• Have You Had A Kidney Biopsy?

Posted by Colleen on August 6, 2020 at 8:00 am

My son is battling stage 3 kidney disease. At every appointment kidney biopsy is considered. So far the discussions end in the opinion that it’s not quite necessary to put him though that yet.

Those of you living with kidney disease, have you ever had a kidney biopsy? If so, what was it like? Did they put you under and what was recovery like? He has had biopsies on his heart and lungs post-transplant which he handled well. I’m wondering how similar the experience is.

Dawn replied 3 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 6, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I am sorry to hear that Cullen will need a kidney biopsy. I have not had this procedure. But, I found some excellent information about the procedure and what to expect.

I am hoping and praying that they can hold off on that for a while. How is your new BP med working?

• Colleen

August 6, 2020 at 7:40 pm

@jenc they keep bringing up the biopsy but decide it’s not time yet. I think they might just be giving him a heads up that at some point he will need one.

Well, the new BP med definitely works…a little to well. His BP dropped very low and very fast yesterday. I was worried he would have to go the ER. A nurse stayed in contact with us and said his numbers weren’t low enough to have to go to the ER. She said he would just have to ride out the side-effects and start taking it once a day instead of twice.

He’s going to take it tonight. Fingers crossed it doesn’t drop it too fast again.

• V.R. Peterson

August 7, 2020 at 8:26 am

@colleensteele, you and Cullen are in my prayers, as is your entire family.

• Colleen

August 7, 2020 at 2:08 pm

Thank you @mamabear007. I keep you and yours in mine too! No plan for a biopsy just yet. It’s just been discussed as something they will eventually need to do.

• jen-cueva

August 7, 2020 at 3:35 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I’m grateful that Cullen is feeling a bit better today. I keep y’all in my continued prayers. I hope that they can hold off as long as possible for the kidney biopsy.

Y’all have been through so much with this transition. How are you feeling with this so far? All still going pretty well?

• Dawn

August 10, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Colleen, I’ve never had a kidney biopsy, but my brother had kidney cancer a few years ago and had multiple ones. He is fine after treatment, a true blessing. He has told me that it wasn’t that bad to have the biopsy, but I’m not sure if he was under full sedation or not. Thoughts and prayers to you and Cullen.