Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Have You Experienced A Fast Heart Rate or Abnormal Rhythm?

• Have You Experienced A Fast Heart Rate or Abnormal Rhythm?

Posted by Brittany Foster on June 28, 2018 at 12:32 pm

According to the Mayo Clinic, “Heart rhythm problems (heart arrhythmias) occur when the electrical impulses that coordinate your heartbeats don’t work properly, causing your heart to beat too fast, too slow or irregularly.” (https://www.mayoclinic.org)

I have been managing arrhythmias since I was younger due to a type of heart block that I was born with. Five years ago, I was experiencing a very slow heart rate that was causing me to be extremely dizzy and pass out.  I had a  pacemaker implanted in 2013 and my heart’s electrical activity and usage of the pacemaker has been monitored ever since.  With pulmonary hypertension, my use of oxygen, and the higher demand for oxygen to my heart and body, it is no surprise that my heart and the pacemaker have had to work harder.

Over the past four years I have went from my pacemaker being used only as needed to being almost completely dependent on it for electrical activity. I have had episodes of fast heart rate called SVT (where the top part of the heart beats very fast) that causes increased anxiety, shortness of breath, and a feeling of my heart racing (palpitations). These arrhythmias are managed with the help of the pacemaker trying to keep me paced at all times and with medications to control heart rate called beta blockers.

Have you been diagnosed with an arrhythmia or felt an increase in palpitations since diagnosis? What symptoms do you experience with this? How are you managing it?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Judi Svendsen

July 4, 2018 at 8:08 am

Brittany, I also have a very fast beating heart, I have had a pacemaker since 1987 it’s been replaced 4 times. I don’t think about having one, I’m not a worrier about anything & this can be good & bad. I’ve had an Ablation which only lasted a short while (1month maybe) an then they zapped the heart and now it’s going crazy again so I’ll be back to Mayo later this month for something else to be done.

• Brittany Foster

July 5, 2018 at 6:56 am

Hi Judi,
      I’m glad that the pacemaker has become just part of who you are and it doesn’t bother you as much anymore. like you I also had an ablation that was not successful. They had to put me on high doses of beta blockers (metoprolol) During the day and night to get the arrythmias under control. It seems to be working well with the pacemaker right now so fingers crossed! I’m hoping Mayo will be able to give you more answers and come up with next steps. I know you are in good hands there!

• Terry D. Blissett

July 5, 2018 at 10:25 am

I experience significant increase in heart rate from bending or twisting with minimal effort. Not sure if it is dinthe the increased pressure placed on my heart or what. I also experienced higher than normal heart rate when attempting to wash my truck. It usually jumps up about +30bpm. I have to sit down and rest which usually causes it to return back to normal levels and then I can resume my activities.

The next day I’m usually more fatigued than normal.

• Brittany Foster

July 5, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Hey Terry,
      If this is causing you symptoms and if it ever gets uncomfortable or worrisome for you, don’t hesitate to reach out to your doctor. PH doctors and cardiologists should be working closely with one another. Maybe mention these symptoms to your PCP too and they could refer you to someone! Preferably someone who knows about PH too!