Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Pediatric PH Have You Or A Loved One Ever Spent Christmas In The Hospital

• Have You Or A Loved One Ever Spent Christmas In The Hospital

Posted by Colleen on December 16, 2021 at 9:16 pm

I don’t know how we ever pulled it off considering how close we came a few times, but Cullen has never been in the hospital on Christmas morning. But we know many PH and Transplant children who have. I’ve always wondered how families get through holiday like that so I interviewed a PH mom whose been through it with her daughter.

She admits it wasn’t ideal but all things considered, her daughter and family still found joy in their hearts of Christmas morning thanks to the kindness of many. Here is a link to the column: How To Make Christmas Happy For A Child In The Hospital.

As heartbreaking as it is to think of a child in the hospital during Christmas, I have no doubt it can put a dark cloud over the holiday for adults too. Have you or a loved one as a child or adult, ever been in the hospital for Christmas? If so, how did you get through it? What is your best memory of the experience?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • brett-c-scogin

December 20, 2021 at 4:58 am

I did in December 2006 thru 1st several days of Jan 2007.

I had gotten back from PTE surgery in Oct. We’re my wife got sick.

I was good thru till last week of November and was bedbound and wasting away not hungry and finally the lady that had drove me to all the apts in 2005-6 to get qualified for the PTE surgery came by and was furious my wife had done nothing.

Direct admit to University of Washington in a isolation room in Queeny Towers right across the street I could see the helicopters for miles away landing on rooftop with sick and injured patients.

My best memories was talking to a wonderful colored lady that cleaned the room.
    She share what she was cooking for her family and the traditions of her family she had done every year for some 30 plus years.

She was there working bright and early Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and her stories and laughter and watching the helicopters land and take off along with all the fellows, one of which nailed what was wrong.    They had drawn so much blood, tested me for everything they could think of, gave me a lung biopsy, kidney biopsy and even had CDC come ask me questions.

I told fellow it made me sick to think of food and sick when I ate.  He said that’s nausea ?   I guess if you say so, never had it till now!

Gave me zofran and bingo, started drinking those chocolate drinks and weight lose stopped and got my energy back.

Funny how a simple problem caused me to be so sick.   Every thing still from PTE surgery tasted like metal.   It finally went away with time.

• jen-cueva

December 20, 2021 at 1:09 pm

Hi @pte1941, what a wonderful memory to share during a difficult hospitalization. I’m grateful that Zofran was the answer, and it was nothing major after your PTE surgery.

Your story of the cleaning lady reminds me of last Thanksgiving. The cleaning and dietary ladies were two who prepped me up while in the hospital with COVID. I don’t recall much about this visit, but these two ladies were there almost daily. They shared about their families and things they looked forward to at home.

They were also there when I finally was discharged home and were part of my cheering team as I left down the hall. I made a note to let the patient liaison know how these 2 ladies went above and beyond. Simple acts of kindness make a difference, doesn’t it?

Thanks for sharing this story. I hope you are doing well and enjoy being home this holiday season.

• Colleen

December 21, 2021 at 6:02 pm

@pte1941 thank you for sharing that experience with us! I love the story about the cleaning lady. It made me think of a friendship my Non-PH son made with a janitor at his brother’s children’s hospital. That guy could whistle like no one else I have ever heard. You name a song and he could whistle it, or bird sounds, or…really whatever. He also had a very effective life and joyful smile so my son would seek him out every time he visited his brother in the hospital. This guy would stop whatever he was doing just to whistle for a little boy. Lot’s of special people work in hospitals and they aren’t all doctors or nurses.

Merry Christmas to you!

• jen-cueva

December 20, 2021 at 1:03 pm

I can’t imagine how difficult it is for kids to spend Christmas in the hospital. I have seen this for many years with our PH kids.

This column made my heart happy in many ways. Riley is beautiful, and it hurts my heart hearing about these little ones not being home for the holidays. Jingle Bell Junction sounds like a stress reliever and festive event for parents and children. These little things make such a huge difference for these children. Parents watching their kids smile and excited for Christmas benefits all.

Was that Kathleen, who you refer to in this piece, by chance? @colleensteele, that must have been a challenging year, having your family apart at Christmas. I’m grateful to know that at one of the toughest times, another PHamily came in and helped. It’s always a blessing to see this within the PH community. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story with a happy ending.

• jen-cueva

December 21, 2022 at 11:57 am

Hey, this one always comes to mind as we head into the full swing of the holidays. Let’s share if either a loved one or we have spent the Christmas holidays in the hospital.

How was it? Did the staff do anything that made it better? What tips and suggestions would you offer others who may be spending the holiday season in the hospital?