Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Have You Ordered Your COVID Home- Testing Kits?

• Have You Ordered Your COVID Home- Testing Kits?

Posted by jen-cueva on January 20, 2022 at 10:49 am

Yesterday, I ordered our free COVID home-testing kits from the government. I know that they supposedly will start sending them out at the end of the month.

I learned this after reading an article in the Los Angeles Times

I tried ordering a set for me and one for manny but then received a notice that only one set of 4 would be sent to each household. I wanted to have some in case we need them and none are to be found later.

You can order them from this government site, through the USPS.

I also heard last night on the news that the government will also be offering free N95 masks next month. They are taking more precautions for free this go around, it seems. But they said this would be from local pharmacies, etc. What are your thoughts on this?

Let’s talk about this. Have you seen this yet in your area? Have you ordered your free COVID home testing kit yet?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Roger Bliss

January 20, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Ordered ours.

• Colleen

January 20, 2022 at 9:31 pm

@jenc thank you so much for sharing this information and the link! I just caught wind of this recently and had not yet looked into how to receive the free kits. I’ll be interested in the masks too when that becomes available.

How accurate do you feel the home tests are? I feel better getting tested at a clinic but I would use these kits when doing that isn’t an option.

• jen-cueva

January 21, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I think the home tests can be less accurate than at a clinic. But I would like to have the home tests if they are our only option.

I’m grateful that they want to send the N95 masks but also worry that the healthcare providers may run out depending on how many they send each household. Do you have any concerns about this?

Good job, @wheeldog, on ordering your testing kits. I hate to hear about the hone tag issue with your nurse. Is there a main number you can call if this continues?

• Roger Bliss

January 22, 2022 at 11:10 am

Yeah….there is a number I can call if things get serious.

Just wondering if folks on here can wear a N 95 mask and still function. I know I can’t….get too short of breath. Even my wife has a hard time with one.

The other thing that makes me go hmmmmmmmm, I see people on oxygen wearing a mask. They are getting their air from a machine. Does that machine have some sort of filter to keep COVID out? If not the mask isn’t doing them much good.

• jen-cueva

January 24, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Interesting questions, @wheeldog! bI struggle with wearing masks, so I try not to go to many indoor places. The thicker ones, like N95, do make it more difficult to breathe. You and Mary Ellen are not alone.

I have a portable concentrator, an Inogen. Although it does have a filter, it does not filter out any viruses. This is some information that they sent in an email some time ago. Here is the link. LMK if you can read it OK.

• Roger Bliss

January 24, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Yeah……I could read it ok. Sounds like it confirms what I was thinking. Doesn’t sound like it’s a good idea to go out in public with one. Be careful if you do.

• jen-cueva

January 25, 2022 at 4:38 pm

Thank you, sir, @wheeldog. I’m happy that you could view it – it offers information that many, even those who use the POCs, are not educated enough about. So again, thanks for that question.

I try and limit my public appearances lately; it sounds like a celebrity. LOL.

• jen-cueva

February 8, 2022 at 5:14 pm

We received our COVID home-testing kits yesterday in the mail. Has anyone else received theirs yet? What about the masks that the government was providing? I have not gotten ahold of those yet but may not since they are first-come, first-serve. Have y’all?

On a positive note, yesterday on the local news, they shared that we will end the indoor mask mandates here in California on 2/15/22. I also heard later that some states plan to stop the classroom masks mandates next month. This is because they notice a downward spiral of the Omnicron cases and total COVID cases across the US. How are things in your area?