Nikki, since it’s been a few more days since you posted. I wanted to check in to see how your hubby is doing with that back pain he was experiencing post-heart cath. Please update us when you can and have some time, Nikki. We are here to support you both.

• Roger Bliss

January 27, 2024 at 1:28 pm

I had one 4 days ago (1/23) and no back pain. I looked on the list of possible side effects that I was given and no mention of back pain as one of them.

• jen-cueva

January 29, 2024 at 2:27 pm

Hi, @Roger Bliss. I have not had back pain from an RHC. I have heard some complaints of soreness, but it is more achy if they have both a right and left heart cavity. This is because of lying flat for hours. But you’re correct; it’s not on the list of side effects in general.

How did your RHC go, Roger?

@Nikki, how are things going this week? Did the back pain resolve?

• Roger Bliss

January 30, 2024 at 2:29 pm

The RHC went well. Had a bit of a stiff neck. Think that came from keeping my head tilted. It went away fairly quickly. The procedure itself only took around 20 min. Might have been laying on the table half hour or so. It took a few minutes to set up the machine.

Most of the prep work was done in another room so it was fairly comfortable.

• jen-cueva

January 31, 2024 at 2:01 pm

Hey, @Roger Bliss, I’m happy to hear your RHC went well. Yep, it is usually over so fast. I tend to stress right before mine, even after countless RHCs. It’s also helpful to have it done at UCSD, where they perform many.

Did they go in through your neck? The stiffness should resolve quickly for you. I have used a heating pad/pack on my neck that helped.

• Roger Bliss

February 1, 2024 at 2:11 pm

Yes they went through my neck. The stiffness we away fairly quickly after the procedure.

• jen-cueva

February 2, 2024 at 1:44 pm

Hey, @Roger Bliss, I’m thankful your neck soreness was short-lived. I prefer having my caths through my neck versus my groin. Some doctors go through the wrist, but I’ve not had one through my wrist yet.

Thanks for sharing, Roger. I hope you and Mary Ellen enjoy a lovely weekend and stay dry. If you’re in Arizona, you should be good.