Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Have You Experienced Clubbed Fingers and/or Toes?

• Have You Experienced Clubbed Fingers and/or Toes?

Posted by Colleen on November 7, 2019 at 8:00 am

Have you experienced clubbed fingers or toes caused by your PH? Was this a symptom that caught your attention prior to diagnosis or after and how severe was the problem? Has PH treatments helped reduce the appearance of clubbed fingers or toes?

The main causes of clubbed fingers are generally conditions involving the heart and/or lungs that cause chronically low blood levels of oxygen. I was not aware of this symptom until years after my son’s diagnosis when another patient mentioned their struggle with it. Then I noticed that my son was experiencing clubbing of the fingers at times when he was experiencing frequent PH episodes.

Share your experience with this symptom and how you dealt with it.

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

November 7, 2019 at 2:12 pm

I don’t exactly have the typical clubbing of the fingers, but my toes got really old looking (almost like older person toenails) . I looks like a really hardened almost fungus like nail (gross I know) but when I went to the dermatologist she told me those were signs of poor circulation to my extremities and that was the reason for the changes in the nail appearance. She even tested a sample of it and could see that the cells were deprived of blood and oxygen. It was very interesting. I wonder if others have a dermatologist that has commented on the impacts of skin and nails?

• Colleen

November 7, 2019 at 2:35 pm

My son never had extreme clubbing but when he was in crisis that definitely had a different shape and appearance to them. What you learned from your dermatologist is interesting. I’m aware how hair can be affected by one’s healthy so I guess it makes sense that nails can suffer as well.

This is an example of how all people have to do is take a closer look at they can see the signs of just how sick people with PH are.

• Brittany Foster

November 7, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Exactly ! There are so many signs that point to things being wrong that may go undetected by the average person. For me, the nails on my hands are think and also have ridges in them down the middle. This is another sign of something going on with the blood flow in the body. She looked at this as well. It is amazing when they start putting the pieces together though and it all begins to make more sense.