Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Have You Tried An Anti-inflammatory Diet To Benefit PH?

• Have You Tried An Anti-inflammatory Diet To Benefit PH?

Posted by jen-cueva on October 19, 2021 at 11:06 am

We discuss many different types of diets that may help with PH. Member @valeriekv has been following an anti-inflammatory diet to help with her PH.

Here are a few resources that I found for this diet. The first one offers nutrition tips with PH and includes anti-inflammatory foods.

CVS Speciality Pharmacy -Eating Healthy with PH

Everyday Health

Have you or your loved ones tried the anti-inflammatory diet? If so, did you notice any benefits relating to PH or overall health?

jen-cueva replied 11 months ago 7 Members · 42 Replies
  • 42 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 20, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Well certainly doing a road trip, an anti-inflammatory diet would be difficult to follow. Heck, any diet is a struggle on the road.

I’m ready to get into the new place and eat real food. I did get some dry nuts and seeds. This may be another separate topic. What do y’all think? Do we have enough(members who do road trips or have in the past with PH?

• brooklyn68

February 14, 2023 at 2:08 pm

About 3 years ago I went meat and gluten free, honestly, going meat free is harder for me!  I have felt much better, and look better per my family members.  The research shows that there is benefit for us patients, so I’m sticking with it.

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2023 at 2:06 pm

Hi @brooklyn, that’s tough switching to gluten and meat-free. Like you, I would struggle more with the no meat. I don’t eat much red meat but love chicken and seafood. Congrats to you for keeping it up for 3 years.

What things have you noticed as far as feeling better? Are there any foods that you miss the most?

Is this diet change something your medical team recommended? Does your family eat the same diet?

• brooklyn68

February 15, 2023 at 2:44 pm

As great as my medical team is, there was no mention of diet changes leading up to my decision.  Other than discussion around my coumadin intake and diet, this was self.  My wife is also on a gluten free/reduced diet, but eats meat.  what I miss the most are the holiday’s and if we’re at a baseball game.

I do eat fish 2-3x a week, both filet and shell fish.

I feel alot better, exercise capacity has increased and feel I’m making contributions to a quality life.

• jen-cueva

February 16, 2023 at 12:53 pm

Hi @brooklyn, that’s good that your wife also eats a gluten-free or reduced GF. However, her eating meat while I wasn’t would be difficult for me. I don’t have that willpower, I’m afraid.

Do y’all enjoy the various GF products or not? there are so many available today to help you get those cravings satisfied. My daughter has a sensitivity to gluten so she eats mostly GF and when she doesn’t she pays for it. She lives out of state and is married. But when she visits, we look for GF options at restaurants and the store.

Although hearing about the improvements you’ve experienced could be tempting, fish would be great, but I eat a ton of chicken at least 2-3 times per week.

Oh yeah, the holidays must be extremely tough. That and at the ballpark. Those hotdogs, beer, and everything else. Is that NLB or kid’s games?

Thanks again for sharing your exp[eriences. It sounds like your body is letting you know this works for you. After noticing your improvements, does your PH team think it’s the best diet plan for you to follow?

• brooklyn68

February 16, 2023 at 3:04 pm

My wife is as gluten free as possible.  I’m not the biggest GF fan, I guess that’s from the years of eating gluten products.  For the ballpark, either kids or professional games is tough, but more professional games have better food options now.  As it relates to my PH care team, honestly they are wonderful on the diagnostic, medical management and care aspects of my condition.  They have not really embraced the diet aspect of it, even though I have broached the topic.  So, as any good patient will do, take matters into one’s hands and look for truthful information on the subject.

thanks.

• jen-cueva

February 17, 2023 at 12:57 pm

Hi @brooklyn, yes, you’re right; professional baseball games have the best foods. I know in Houston, they had some bomb BBQ.

Here at the Padres stadium, they have a variety of sushi, Asian foods, BBQ, pizza, and of course, several breweries and wine shops. Can you tell I haven’t eaten yet today? LOL

I’m grateful your PH team is taking great care of you. Yes, we, as patients, have to be our own best advocates.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. Enjoy a lovely weekend.

• brooklyn68

April 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm

An update to a previous post.  Recent medical visit and in my discussion with the practitioner brought up my dietary changes.  Really not interested (but not rude), but more ‘glad that’s working for you’ but not looking for details.

• jen-cueva

April 11, 2023 at 6:28 pm

Hi @brooklyn, interesting that your medical team was not too interested in your diet. Many healthcare teams now include a dietician or nutritionist and a pharmacist. Was this your PH team or PCP?

If the diet is working for you, that’s what’s important.

Indeed, I can understand how challenging air travel would be with the kids. You have four, right? Road trips must have some challenges at times, too. However, your family has been doing well with those quite often.

Thanks for sharing your feedback after your medical visit, Paul,

• brooklyn68

April 11, 2023 at 3:42 pm

We take plenty of road trips between kids travel sports and family being up to 4-hours/4 states away.

We plan well in advance – nuts, fruits etc so to minimize the travel impact.  Air travel is, well much more extensive, expensive (financially and emotionally).

• brooklyn68

April 14, 2023 at 8:04 pm

Did I miss a section where you have an anti inflammatory diet?  I’m in need to menu selections!  Generally speaking, I am able to travel but avoid locations >1200 feet above sea level.  That is our barometer where I start feeling the oxygen disparity.

• jen-cueva

April 17, 2023 at 1:18 pm

Hi @brooklyn, if you check out the links in the first post on this topic by scrolling above, you read some info about anti-inflammatory diets.

I also found this recently with some yummy-looking recipes that use anti-inflammatory foods. Of course, with your dietary preferences. Check out that link below.
        25+ anti inflammatory recipes

I’ll look for a post about your traveling limitations in which we talked about these elevations and tag you. You are more like me. Many can travel to 4000+ feet up and feel alright. But I feel it before I reach 3000 feet. It’s all in what our bodies are acclimated to, I believe.

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2022 at 1:37 pm

Hi @sandydenn, I read some of your post and wanted to tag you here where I shared a little information about anti-inflammatory diets. I know we had @valeriekv who was interested in and following this diet, I believe at one time. Valerie, are you following this day, still? How do you feel? Have you noticed a change in any symptoms, PH, or your autoimmune diseases?

• valeriekv

April 18, 2022 at 4:08 pm

@jenc,
      Yes, I adhere to such a diet, as I wrote earlier. Many doctors are very surprised by this. For some reason, they believe that you can eat everything in a row, and this has nothing to do with heart disease, immunity, autoimmune diseases, etc.! I have to listen very sensitively to my body. Soon I will have antennas tuned to my organs, lol!
      I do not adhere to an anti-inflammatory diet correctly, because not all the products in this diet I can eat (beans, avocados, soy, etc. cause me migraines). But many of the tips of this diet are useful, no doubt. For example, less salt and fried, more vegetables with olive oil, etc. It can even help to lose a little weight (my ultrasound doctor makes remarks to overweight patients, because it affects the heart and lungs).
      On a road trip you eat nuts and seeds, it is useful and very helpful. Baby food saves me on trips, lol.

• jen-cueva

April 19, 2022 at 1:00 pm

Hi @valeriekv, I had to laugh as ai read your comment, “Soon I will have antennas tuned to my organs, lol!” Like medications, I think that our bodies also react indifferently to foods.

It sounds like you continue to work hard at finding what works best to improve your various symptoms. Nuts and seeds are great; I love snacking on these items. Interesting that you use baby food when on trips. I don’t think I would do well with baby food because of the texture of most. Do you have a favorite brand or flavor? I could do applesauce, LOL

Thanks for your suggestions; I’m sure that @sandydenn will appreciate it, too. Take care, Val.

• valeriekv

April 19, 2022 at 2:46 pm

@jenc
        I don’t have a favorite company, I just take some liquid baby porridge or applesauce to have a snack on the way. At the same time, I study the composition (I don’t need flavors and dyes that will cause migraines). Of course, I use this for not too long trips.
        You have provided very useful links. I think they will definitely be useful to someone from the forum participants. Do you also have to adhere to an anti-inflammatory diet to some extent?

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2022 at 1:05 pm

Hi @valeriekv, thanks for that information. While traveling, do you have a challenging time if you need to get food other than the baby food you mention because of your diet?

I don’t necessarily follow an anti-inflammatory diet, but I try to eat some of the foods on the list and limit the restricted foods.

Most days, we eat well and pretty healthy, but we often splurge and eat other things that we may not eat during the week on the weekends. Fortunately, I love leafy greens, berries, nuts, and seeds, all foods that offer anti-inflammatory benefits.

• valeriekv

April 21, 2022 at 1:34 pm

@jenc
        You’re just great! I think we are constantly learning to listen to our bodies. Probably, we intuitively choose to eat what is best for us.
        If I don’t have baby food, I order plain boiled rice at the restaurant. It will definitely be safe for me!

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2022 at 2:08 pm

Hi @valeriekv, well, I think you’re pretty great, too! Thanks, my PHriend.

Choosing plain boiled rice would be a safe bet for most unless they can’t do grains. Thanks for that addition.

• hall-skara

April 19, 2022 at 4:17 pm

Most people know what food is healthy and unhealthy. Anti-inflammatory diet basically seems to be to stick to natural food and avoid processed food. It is no doubt a healthy diet. So the question: “did you notice any benefits relating to PH or overall health?” is almost like asking: “have you tried to eat healthy and noticed any health benefits?”

Of course it is beneficial for us PH patients to eat healthy – at least as much, if not more, than a person who is not sick. The same goes for exercise. As a PH patient you just need to know how to do it right and not overdo it.

I have tried to live by healthy principle since I got diagnosed 17 years ago. I am still on mono therapy despite being diagnosed with quite severe PH, and I have actually improved a lot since I was diagnosed. My max O2 is about double of what it was 17 year ago!

The problem with healthy lifestyle is that it is much more difficult to maintain than eating some pills. We know this from the general population. People are getting more and more overweight and out of shape. But as a PH patient you have a strong urge to live healthy because your life really depends on it. At least this is how I thought about it 17 years ago, and it seems to have done me well…

I will go to the US conference this summer and I thought I would share my ideas by running a presentation about my experience. However, unfortunately the program was already set, so it will have to wait until next time. No problem – I plan to stay around for a few more years. Hope you are too. Live healthy 🙂

• cathy-brown

April 19, 2022 at 5:29 pm

This is a good topic for me right now. I am really struggling to eat the way I know I should. My problem is my husband does all the shopping and all the cooking, for dinner at least. This should be a good thing, right? But his meals are healthy about a third of the time. The rest of the time, there’s too much white-flour-based stuff, processed foods, sausage in sauces, not enough veggies, etc. I told him I was going vegetarian as an excuse to quit eating that diet. But I work full time, have a kid, no one helps with housework and we have a fair bit of marital strife lately. By Saturday I’m so exhausted I sleep until 11. Then I manage about one chore before I give out. On Sundays I have more energy, but I don’t have enough time to do the rest of the housework plus healthy shopping and meal prep for the weekdays. I have nothing extra to give on weekdays. I do force myself to go for at least a short walk every day. I wish I could somehow find the time and energy to cook my own meals, but for now, I’ve decided to quit beating myself up and just be happy that I’m getting a walk in.

• valeriekv

April 20, 2022 at 2:21 am

@hall-skara hi!
        You’re absolutely right. I agree with all of this. It’s great that your oxygen has increased over the years!
        @catbrown
        Hi! You should never feel guilty for having a PH! I think your husband is with you because he loves you, not out of pity. Being grateful that we are not abandoned is a big problem for chronically ill people. I don’t know you personally, but I think you’re wonderful. We are all here with you and your family is with you.
        Could you ask your husband to cook a little healthier? For example, bake more than fry. Or use whole grain rice flour instead of wheat flour? It wouldn’t be that hard for him. If he doesn’t want to deviate from traditional dishes, you could make some yourself. I try to cook something quick and easy. For example, classic American muffins are made so fast! I alter many recipes for myself to make it easier and more useful. I like Applesauce Cake (I found it on the “Eat, Little Bird” website). I remove the raisins and rum, use olive oil, quail eggs and ready-made applesauce. This needs to be mixed and put in the oven. I try to cook dinners in the same way to spend less effort. Maybe you can use some of this?

• cathy-brown

April 20, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Thanks so much for your support. I have asked him to cook healthier. He does for a little while and then reverts back to the old ways. Changing eating habits is so hard.

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2022 at 1:22 pm

Hi @catbrown, please know you are doing a ton, and this must be challenging with PH. I commend you for your efforts, and walking every day is something I’m trying to do, although I miss a few days. My walks are pretty short, but it’s more than I was doing last year.

It’s great that your husband cooks, but as Val suggests, maybe make a few suggestions. I use my air fryer and don’t fry anything in oil. It’s great for simple meals. I did a shrimp and veggie skillet last week that was simple and quick. We ate it with a side salad. It’s shrimp, zucchini, squash, onion, and bell pepper. I seasoned it with some spices and air-fried minus the shrimp for about 12-15 minutes. Then add the shrimp for 3-4 minutes, depending on the size. Manny loved it, too, so I will make it again.

I know @colleensteele and her family were doing a meal kit delivery program. I’ve done a few in the past too. Usually, you can select by dietary preferences and servings. All ingredients come together, and he could make those for dinner. I can’t remember which we used, but Colleen may remember the one they like. Also, most offer so many free meals or a pretty good discount at sign-up.

As far as marriages and PH, it certainly takes a toll. Here’s an older column that I did about this. Hopefully, you and your hubby can discuss things more and choose meals together. Communication is vital in any relationship.

You are one strong and busy woman; please know that you’re enough and doing more than you think. Big hugs are coming your way from San Diego.

• cathy-brown

April 20, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Thanks so much for your support. It makes me feel better. We may try a meal kit.

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2022 at 11:59 am

Hi @catbrown, you’re right; changing our eating habits is a challenge. As I mentioned, I usually eat healthier for the most part, but the weekends come, and that goes out the window.

Being stocked with pantry items that are healthier picks makes a difference. But like for dinner tonight, I almost did a new grocery order because I wanted something more than chicken, salad, and veggies, which is on the plan.

Also, my hubby loves to bring “me” home snacks that neither of us needs. But he doesn’t get one item to share; he brings bags of candy and cookies at once. So, if he made dinner every day, it would probably be grilled meat, burgers, and pizza, which are his faves. I see a trend here, LOL.

Please let us know if you decide to try the meal plan kits and how that goes. Gentle reminders that you all would be better off making better eating choices may work.

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2022 at 1:12 pm

Hi @hall-skara, you are correct!
      We tend to know what we should eat but maintaining that is the challenge. AS I mentioned to Val above, we tend to eat healthier most of the week. But on the weekends, we often splurge a day.

I didn’t realize that we’d both been diagnosed for 17 years. Your improvements are remarkable to hear! Which mono-therapy pill are you on? Has this been the only treatment for PH since you were diagnosed, or has it changed through the years?

That’s great news that you plan to attend the PH Conference in Atlanta this year. I was asked to speak, but I couldn’t commit at that date, so I will wait for the next one, which is usually in 2 years. I’ve led a patient panel discussion at the conference twice. It was a fun experience.

Yes, we plan to keep you around, too. I love your positivity; keep on PHighting- great to see you posting again.

• hall-skara

April 20, 2022 at 4:39 pm

Hi Jen!

When I was first diagnosed, I started with Bosentan. However, I had to stop after a few months due to elevated liver values. I was then put on Sildenafil which is the only drug I’ve used in 17 years.

Nowadays, I would probably have been put on a dual therapy. However, since I have been doing so well on my mono therapy, I will probably just continue with this one drug unless I start to deteriorate.

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2022 at 2:13 pm

Hi @hall-skara, I’m grateful to hear that your monotherapy is working so well for you. Like you, I think the less treatments we need, the better. But knowing that if and when your PH progresses, you have options is vital.

You’re right; most PH teams prefer dual, if not triple, or more therapies. The most concerning for me is the additional dose effects and running out of medication options if we always go with the most versus what our bodies can do well and stabilize.

Thanks for making this important comment, Hall.

• Colleen

April 20, 2022 at 12:30 am

@catbrown I have to jump in here and commend you for making an effort to get a walk in every day. You have inspired me to get back into that routine. More times than not I feel like I’m not achieving enough in a day and therefore think I shouldn’t make time for a walk. I find walks rejuvenating so I’m not sure why I’m depriving myself of them.

My husband is also the chef in our family and healthy is not often on the menu. I’m a great crockpot cook…lol, and I’ve been thinking about taking over the meals for a while. We all need to eat healthier.

• kygon

April 20, 2022 at 7:55 am

My husband also does most of the cooking and even though he is the one who is sick he isn’t one for healthy eating.  I have to be mindful of my diet because of my BP being sky high.. anyhow some little tips and tricks that work for me are replacing rice and some noodles with riced cauliflower, bc zucchini noodles get mushy..  and I can just buy a box of single packets at costco and it only means leaving things separate on pasta or rice dish nights, I also use La tortilla low carb high fiber wraps for bread or just do a lettuce wrap. I also buy my own frozen veggie on cauliflower crust pizzas to pop in the oven on pizza night, and I tossed all the regular salt and replaced it with Himalayan Pink salt, it is healthier for heart and my husband only commented on it because it’s pink hahaha. I try to pre dice tomato’s, carrots, cucumbers and peppers and put in separate little portion size containers for the week to snack on, it also encourages me to grab a pack or make a quick salad during the week after work rather than reaching for some crackers or chips. I also add nuts or seeds to salad for that crunch rather than the croutons .. it’s not the same so sometimes I cheat and take two or three croutons and crush them into a sprinkle… I find it very satisfying and sometimes I just need to cheat a little, I used to be the gal that could make the salad worse for me than the greasy burger for sure! Every improvement helps and beating myself up over slip ups and a few bad choices here and there isn’t worth the increase in my BP when I stress, I also keep dark chocolate in the house for a little treat now and again… I find two or three little squares absolutely rewarding and we all deserve a reward right?   hahaha

I also found a friend that exercises with me three times a week, and I highly recommend the buddy system… especially if your like me and its easy to find More important things to do, its kind of a commitment to each other and eventually you look forward to just the chit chat and forget your exercising at all!

I hope these tiny tricks might be useful for someone here although honestly I didn’t really research this particular diet so it might not be useful at all.

With my husbands PAH I can’t afford to have a heart attack or stroke so adjusting my own diet was a necessity. I wish my husband would adjust his diet with me but the teenage boys in the house will definitely not be changing theirs so our pantry will continually be stalked with bad choices..   Good luck everyone on your own diet journey

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2022 at 2:02 pm

Hi @kygon, thanks so much for sharing your valuable tips and tricks. I also use low-carb tortillas for wraps, especially during the summer. But I also love to use them to do fun grilled chicken wraps when we have leftovers from grilling chicken. Depending on what’s in the pantry and fridge and my mood, I do different twists with these. I also love buying chopped salads and using those to fill my wraps. I don’t use all of the ingredients if I think it is too high in sodium, etc.

Prepping your snacks for the weak in advance is helpful. My daughter, a dietician, always reminds me to have things to snack on that are healthier. I currently have berries, cucumbers, and apples. Nuts and seeds are excellent ways to add crunch and extra nutrients to salads.

It sounds like you have developed a plan that works well for you, kudos! I can only imagine how much your husband cooks with your teenage boys. They eat pretty well, from what I’ve seen.

Did your husband’s PH team not suggest a specific diet, like heart-healthy?

I’m sure that many others reading your post will find a few tips to try; thanks for sharing.

• kygon

April 20, 2022 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Jen! I am so glad you found the same wraps, they are delicious! I hope someone finds something I shared helpful. Oh yes berries in the fridge I forgot to mention is a must! super food and yummy/sweet snack indeed. We just got a green house and now hopefully I can grow all year long!

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2022 at 12:06 pm

Hi @kygon, I laughed at your hubby’s comments on a diet. That sounds like Manny, my hubby. When I remind him to make better choices, he tells me, “life is too short.” So, I relate but agree -hehe.

I do agree and our daughter, a registered dietitian, also suggests eating a variety in moderation. But certain foods don’t work well with this. Have y’all found this challenge too?

Oh, a greenhouse? I’m jealous! My mom planted a garden at my late grandmother’s house when I left. I grew up with family and friends having huge gardens and eating fresh veggies year-round. I’ve done tomatoes, herbs, and peppers in buckets on my back patio deck at our previous home.
        I’m looking forward to hearing about your bountiful harvest.

Yes, those wraps are easy meals and such a variety.

• kygon

April 20, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Jen, yes Dr has advised husband of diet but he chooses to “live life to it’s fullest .. including the menue” but Quality over quantity is our motto … so I understand and support his decision

• cathy-brown

May 4, 2022 at 3:04 pm

My plan for slowly changing my eating habits switched to not so slow last week. I found out my cholesterol levels have skyrocketed since last year and are now “dangerously high.” I saw my PCP today and she was going to immediately put me on statins but then found out how much full-fat dairy I was consuming and that we had eaten nothing but fast food for seven days in December as we moved across country and have still been eating fast food at least once a week. She said she’d let me try to control it with diet for four months and check again. I went grocery shopping with my husband last week and did some meal prep last weekend so I’d have a few things ready to go. Left the house uncleaned for the most part. So far, the diet is going better than expected. I plan to switch things up even more this coming week. My biggest problem is cheese! I love cheese, so I’m still having some of that. Wish me luck! My biggest motivation is that I waited until the last possible minute to have a child, so I am now 59 with a 12-year-old and some serious medical stuff going on. I gotta stick around for my boy.

• jen-cueva

May 5, 2022 at 10:55 am

Hi @catbrown, I’m sorry about your high cholesterol. That certainly can be lowered by watching your diet. I know fast food is easy to pick up, and with moving, it takes time to unpack and have your kitchen ready again. Do you like avocados? They are an excellent source of good fats and yummy, too.

What things did you meal prep? I have done that before for my hubby, Manny, and I/ My daughter often meal preps; she’s a dietician.

Did your doctor give you a diet plan to follow or suggest low cholesterol, low-fat diet? I relate to your love of cheese; I’m like a little mouse! But, you shouldn’t need to cut it out; try and limit it better. Here is something I found that you may find helpful. I’m no fan of cottage cheese, so that would not be a pick. But if you like it, it’s also a source of protein.

Take one day at a time and know you can enjoy the years ahead with your son. This is only a minor speed bump in your journey. You can do this, too!

• jen-cueva

February 10, 2023 at 12:06 pm

Hi @valeriekv, this was one post we discussed the anti-inflammatory diet. You followed a strict diet; are you sticking with this eating plan?

Have you found any new foods that either help or worsen your inflammation?

• valeriekv

February 12, 2023 at 12:48 pm

Hi, @jenc!
      My strict diet does not end. But last year I was able to diversify the company of familiar products a little: apricots, nectarines and persimmons appeared on my menu.
      It is very important for me that the products are very fresh. When the products are not fresh a little, these can cause skin itching, headache, or other unpleasant sensations.

• jen-cueva

February 13, 2023 at 11:59 am

Hi @valeriekv, it’s good to learn that you were able to add a few more foods to your list. Yummy, I love those all. You mention the items must be really fresh. Do you shop often or go to Farmer’s Markets?

My apologies if you have shared and I forgot, but do you live alone or with family? I was wondering how challenging this is if you are cooking for others in the house, etc. I thought for some reason that you are close to my daughter’s age or a tad older, but maybe I recall that incorrectly.

Those are not pleasant side effects, so no wonder you’ve found that you need to stick strictly to your food list. How long has this been your diet regimen?

• valeriekv

February 14, 2023 at 1:34 pm

Hello, @jenc!
        I do not know how close I am in age to your daughter ???? I am thirty, I live with my mother and stepfather. Fortunately, my mom takes care of my nutrition. They very rarely eat things that don’t suit me. But we must show imagination so that the dishes are not monotonous.
        My diet wasn’t always like this. Ten years ago, I just ADORED cheese, and had no problems with other products. Gradually I had to give up a lot.
        Once or twice a week we buy vegetables at the market and dairy products at the “dairy store”. We also buy homemade chicken and eggs as needed.
        I live in a small town. There are a lot of people who run a household here. In supermarkets we buy almost only household supplies! ????
        I know people from big cities, they can only buy groceries in supermarkets. Many of them regret that there are few natural fresh products in the big city. Is that the case with you too? Or do you have the opportunity to visit farmers’ markets?

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2023 at 2:01 pm

Hi @valeriekv, yep, there’s a year difference between you and my daughter. Too funny!

I’m grateful that you live with family. Do you have siblings closeby or you an only child?

Wow, I would love to shop for all of my food in farmer’s markets and from farmers. Growing up as a young child, my grandparytents had large gardens so we ate the food from there. Many people back in the country where my grandparents lived also butchered and smoked their own meats. Others had chickens for poultry and eggs. I remember barely going into a supermarket then.

Times are different and because I’m in San Diego, we ship at the local supermarket. However, we enjoy shopping the local Farmner’s Markets when they have a ton of seasonal produce and fresh eggs.

In Texas, we lived about 20 minutes from a large farm. We often went there to purchase produce and they also had their own smokehouse. Mmm- I can smell the aromas coming out of there as we would get out of the Jeep.

Thanks for sharing some more about your personal life and shopping for nutritious foods. It’s great to see how healthy you and your parents are eating. Keep up the great work!