Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Transplantation Have You Seen the Movie, the God Committee?

• Have You Seen the Movie, the God Committee?

Posted by jen-cueva on February 10, 2022 at 1:52 pm

This past weekend, my hubby, Manny, and I came across an excellent movie on Amazon Prime. The film is about a transplant committee and tests ethics and other boundaries. This movie grabbed my attention, although I was furious at some scenes.

But this is an excellent movie that we can discuss and see what stands out to y’all. I know some of you who have been through the transplant process will have some opinions on this movie, too.

I must say, I wouldn’t want to be on their side of the table, either. “Playing God,” perse, as the title implies.

Ironically, the surgeon, played by Kelsey Grammer, has PH related to congenital heart disease (CHD). I was in the kitchen getting snacks when that part was revealed. But Manny rewinded it to let me hear that part.

The God Committee was free for us on Amazon Prime. If this interests you, check it out and let’s talk about this movie.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • jimi-mcintosh

February 11, 2022 at 6:44 am

I saw it too? Some parts really upset me, then others were seemly true to life.  It stretched time to the limits, caused some on the committee to show true colors and what motivate

• jimi-mcintosh

February 11, 2022 at 6:52 am

Anyone got a few million to loan me to get on the transplant list  ?  LOL.  Often wondered what it would take to do a documentary on PH , and other “silent” diseases that are as damaging as heart and cancer. People still don’t believe you are sick until you are gasping for air.  Wonder if anyone is studying COVID’s effect on these silent killers.   Great movie to watch, definitely raises BP.

• jen-cueva

February 14, 2022 at 11:33 am

Well said, @jimi! I, too, can bet my BP was high watching many parts of that movie. And, my BP usually runs low, LOL.

Yep, it also shows what money can buy, which I hope to write about soon in a column. It’s unfortunate for those who are not wealthy to lack care in certain areas where those who are are getting better care. I hope this makes sense.

You make some strong points that we all would love to hear more about. COVID certainly impacts us much harder than others. In my case and the COVID bout that I had, I can attest to this, anyway.

Hi @colleensteele, I hope that you do watch it. Please don’t feel guilty that Cullen received a transplant. I think that you will understand Jimi’s reactions once you watch it much better. It certainly is an excellent movie for discussion.

• Colleen

February 11, 2022 at 2:47 pm

@jenc I never heard of this movie but I am very interested! Maybe Cullen will watch it with me so I can take notes on his reactions and maybe write about it in the future. Could be a good topic for you to write about too, Jen!

For new members who might not know, my son had a heart and double-lung transplant when he was 14 and a kidney transplant might be in his future. Needless to say, we have experience in this area. A kidney transplant might also be in his future.

Reading @jimi reaction to the movie is making me a little nervous to watch it. Why do I have the feeling it might make me feel guilty that Cullen was able to receive one?

I think this is going to be a hot topic, Jen.

• Colleen

February 11, 2022 at 2:48 pm

@jenc actually, I’m going to ask Brian and Aidan to watch it too and make note of their reactions.

• jimi-mcintosh

February 14, 2022 at 8:46 am

My intent was not to offend anyone, it was speaking the truth of how decisions are made in some cases. I was told early on in this journey that , I would not likely to be a transplant candidate, for several reasons:age, other medical issues, longevity, availability, and future contributions to society. It was not what I wanted to hear , but after much thought, self analysis and acceptance of my true health situation than it dawned on me that they were correct

I have dealth with additional medical issues, currently on dialysis, survived , risky eye surgery and stent placement and removal . I have concluded that the scarce organs must be given to the more deserving patients.  I am following the recommended steps to better position myself for possible entry  in a kidney transplant program . Taking to potential donors, keeping to a rigid diet, figuring a way to find the process

i am truly happy for those that have been given this “gift of life , I encourage them to make the best of it. I pray for the families that made the decisions to give this gift. I encourage potential donors, to make this sacrifice .  I have a close friend that has survived for years with a heart-lung transplant and they a joy, to encourage you .

Like most movies , there is some truth, some have inspirational messages, there are real lessons to be learned and opportunities to do self analysis .  I encourage others to read more, enjoy a good movie , and above all else to laugh at ourselves  .

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Hi @jimi, I can relate to you on some of these posts. I am also not a candidate for transplant because of other failing organs, like my kidneys. I, too, have come to grips with this.

This movie does offer much truth and also many parts to ponder. I am inspired by the many who have undergone transplants and continue to push through. These people continue to follow a strict medication and diet regimen to make the best of their new organs. They switch one set of rules and bag of meds for another, as I bet @colleensteele can attest.

I love your closing paragraph, Jimi, “Like most movies , there is some truth, some have inspirational messages, there are real lessons to be learned and opportunities to do self analysis . I encourage others to read more, enjoy a good movie , and above all else to laugh at ourselves “.

We all can learn much from these few simple sentences about life. Thank you.

• Colleen

February 15, 2022 at 8:08 pm

@jimi you have such a kind heart. I promise you did not offend me. Cullen was fortunate to have a positive transplant experience but I know that isn’t the case for everyone. I’m looking forward to watching this and opening my eyes to other perspectives.

• jen-cueva

February 16, 2022 at 3:09 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I can’t wait for you and your family to watch this and see what your takeaways are. I am guessing some may be the same, but some may differ because y’all have been through the transplant process.

• debbie-moore

February 17, 2022 at 8:28 am

When anyone tries to “play” God they are doing exactly what God knew they would do.  God is always in control.  While I would have given that heart to the other man, looking at it spiritually (which I try to do) and if it were a real life story, I can’t help but think that the man who could care less about life may be getting a chance to find God.  Whenever the bad guy gets what he doesn’t deserve, I think about the story about the man taking his son and his son’s friend fishing.  A bad storm happens and they two boys fall off the boat.  He can only save one.  He saves the friend of the son because he knows his son has a relationship with Christ.  So while life doesn’t seem fair at times, there is reason and there is hope and if you know Christ there is peace.  I thought it was a good movie.

• Colleen

February 17, 2022 at 2:33 pm

Thank you @debbie for giving us some powerful thoughts to ponder. I love that you try to look at things spiritually. I’m a religious person but fail to think spiritually more often than I care to admit. Thank you for reminding me that God is in charge even when life gets hard.

• jen-cueva

February 21, 2022 at 10:21 am

Thank you, @debbie; you bring up such an important reminder. God is in control always; I believe that, too. But like you, I may not have given that heart to the guy they choose. But then again, at that moment, God would be sending me signals to help me decide. I also would not want to be in their seats.

But mentioning that that young guy may be needed to find god or some type of spirituality never popped in my mind while watching. Thanks for opening my eyes to such important thoughts to think harder about.

• jimi-mcintosh

February 17, 2022 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Debbie

in todays “new norm”, it is easy to get distracted and to forget that we all need to be less selfish and more caring. My great grandmother tried to teach us everyday that there is a “power” greater than ourselves.

what was so ironic about the movie was that the head surgeon and members of the selection group were driven by political , personal and financial rewards, not by what was right. I stayed up the night before dialysis to watch it and the end was truly surprising, yet , it left room for a sequel, dealing with the recipient.  TV is sometimes “reality” under the name of fiction..

Guess what everyone, the discussion of their movie was great therapy, we all made a contribution, took a position, defended our positions and it was fun, especially with the stress and anxiety that we function under daily.  I truly forgot about my medical issues and felt truly human for a while.

Thank You

• jen-cueva

February 21, 2022 at 10:27 am

Thanks, @jimi; I love that you shared a lesson from your great-grandmother. These essential life lessons are the best things to hold onto, especially when our worlds are so busy and often chaotic with medical appointments, etc.

I thought this would be a great discussion, but I also didn’t know what we would learn with our views and comments.

Yep, you know often we need that time to feel a bit “normal,” whatever that is, LOL – But I find here and in movies that open our eyes to things happening to others and makes us think more, like this one, is eye-opening but also brings us back to our values and things we were taught from a very young age. These old life lessons are treasures.

Thanks to all who have watched this movie and offer your thoughts. I do think many will enjoy it too.